Texas A&M Transfer QB Zach Calzada Commits to Auburn

Zeek

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What's wild is Nix level production gets us to probably 9-4 or maybe 10-3 if he was really limited vs MSU, after 6-7 everyone would be pretty ecstatic about that for a 1st year. 

Calzada might be a little more inaccurate than Bo, less shifty, but he can push the ball down field better than Bo.  So I'd hope we could have somewhat similar results.  Our schedule is kind of ugly with two stretches of LSU/@UGA/@Ole Miss then Ark/@State/Aggies.  Hopefully we can manage an 8-4 type season with a slightly improved Calzada.  Harsin/Austin Davis will need to work some magic to get us a lot high, IMO.

8-4 next year would be an acceptable bridge to something more solid for years afterward.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What's wild is Nix level production gets us to probably 9-4 or maybe 10-3 if he was really limited vs MSU, after 6-7 everyone would be pretty ecstatic about that for a 1st year. 

Calzada might be a little more inaccurate than Bo, less shifty, but he can push the ball down field better than Bo.  So I'd hope we could have somewhat similar results.  Our schedule is kind of ugly with two stretches of LSU/@UGA/@Ole Miss then Ark/@State/Aggies.  Hopefully we can manage an 8-4 type season with a slightly improved Calzada.  Harsin/Austin Davis will need to work some magic to get us a lot high, IMO.

Calzada is more accurate than Bo with less experience. 

If Nix doesn't get hurt we likely finish 9-3. If we had Calzada this year we likely finish 9-3. I could even see us winning the PSU game with Calzada so possibly 10-2. IF's and Buts though, ya know.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Calzada is more accurate than Bo with less experience. 

If Nix doesn't get hurt we likely finish 9-3. If we had Calzada this year we likely finish 9-3. I could even see us winning the PSU game with Calzada so possibly 10-2. IF's and Buts though, ya know.

I keep hearing  people say a " Harsin style QB". I haven't researched what that means.. Is he more open to dual threat than Bobo? What kinda  QB did he have at Boise.?Seems like we have the extreme skill set in QB room from Finley ( pocket passer) to DD (true dual threat)

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I keep hearing  people say a " Harsin style QB". I haven't researched what that means.. Is he more open to dual threat than Bobo? What kinda  QB did he have at Boise.?Seems like we have the extreme skill set in QB room from Finley ( pocket passer) to DD (true dual threat)

From what I can tell he is open to a dual threat QB to some degree. But abilities that lean towards a throw first run if necessary style seem to be preferred. 

I don’t think Harsin would have recruited DD to the team given what we have seen so far. But that that “Harsin style “ might be more fluid given the state of our Olive. 

All speculation of course 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

From what I can tell he is open to a dual threat QB to some degree. But abilities that lean towards a throw first run if necessary style seem to be preferred. 

I don’t think Harsin would have recruited DD to the team given what we have seen so far. But that that “Harsin style “ might be more fluid given the state of our Olive. 

All speculation of course

Agreed. Anyone would prefer a mobile guy if he has all the other qualities, but all the other qualities- accuracy, decision making, etc- are probably more important to Harsin under normal circumstances. 

I think Geriner probably fits his mold, but like you said, maybe not this season. Rookie QB is going to need more help than Bo got from the run game last year. Bo needed more help than he got, too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

Derrick Hall, ?, Zach and Jarquez Hunter at 🏀 yesterday.

I think the other guy was Jaylin Simpson. I remember seeing it posted on here somewhere yesterday and I am pretty sure that is who the post said it was. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, JBiGGiE said:

I'm trying to tell myself that QB recruited by Jimbo Fisher should be a good pickup... But I'm still just not that excited. Maybe it's the stench of "But, he beat Bama" (because we all know that's a justifiable reason for not cutting your losses) that blinds me to his potential.

What we need is better-than-Bo-Nix production next year or we will be hurt'n. I don't know if Zach Calzada (or TJ Finley) can do that, especially without significant improvement in our O-Line.

I think  folks gonna be shocked when DD is the starting QB.. Guy was too good against top level competition in HS to just ride the pine. Similar measurements to Russ Wilson.Maybe Austin Davis is  QB whisperer. Yes, I know it's prolly pie in the sky thinkin 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think  folks gonna be shocked when DD is the starting QB.. Guy was too good against top level competition in HS to just ride the pine. Similar measurements to Russ Wilson.Maybe Austin Davis is  QB whisperer. Yes, I know it's prolly pie in the sky thinkin 

funny. Bc he it will never happen.

HAve you been watching and reading Harsin's decisions with his QBs? 

16 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That would be very shocking if DD got the nod after not getting a single snap his Freshmen season. Even with Bo and TJ hurt for the Bama game DD was not ever really an option. But new OC and QB coach so he gets a new opportunity to try and make an impression. 

31 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That would be very shocking if DD got the nod after not getting a single snap his Freshmen season. Even with Bo and TJ hurt for the Bama game DD was not ever really an option. But new OC and QB coach so he gets a new opportunity to try and make an impression. 

My bet is if Harsin/Davis thinks it will give us the best chance to win he will be out there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not closely. Why don't u enlighten me

You think a guy who Harsin didn't recruit or sign, who spent virtually the entire season behind Grant Loy on the depth chart, and couldn't get even 1 snap even in the Bowl game, is going to start over a hand-picked experienced starter (Calzada) who Harsin specifically targeted and recruited? 

Prepare to be disappointed. Bringing in Ashford is basically recruiting over Davis. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, metafour said:

You think a guy who Harsin didn't recruit or sign, who spent virtually the entire season behind Grant Loy on the depth chart, and couldn't get even 1 snap even in the Bowl game, is going to start over a hand-picked experienced starter (Calzada) who Harsin specifically targeted and recruited? 

Prepare to be disappointed. Bringing in Ashford is basically recruiting over Davis. 

Possibly. But most of the guys on current team weren't hand picked by Harsin either. I'm not gonna be disappointed either way. Best man plays. Plus new off coord could make the light turn on for DD.

39 minutes ago, metafour said:

This. If DD were a factor, we would have been done recruiting QBs after Calzada's commitment, or possibly looked at another HS recruit.

I, like many, was excited about his signing.  Unless something changes and he just blows the competition out of the water, it is unlikely that he is still an Auburn Tiger come this fall.

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

This. If DD were a factor, we would have been done recruiting QBs after Calzada's commitment, or possibly looked at another HS recruit.

I, like many, was excited about his signing.  Unless something changes and he just blows the competition out of the water, it is unlikely that he is still an Auburn Tiger come this fall.

Not sure why he signed Ashford. No college game tape on him either. Guess I'm grabbing at straws for something positive

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not sure why he signed Ashford. No college game tape on him either. Guess I'm grabbing at straws for something positive

Nothing wrong with that approach.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

I have an unexplainable suspicion he might be a gem. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 10:26 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

I hope you are right. I know people doubt DD but I believe he can win the job too. 

Y'all don't underestimate the guy who this thread is about either.... he's definitely not the most exciting option, and I wasn't thrilled either, but that arm and toughness are LEGIT and he can stretch the field, which we have been missing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, au302 said:

Y'all don't underestimate the guy who this thread is about either.... he's definitely not the most exciting option, and I wasn't thrilled either, but that arm and toughness are LEGIT and he can stretch the field, which we have been missing

As long as his strengths are greater than his weaknesses and he can be a smart QB on the field, then I think we can improve at that position.  

• Like 2