New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

Oh, someone mentioned how many more positions we need shored up. If I'm not mistaken, we still have 12 open spots after Calzada. We have puh-LENty of room for Calzada and another QB if we can get one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sure, but you can't call them a QB developer or act like they are proven.

Agree.  I like the hire.  But labeling him as a "QB Developer" when he came from 3 years under Jimbo who is actually a proven QB developer...really falls flat

This is a good point, I guess I am making the calculated assumption that he is a good QB developer, which is misplaced due to the fact that it is an assumption.  You are right, it was erroneous of me to label him like he is already proven to be a QB developer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is a good point, I guess I am making the calculated assumption that he is a good QB developer, which is misplaced due to the fact that it is an assumption.  You are right, it was erroneous of me to label him like he is already proven to be a QB developer.

He's definitely a guy to get excited about though given who he worked for and with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Didba said:

I personally don't think Jimbo is that great of a QB evaluator or developer. He has had misses and booms.  Is he better than Harsin, I have no idea.  QB evaluation is not my strong suit which is why I defer to experts.

Jameis Winston, JaMarcus Russell, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel we’re all first rounders who were coached by Jimbo. He turned Kellen Mond into a winner. He coached Dameyune Craig. He was a QB coach under Nick Saban. 

It’s safe to say that Jimbo holds his own as an evaluator and developer of QB’s. And yes, until Harsin proves otherwise, Jimbo is better than him at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

The entire Auburn beat is saying we’re not done but please keep the negativity and pessimism coming. 

Man. I was this close to throwing a hissy fit. Thanks..... :'(

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Clicking love mainly because I'm picturing Danny McBride in cornrows saying this. 

Nah man, I'm with you. Like, seriously, wtf do you have to lose by telling a bunch of other football message board dorks that you were incorrect about something?? Are we worried that @69UrMomLoveBoNix420 might have identified our thermal exhaust port because we admitted that Roc Thomas was not in fact the next Barry Sanders?

Or maaaaaybe, as you said, we'll learn something new, learn to think a little more before we say silly things, and also earn a little respect and trust from the community in the process. 

Please someone create a @69UrMomLoveBoNix420 gimmick account. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@Rednilla, this is kind of where I was headed with that stuff we talked about yesterday or the day before or whenever it was. This is the reaction I saw coming. I didn't see it happening so soon, though. 

Our team just got better and folks are jumping out of windows as though we just took out a second mortgage for the kid. We likely just landed our leader in the clubhouse for QB1 and it cost us nothing. I'm not sure we even had to get on a plane to go see him. 

Something else. IIRC, this kid is tough as damned nails. I feel like he kept getting rocked in that bama game and kept fighting and won the damned thing. Funny how that was enough to sustain a statue campaign for the last guy. 

Oh, I knew full well you were right, which is why I mentioned that I'd not thought about it the way you expressed it in my reply. You had a solid point, it was merely more tangential to the discussion we were having than directly related.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or maaaaaybe, as you said, we'll learn something new, learn to think a little more before we say silly things, and also earn a little respect and trust from the community in the process. 

Nah

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cbo said:

Completely agree. I wasn't clear, but the "failure" line was speaking generally about not questioning coaches, when many of them don't work out. Not specifically about Harsin or Calzada. 

I think I understood what you meant. I'm just saying that if Calzada doesn't work out, I don't necessarily think that should count against Harsin's ability to evaluate quarterbacks. For all we know, Harsin hasn't graded Calzada very highly. It may just be that he's graded him above Finley and DD, and he was the highest graded QB in the portal who had reciprocal interest in Auburn. 

Seems like people have an assumption that Calzada is exactly who Harsin wanted, so we should feel good about that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

This is a replacement but not for Bo. CW visiting next week per reports. People need to calm down and relax. Patience.

Thanks for this post. I think Calzada is a serviceable QB and better than our current starter (TJ), but I just think CW would be a huge upgrade over him or anybody we’ve had the last few years. Then again playing in the Tiny 12 is not like the SEC, so who knows. In my opinion, I don’t think DD is what Harsin wants in his QB and that’s not a knock against his potential or anything. At this point, all we can do as fans is trust the vision of our HC. 

It wasn't long ago that we were playing a quarterback with a broken ankle and then another with a sprained ankle with no relief or back-up in sight. This is a win/win, if he develops into a great quarterback for us, yeah! , or if he comes in as an experienced back-up yeah again!  Welcome !!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@Rednilla, this is kind of where I was headed with that stuff we talked about yesterday or the day before or whenever it was. This is the reaction I saw coming. I didn't see it happening so soon, though. 

