New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

15 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I don't care if people share their knee-jerk reactions.  Just come back later and show why you still feel that way or why you've changed your thoughts.  My knee-jerk reaction was "gross", but after watching film and reading scouting reports, I think he could do very well.

Just don't react toxically and disappear or constantly insult others.  We have to constantly work on ourselves...in every outlet where others are involved.  It's the only way we grow and become better humans.

Love this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Haha. Don’t be bringing in actual numbers and statistics, you negative Nancy! Bryan Harsin chose Calzada, so you need just trust the process! 

We've gone really quick into "Trust the coaches" mode after a 6-7 season and believing a guy who has literally never developed a QB is going to work some magic.  I like the Austin Davis hire, but ppl selling him as a QB developer can either see the future or blinded by fandom....def the later at this point.

I'm not sure why ppl get upset or try to chastise others when we got a bottom 3rd QB in the SEC isn't some joyous moment.

Hopefully we aren't done yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

It's amazing how many people think that lying on the internet is better than just taking an L with dignity. 

I've taken many Ls in my life...I just have to choose to learn from each one rather than defending a position I know I've lost out of pride.  Taken me many years to really accept that everything that comes out of my brain isn't always correct.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

All I needed was to see him throw one touchdown and I know he is better than TJ. It is a step toward in the right direction. Auburn would have beaten Buma and Houston had this guy been QBing after Bo. Right now, I'll take anyone besides TJ. He is a carbon copy of Dwayne Haskins, who although was good at OSU, is a bust in the NFL. 

TJ Finley is a carbon copy of Dwayne Haskins????? What? Haskins owned 2018 with 50 TDs and all kinds of gunslinging records at OSU. Finley is exactly 1 backward pass better than Jeremy Johnson. Haskins and Finley are tall black QBs. Comparison kinda stops there for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean you could also say that none of us are as good as Gus Malzahn at evaluating and coaching quarterbacks. But we all know how good he turned out to be. 

Harsin/Davis experience as QBs themselves and developing QBs, blow Gus's perceived developmental prowess out of the water.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Harsin and Davis clearly think they can develop Calzada to be better than those stats or they wouldn't have recruited him.  You are not a better QB evaluator than Harsin or Davis and stats can't show evaluation from a QB coaches.

W.E.D you are one of my favorite posters mostly because you have really reasonable takes usually.  Take a deep breath my man.

Or maybe this is all they could get???  Caleb Williams is an absurd longshot, no matter what anyone says.  I hope we still get him...but maybe we're getting all we can get and praying they can fix him????  We HAD to take a QB b/c Finely needs a lot of development still.  I'm not sold on the fact the coaches 100% know he's the answer.

He has some arm talent, but not much else. I've mentioned maybe they can work some magic.  But he's also coming from a known QB guru.  Jimbo is no slouch developing QBs and he's been there for 3 years.

His future isn't predetermined.  But his QBR ratings and stats aren't much better than TJ's.  He's worse than Bo.  We need to get better at QB and we're going sideways right now.  Both TJ and Calzada will have a chance to improve this spring.  I don't think either are a lock at this point.  We're just adding bodies vs adding a starter.

• Like 3

Harsin/Davis experience as QBs themselves and developing QBs, blow Gus's perceived developmental prowess out of the water.

What QB has Davis developed?

Serious question here.  I really like the Davis hire, but I want to know who he's developed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Let’s try this then. Would you say that Jimbo Fisher is a better evaluator and coach of QB’s than Harsin? If so, Fisher went out and brought in Max Johnsonsuper early into portal season. If he thought Calzada was that guy, he would be slapping the tag on him and Max wouldn’t have gone to A&M.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We've gone really quick into "Trust the coaches" mode after a 6-7 season and believing a guy who has literally never developed a QB is going to work some magic.  I like the Austin Davis hire, but ppl selling him as a QB developer can either see the future or blinded by fandom....def the later at this point.

I'm not sure why ppl get upset or try to chastise others when we got a bottom 3rd QB in the SEC isn't some joyous moment.

Hopefully we aren't done yet.

I don't know what to think of taking Calzada at this point. Way too many variables right now to know what this means. 

But I also dislike the "trust the coaches" argument. Of course SEC coaches know more than most of us. They also fail all the time. Besides, there is no point in having a message board if this is the stance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I don't delete posts just because I learned something or proved myself incorrect.

Only time I delete things is when I have come in too hot and have said something rude, or unnecessary, and realize my error afterwards. I edit out the rudeness but leave the substance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I've taken many Ls in my life...I just have to choose to learn from each one rather than defending a position I know I've lost out of pride.  Taken me many years to really accept that everything that comes out of my brain isn't always correct.

Clicking love mainly because I'm picturing Danny McBride in cornrows saying this. 

Nah man, I'm with you. Like, seriously, wtf do you have to lose by telling a bunch of other football message board dorks that you were incorrect about something?? Are we worried that @69UrMomLoveBoNix420 might have identified our thermal exhaust port because we admitted that Roc Thomas was not in fact the next Barry Sanders?

Or maaaaaybe, as you said, we'll learn something new, learn to think a little more before we say silly things, and also earn a little respect and trust from the community in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

It appears that Casey Thompson has us pretty high as well. We may not land Williams, but if we land Thompson, a battle for QB1 between Thompson, Calzada, TJ and DD is a good thing.

