Texas A&M Transfer QB Zach Calzada Commits to Auburn

Zeek

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If you're expecting Calzada to be a big upgrade over what we had in Bo Nix then I'll caution you that you'll probably end up very disappointed

I don’t think anyone would say he is an upgrade over Bo but we all hope he is an upgrade over TJ. 
AU fans have lost their minds because some thought CW was a real option even though the people that cover AU kept saying that is a huge long shot and we were getting Calzada. They have been saying it the last 3 days. 
Give the guy a chance. I said the same thing for TJ and that was a bust. So…We will try again with Cal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually agree.  I'm fully expecting DD to transfer at this point, meaning the QB room would still be thin.

DD is definitely a head scratcher, but he should stay until at least after spring to see where he ends up.  There was the article about his Dad wanting him to redshirt, but then we could have seen him in the bowl game and didn't, which is puzzling.

I'm going with Harsin promised TJ a chance to compete for QB1 when he transferred in and it seemed like he got that with Bo struggling and then hurt.  If the plan for DD all along was to redshirt, well that was accomplished.

Now, we need more QB depth and we are in a situation where there is not a QB1 named yet.  Auburn should bring in at least one more and let the chips fall where they may after competition in the spring.

We have seen what Calzada can do.  We have seen what Finley can do. Would like to see what Davis can do. Geriner will be on campus soon. I would think that most would agree in today's game, QB mobility is a MUST. I just hope that now, we can bring in some Oline dudes as well as Wide Receivers. 

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

I get not being thrilled I do. Also we have a QB whisper too who helped Bo improve this year even if we was just a little.

Also we get to see how good Austin Davis really is with QBs.

Jimbo Fisher has helped out more QBs then just Winston. Just because he has only won one championship doesn't mean he has had only one good QB. 

Took me a bit but I found something at least. Jimbo's starting FSU QBs:

Crablegs

EJ Manuel

Christian Ponder

Deondre Francois

Sean Maguire

James Blackmon

Everett Golson

Clint Trickett

Maybe he was better with QBs as an OC or QB coach?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Yes totally agree !!

Yes. If the coaching staff can pull together the players to improve our Offensive Line, then we may be on the mend. Hoping it comes about.

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Poor Calzada can't even get on campus without most of y'all booing him. Good lord, he is a kid trying to do his best. I for one like this QB I think he did pretty good at Texas A&M.

Let's Relax and let him go through spring and summer before we give up on the season damn. 🤦Also this isn't the only one we are going after and probably won't be the last one we get. 🤷

Watch out. You'll be accused of giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt. Of victimizing and squashing fans' opinions. Definitely won't be accused of giving the player a fair shake. No siree. :comfort: 

I’m happy just knowing we got one lol. (Sad I know). We’ll see what our coaches can do with him. Until they prove otherwise I’m going to trust that they know what they are doing. War Eagle and welcome to the Plains!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t think anyone would say he is an upgrade over Bo but we all hope he is an upgrade over TJ. 
AU fans have lost their minds because some thought CW was a real option even though the people that cover AU kept saying that is a huge long shot and we were getting Calzada. They have been saying it the last 3 days. 
Give the guy a chance. I said the same thing for TJ and that was a bust. So…We will try again with Cal. 

He has not played near as much as Bo has. May definitely improve with coaching and experience (Bo certainly did).

46 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

But do we have any offensive lineman yet?

Yes we do they played last year, granted not well but they still played. Hope that helps 😁😂

This is a good move as long as it’s for depth at the position . If it’s meant as more than that, I will not be able to expect more than 6 wins next year. I will root for more, but no way I can honestly expect it. If this is the QB roster going into the year, we may very well be looking at starting a true freshman again.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Golf, what's your take on this as far as future portal QB'S

We're not done yet anything can happen. Everyone needs to know this is the new recruiting of free agents just like the pro's. Zack is only committed not until he is enrolled is it official.

• Like 1

“Pro-style QB prospect with good height and frame length. Owns plenty of space to add bulk in college. Shows good touch on throws downfield. Can drop the ball on top of the receiver down the seam. Should become great on timing patterns because of touch and "catchable" ball. Not a true dual-threat, but a capable runner with mobility to keep defenses honest. Extends plays with legs and makes accurate throws on the run. Needs to get quicker in his release. Throws with somewhat of a whiplash, windup motion. Can add strength to frame to increase velocity and overall throw power. At times throws off back foot. Production has been pedestrian during junior and senior seasons. Possesses a promising physical ceiling and encouraging playmaking feel for the game to give him Power 5 starter potential.”

Him coming out of HS

3 hours ago, Didba said:

I just don't get takes like this, Calzoney is the prototypical QB for Harsin's system.  If Harsin and Davis believe they can develop him to efficiently run this offense then it would be a huge upgrade over Nix who could only effectively run the offense about 50% of the time and TJ who could only run it 25% of the time.

Your being mighty generous to TJ.  😬

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

throws a decent ball 

@Tigerpro2a  broke down some of his film on the football forum thread and gave his opinion, if you are curious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

With a 96 yard KO return thrown in.

Although the most impressive moment in that game was the grit he had to retake the lead after Bama came all the way back. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I will rest easy when CW signs with someone else myself. All we need is a million dollar college QB. Period.

We had one, won a national championship with him. 

• Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Yes we do they played last year, granted not well but they still played. Hope that helps 😁😂

By the way, have any of the other current O Lineman besides Keiondre Jones chosen to return for another year?