Our team just got better and folks are jumping out of windows as though we just took out a second mortgage for the kid. We likely just landed our leader in the clubhouse for QB1 and it cost us nothing. I'm not sure we even had to get on a plane to go see him. 

Something else. IIRC, this kid is tough as damned nails. I feel like he kept getting rocked in that bama game and kept fighting and won the damned thing. Funny how that was enough to sustain a statue campaign for the last guy. 

I'm guessing the timing didn't help here. Landing Calzada with Caleb rumors floating in the air. 

I agree the reaction is unwarranted and not a good look. 

• Like 1

I've not read through much of this thread, but I will add that my contact indicated we might well take 2 transfer QBs in this cycle. I don't know if that is still true, but there IS more going on here than meets the eye.

• Like 8

Also, I am not saying just trust the coaches on everything.  I just have such little experience with QBs mechanics, development, etc. that I defer to the coaches and/or any of you that have such experience. 

Need me to break down defensive scheme, linebacker/dline play, oline play or play-calling vs different defensive fronts? I got you all day bb, but when it comes to QB mechanics/play, WR/DB play, and RB mechanics I am pretty lost.

And the reason for that?  I am a big ole boy that spent my time as a linebacker and then most of playing time in the trenches on one side or the other.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Clicking love mainly because I'm picturing Danny McBride in cornrows saying this. 

Nah man, I'm with you. Like, seriously, wtf do you have to lose by telling a bunch of other football message board dorks that you were incorrect about something?? Are we worried that @69UrMomLoveBoNix420 might have identified our thermal exhaust port because we admitted that Roc Thomas was not in fact the next Barry Sanders?

You might have to change your handle for the memes bro 😆

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jameis Winston, JaMarcus Russell, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel we’re all first rounders who were coached by Jimbo. He turned Kellen Mond into a winner. He coached Dameyune Craig. He was a QB coach under Nick Saban. 

It’s safe to say that Jimbo holds his own as an evaluator and developer of QB’s. And yes, until Harsin proves otherwise, Jimbo is better than him at that.

Only knew of Winston and Mond so I stand corrected.

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The question here is simply, can he be better than the QBs currently on our roster? Not a high bar, and I think the answer is clearly yes. Now we just need to put together some pieces on the line and at WR. Doesn't matter all that much who is playing QB without those areas being addressed, IMO. 

Our O line development is what really matters. Without nasties in the trench, no QB will have great success. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

And yes, until Harsin proves otherwise, Jimbo is better than him at that.

Nope. Until Harsin proves otherwise, Jimbo has more reputation, but it's not impossible that Harsin is already better at it and just doesn't yet have the resume to back it up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

It appears that Casey Thompson has us pretty high as well. We may not land Williams, but if we land Thompson, a battle for QB1 between Thompson, Calzada, TJ and DD is a good thing.

Welcome to the Plains, Zach Calzada!

Throw in Ashford potentially too

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm guessing the timing didn't help here. Landing Calzada with Caleb rumors floating in the air. 

I agree the reaction is unwarranted and not a good look. 

Very true. I need to remember that emotion is overriding intellect. I'm certainly no better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Nope. Until Harsin proves otherwise, Jimbo has more reputation, but it's not impossible that Harsin is already better at it and just doesn't yet have the resume to back it up.

Can I love this 15 times pls.

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think I understood what you meant. I'm just saying that if Calzada doesn't work out, I don't necessarily think that should count against Harsin's ability to evaluate quarterbacks. For all we know, Harsin hasn't graded Calzada very highly. It may just be that he's graded him above Finley and DD, and he was the highest graded QB in the portal who had reciprocal interest in Auburn. 

Seems like people have an assumption that Calzada is exactly who Harsin wanted, so we should feel good about that. 

I'm with you now and you make a great point. I don't disagree, but the counterpoint would be that recruiting is at least half the job. Let's imagine we only take Calzada and he doesn't work out. We may never know if it was a "failure" in evaluation or recruiting. But ultimately the job didn't get done. 

I don't know why it sounds like I am arguing or calling this a failure. Just an interesting discussion, to me. 

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pssst...we have depth!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

There aren’t many people in the history of modern football who can say they are a better QB developer than Jimbo, so although Harsin could be, it’s safe to assume he isn’t at this point.