Welcome to the Plains, Zach Calzada!

I like this scenario a lot.  

• Like 1

The question here is simply, can he be better than the QBs currently on our roster? Not a high bar, and I think the answer is clearly yes. Now we just need to put together some pieces on the line and at WR. Doesn't matter all that much who is playing QB without those areas being addressed, IMO. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I don't know what to think of taking Calzada at this point. Way too many variables right now to know what this means. 

But I also dislike the "trust the coaches" argument. Of course SEC coaches know more than most of us. They also fail all the time. Besides, there is no point in having a message board if this is the stance. 

He's a body.  I don't think he's amazing nor will jump up and down for him.  Could he develop?  Maybe.

If he didn't beat Bama, the notion of him coming here would be vastly different 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What QB has Davis developed?

Serious question here.  I really like the Davis hire, but I want to know who he's developed.

Just because someone hasn't had time in their young career to develop a QB doesn't mean they can't do it.  I think that a guy that spent 8 years as a backup and has worked with Russell Wilson as a QB coach probably has a ton of development ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

He's a body.  I don't think he's amazing nor will jump up and down for him.  Could he develop?  Maybe.

If he didn't beat Bama, the notion of him coming here would be vastly different 

I'm sure the "beat Bama" thing will be beat to death and over emphasized. It is something, though. Unlike the Nix win in 2019, Calzada played a helluva game. 

Just because someone hasn't had time in their young career to develop a QB doesn't mean they can't do it. 

Sure, but you can't call them a QB developer or act like they are proven.

I think that a guy that spent 8 years as a backup and has worked with Russell Wilson as a QB coach probably has a ton of development ability.

Agree.  I like the hire.  But labeling him as a "QB Developer" when he came from 3 years under Jimbo who is actually a proven QB developer...really falls flat

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s try this then. Would you say that Jimbo Fisher is a better evaluator and coach of QB’s than Harsin? If so, Fisher went out and brought in Max Johnsonsuper early into portal season. If he thought Calzada was that guy, he would be slapping the tag on him and Max would have gone to A&M.

I personally don't think Jimbo is that great of a QB evaluator or developer. He has had misses and booms.  Is he better than Harsin, I have no idea.  QB evaluation is not my strong suit which is why I defer to experts.

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Only time I delete things is when I have come in too hot and have said something rude, or unnecessary, and realize my error afterwards. I edit out the rudeness but leave the substance.

Yeah, I've definitely given some dickhead replies in the past.  I feel you.  Hard to look into oneself sometimes...often it's too late, but that's part of the growth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

I'm sure the "beat Bama" thing will be beat to death and over emphasized. It is something, though. Unlike the Nix win in 2019, Calzada played a helluva game. 

I don't disagree.  Ppl here got mad when I said the 2019 game wasn't a result of Bo.

• Like 1

Just because someone hasn't had time in their young career to develop a QB doesn't mean they can't do it.  I think that a guy that spent 8 years as a backup and has worked with Russell Wilson as a QB coach probably has a ton of development ability.

I like the Austin Davis hire well enough. There is a lot of potential. I will love it in the off chance we get Caleb. 

But let's be clear. Davis has developed exactly zero QBs. Ever. And plenty of guys have been backup QB's in the NFL. That's great experience, but doesn't prove anything. I've already seen multiple posts assuming he is a QB whisperer. That feels like quite a leap at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Rednilla, this is kind of where I was headed with that stuff we talked about yesterday or the day before or whenever it was. This is the reaction I saw coming. I didn't see it happening so soon, though. 

Our team just got better and folks are jumping out of windows as though we just took out a second mortgage for the kid. We likely just landed our leader in the clubhouse for QB1 and it cost us nothing. I'm not sure we even had to get on a plane to go see him. 

Something else. IIRC, this kid is tough as damned nails. I feel like he kept getting rocked in that bama game and kept fighting and won the damned thing. Funny how that was enough to sustain a statue campaign for the last guy. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

I don't even see it in terms of failure. They have to do what they can with the hand they've been dealt at this point. Our QB room needs help. Is what it is. Not like Harsin is going to get the pick of the litter with our OL and WR rooms. Take the best kid you can get. Doesn't mean you have to love the kid. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

I like the Austin Davis hire well enough. There is a lot of potential. I will love it in the off chance we get Caleb. 

But let's be clear. Davis has developed exactly zero QBs. Ever. And plenty of guys have been backup QB's in the NFL. That's great experience, but doesn't prove anything. I've already seen multiple posts assuming he is a QB whisperer. That feels like quite a leap at this point. 

I'm optimistic, but this is healthy skepticism. 

• Like 2

Just now, Barnacle said:

I don't even see it in terms of failure. That just have to do what they can with the hand they've been dealt at this point. Our QB room needs help. Is what it is. Not like Harsin is going to get the pick of the litter with our OL and WR rooms. Take the best kid you can get. Doesn't mean you have to love the kid. 

Completely agree. I wasn't clear, but the "failure" line was speaking generally about not questioning coaches, when many of them don't work out. Not specifically about Harsin or Calzada.