Nick Eason expected to take DL job at Clemson

W.E.D

Dabo has the same type of charisma with these coaches that he does with his players. Took many of these guys a decade plus of working with him to leave. Hell, even to replace the guys that left, he just promoted within for the most part. I know they just promoted Streeter to replace Elliot and I think they did the same with Brent. 

For them to have went outside the circle (guy has no ties to Dabo himself), means that they probably gave a pretty good pitch to him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Also, two things to think about...1. Eason is a professional, there's no way he didn't approach CBH when talks started. 2. CBH has had a plan for everything, no need to think he doesn't have one when the time comes to replace staff members

You know, I just thought about the initial reaction to this hire compared to how we're reacting to him leaving less than a year later. 

I'm buying what you're selling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's his alma mater it's not that surprising. I think he's worked with that DC before as well. Yes it stinks but I don't think it's indicative of a problem at Auburn.

Personally I wouldn't want to work for that jack ass Dabo but it's another boost to his resumè and coaching tree.

We need a replacement that's a great recruiter. Eason had made some real headway with the 2023 class. It's important a new hire is made before spring ball (which is more than attainable). Would love to get another NFL guy. That was a huge selling point to some of these DL we have landed.

• Like 3

One things for sure, head coaches, and especially ours this year, have to know how to deal with a lot of stress.  If all these changes stress me out, I can’t imagine what he’s going through! I really liked Eason and, from all accounts, the players did too.  😩

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This I hate. I remember someone saying that when BH hired all of these coaches, he asked for a three year commitment? I guess that only applies unless a better job becomes available. Hopefully that was just a rumor. Anyway, we have some massive talent on D-Line, so the next guy should be happy

I’m sure the WR coach brought that up before he left. It is the way it works in CFB and up.

• Like 1

I'm sure that Dabo being the upstanding guy that we all know asked for permission to interview Eason, so this should be no surprise to CBH. I expect a replacement to be named soon. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Is Clemson better than us?

They have something like a decade of 10 win seasons in a row.  ACC or not, that's impressive.  We've never had back to back 10 win season.  Ever.....

I hear you, but that says more about schedule than excellence IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Who else outside of the SEC has beaten Alabama recently other than Clemson?

Clemson lost 10-3 to UGA in the 1st game this season. The same UGA team that just got through dismantling the BIG 10 champ Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Clemson has been very competitive with the SEC. That's why they've built up a lot of credibility, despite playing in the ACC. They've recruited on par with the top SEC teams. Look at Oklahoma, they've been making the playoffs in recent years but they've been getting bounced in the semi-finals by every SEC team they've faced.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Clemson lost 10-3 to UGA in the 1st game this season. The same UGA team that just got through dismantling the BIG 10 champ Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Clemson has been very competitive with the SEC. That's why they've built up a lot of credibility, despite playing in the ACC. They've recruited on par with the top SEC teams. Look at Oklahoma, they've been making the playoffs in recent years but they've been getting bounced in the semi-finals by every SEC team they've faced.

I'm not saying we're better than them. We're not.

I'm saying they probably wouldn't have maintained the same record playing our schedule every single year.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Not to mention…this was also the worst Clemson team in about a decade

They have had more NFL talent than anyone in this conference except UGA and Alabama. They beat A&M twice, split with UGA in the early 10s, gave Alabama arguably their most embarrassing loss ever, are on a 4 game winning streak vs Auburn, and kick the dog crap out of USC. CU would have no problem with the SEC 

• Like 1

Sucks because he's awesome. He did a fantastic job in restoring the depth on the line and is leaving the next guy a much better group than he inherited. That said, while it hurts, Mason and Harsin will get us another good one 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Rumor or not, how you going to stop someone from leaving? Part of the business. Not personal, just business. 

Yeah you can’t. Me personally, don’t say you’re committing to something you know you aren’t committed to. I know it’s a business, highly unrealistic, etc. That’s why I hope BH never asked them to do that. Cause it does put them in a tough spot too. I may have just talked myself out of being offended. Good talk, Dag.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Need someone with a NFL pedigree to replace him

Fortunately, Harsin put a premium on that with the Eason hire and it worked, so hopefully he agrees. Like @Zeek said and I'm guessing you're inferring, it's what our current guys signed up for. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Replace All of Auburn's teams over the last decades and we'd have a fraction of success.  It's more than them vs a weak schedule.  

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Fortunately, Harsin put a premium on that with the Eason hire and it worked, so hopefully he agrees. Like @Zeek said and I'm guessing you're inferring, it's what our current guys signed up for. 

We traded up when Rocker left.  I forgot about Eason being our 2nd DL coach

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Need someone with a NFL pedigree to replace him

Some of the names metafour has put out has been impressive. I don’t expect a quick new hire. I’ve learned the methodical process with CBH.

• Like 1

I don't like it for two reasons:

#1 - doesn't count, I am just being an Auburn fan

#2 is real:  he just sold some great players who had a chance (have?) a low to moderate chance to play in the NFL to stay and get developed by HIM.  

I normally would say that is part of recruiting, but this feels worse.  

I don't like it for the players on our DL the most and me as fan second.

could a couple of our DL hit the portal and move to Clem?

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Same with Davis,  Harsin clearly values young NFL coaching talent.

• Like 1

That's the cfb business -- good HCs should expect their successful young position coaches & coordinators to be hired away.  I trust CBH will have a list of suitable replacements.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Some of the names metafour has put out has been impressive. I don’t expect a quick new hire. I’ve learned the methodical process with CBH.

In years past, I would hate the wait, because we'd still get a terrible hire.  Harsin seems to do his due diligence for every major decision by methodically taking his time to consider every avenue before making a decision.

Of course, I expect Mason to have major input as well.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TJRanger175 said:

Kenechi Udeze makes a lot of sense.

Former 1st round pick by the Vikings who had a promising career but came down with Leukemia.

He probably met Mason while with the Vikings (Mason got there before Udeze retired).

He has a pretty awesome story.

Known commodity. NFL experience as a player and a coach. SEC experience as a coach.

Would be very excited if we hired Udeze.  Thanks for the background info!