Texas A&M Transfer QB Zach Calzada Commits to Auburn

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe I've missed something but why do people always jump to the conclusion that DD is transferring when every time this rumor comes up DD squashes it?

Some people feed off of negativity.

8 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Is Jimbo Fisher no longer considered a good QB coach? 

Crablegs are not as abundant in college station...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, WarEagle2 said:

Is that all our program is now?

That was clearly a joke by the poster

43 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

This thread should be fun. 

I’m quite sure I’m in minority but some part of me still believes this doesn’t rule us out for CW

CW?

26 minutes ago, WarEagle2 said:

No, it's been that way for about the last 10 years or so...

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Caleb Williams

I thought we were gonna start talking about old  episodes of Dawson's Creek for a second.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Poor Calzada can't even get on campus with most of y'all booing him. Good lord, he is a kid trying to do his best. I for one like this QB I think he did pretty good at Texas A&M. Relax let him go through spring and summer before we give up damn. 🤦Also this isn't the only one we are going after and probably won't be the last one we get. 🤷

I'm not overly thrilled with the signing but, I'll at least give him a chance. My Google skills are failing me at the moment, I'm trying to remember why Jimbo is considered a QB whisperer.

Looking at his starting QBs at FSU. The only one that really jumps out at me is Crablegs Winston.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WarEagle2 said:

Yes.  And double yes.   Alabama is the team to beat.   In case you haven’t been paying attention in the last 13 years.   If you have a team that is capable of beating Alabama, you have a team capable of beating anyone on your schedule.   It’s as simple as that.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, selias said:

I'm not overly thrilled with the signing but, I'll at least give him a chance. My Google skills are failing me at the moment, I'm trying to remember why Jimbo is considered a QB whisperer.

Looking at his starting QBs at FSU. The only one that really jumps out at me is Crablegs Winston.

Bingo. Winston succeeded despite Jimbo, not because of him. Took Fisher 2 seasons to just figure out how to correctly use ole crablegs. 

3 minutes ago, selias said:

I get not being thrilled I do. Also we have a QB whisper too who helped Bo improve this year even if we was just a little.

Also we get to see how good Austin Davis really is with QBs.

Jimbo Fisher has helped out more QBs then just Winston. Just because he has only won one championship doesn't mean he has had only one good QB. 

If you're expecting Calzada to be a big upgrade over what we had in Bo Nix then I'll caution you that you'll probably end up very disappointed, but at least we have a serviceable QB on the roster that can help us in our 2022 "bridge" year to the 2023 season when Auburn will be expected to start having a big upswing. 

11 minutes ago, selias said:

Its probably from his time as an OC or Qb coach, maybe?

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If you're expecting Calzada to be a big upgrade over what we had in Bo Nix then I'll caution you that you'll probably end up very disappointed, but at least we have a serviceable QB on the roster that can help us in our 2022 "bridge" year to the 2023 season when Auburn will be expected to start having a big upswing. 

I just don't get takes like this, Calzoney is the prototypical QB for Harsin's system.  If Harsin and Davis believe they can develop him to efficiently run this offense then it would be a huge upgrade over Nix who could only effectively run the offense about 50% of the time and TJ who could only run it 25% of the time.

Also keep in mind the general consensus is that Auburn will likely sign one more QB through the transfer portal besides Calzada.

Here is what I know from watching TJ and Zach play.   Calzada is the better QB.   That’s just my eye test and I’m glad that he chose Auburn.   In a worst case scenario where Auburn does not get another QB, I feel better  going into next year about QB than I would if TJ was going to be the starter.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

I just don't get takes like this, Calzoney is the prototypical QB for Harsin's system.  If Harsin and Davis believe they can develop him to efficiently run this offense then it would be a huge upgrade over Nix who could only effectively run the offense about 50% of the time and TJ who could only run it 25% of the time.

Maybe you're right. I hope so. 

Maybe Harsin and co believe Calzada can be a special QB who can fit their system and will perform very well in it. Or maybe Calzada was simply deemed to be one of the best options AU could realistically get to carry us through at the QB slot this next year. 

I'm not disappointed we got him, but i'm not going to hold my breath on the idea that he'll be some diamond in the rough guy either. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger