New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@Rednilla, this is kind of where I was headed with that stuff we talked about yesterday or the day before or whenever it was. This is the reaction I saw coming. I didn't see it happening so soon, though. 

Our team just got better and folks are jumping out of windows as though we just took out a second mortgage for the kid. We likely just landed our leader in the clubhouse for QB1 and it cost us nothing. I'm not sure we even had to get on a plane to go see him. 

Something else. IIRC, this kid is tough as damned nails. I feel like he kept getting rocked in that bama game and kept fighting and won the damned thing. Funny how that was enough to sustain a statue campaign for the last guy. 

Serious question. Did we get better? Compared to Nix? I am not wanting Nix back, but this guy ranked behind Nix in almost every category; pct completion, ypa, QBR, and yardage. Now he comes in and has to learn the system, receivers, etc. So are we better? I am not saying we aren't but I don't see the past performance to say we are. Feels break even at best.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Didba said:

Harsin/Davis experience as QBs themselves and developing QBs, blow Gus's perceived developmental prowess out of the water.

So there you go judging someone that clearly has had much more success in the sport than yourself but others can’t judge the current coach? That’s convenient. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

There aren’t many people in the history of modern football who can say they are a better QB developer than Jimbo, so although Harsin could be, it’s safe to assume he isn’t at this point. 

It's really not safe to make any assumptions about something so unknown, I just had to admit I was wrong about something due to an assumption I made about a future unknown.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I've taken many Ls in my life...I just have to choose to learn from each one rather than defending a position I know I've lost out of pride. 

Dude...absolute truth bomb there that goes WELL beyond most things discussed here. It's something I work on every day as well. My personal take is that every day you learn something new is a successful day, I've had many successful days learning I was wrong on something ;)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Serious question. Did we get better? Compared to Nix? 

Yes to the first question. Maybe to the second question. I was only comparing us now to the minute before we landed Calzada.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

You really think Caleb Williams cares about what our QB room looks like? Dudes like him are confident in any room. Doesn’t matter what the depth chart looks like. 

Probably not. But Calzada was not recruited away from being a starter for a division rival to be a backup for us. Maybe he can transfer again if we get CW, much like Gabriel.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

There aren’t many people in the history of modern football who can say they are a better QB developer than Jimbo, so although Harsin could be, it’s safe to assume he isn’t at this point. 

Again, he has the reputation, and it is earned, but Harsin put Brett Rypien in the NFL from Boise, so it's not like Hars doesn't have something going for him, too. 

And Davis has experience that Jimbo doesn't, having both played and coached in the NFL. So there is that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

The entire Auburn beat is saying we’re not done but please keep the negativity and pessimism coming. 

The AU beat has not done very well at all in recent memory. Remember, a total outsider broke the Harsin news without even a mention from any of the beat guys.

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Probably not. But Calzada was not recruited away from being a starter for a division rival to be a backup for us. Maybe he can transfer again if we get CW, much like Gabriel.

Gabriel didn't transfer twice, he merely backed out of transferring to UCLA before doing so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well he's committed not signed. Much like high school kids he can still sign somewhere else.

• Like 2

The AU beat has not done very well at all in recent memory. Remember, a total outsider broke the Harsin news without even a mention from any of the beat guys.

I got the same information, and my contact wasn't connected to Auburn until Harsin was hired.

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sure, but you can't call them a QB developer or act like they are proven.

Agree.  I like the hire.  But labeling him as a "QB Developer" when he came from 3 years under Jimbo who is actually a proven QB developer...really falls flat

if you want to look for something negative you ca always find it in this world.

Sometimes a QB that has a different 'teacher' such as Davis can bring a different perspective to a young QB, and find things even Jimbo might not see. And remember Jimbo was a HC. He may have been a great developer of QBs, but when he first got to TaM, and he had a 5* QB in Mond, it took 3 years for Mond to finally develop into a much better QB. Some were wondering if Fisher had lost his touch. 

Also, as HC Fisher doesn't have the time to just coach a QB on their skills, he has so many other duties. Let's see how Davis does with our young QBs.

Nix under 3 different QB coaches didn't improve until this year with Harsin and Bobo. 

So maybe its a combo of Harsin and Davis that can help Calzada.

I think the main problem Calzada has that needs to be fixed is he does tend to throw off his back foot(like Bo), but without all the athletic ability.

I always felt with our weankesses at OL at WR, that it was going to be hard to get the cream of the crop QBs to come. THey're not stupid. They want to be surrounded by quality players to help them excel to get to the NFL.

If we are having to drop down a little to get more competition in the QB room, we all know it is to transition to Geriner as right now he is the future of us having a cream of the crop QB.

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So there you go judging someone that clearly has had much more success in the sport than yourself but others can’t judge the current coach? That’s convenient. 

I was actually repeating the opinion of the poster I was replying to regarding Gus so I wasn't passing judgement there and comparing coaching experience between coaches isn't necessarily passing judgement either.  No need to come in so hot as well.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Goodness...we just had a player CHOOSE to come and be one of us.  That should be celebrated and he certainly shouldn't be booed before he even gets a chance.  Some of you need to take a step back and be more supportive or take a step forward and go ahead and jump, your behavior is embarrassing.

Welcome home ZC, good luck and War Eagle!

Nobody is rooting against ZC and nobody has alluded to booing. Good grief. Happy he's here but hope we can still find a guy equal or better to Bo or it's a net loss at the position. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Thank you. I didn't see TAMU much this season. 

Anyone else have an analysis of Calzada other than "he sucks, we suck" or "he beat Bama"? Strengths and weaknesses? Did he progress over the season?

He led an offense that didn't score a TD against us. Maybe it was an off day but he wasn't very good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody is rooting against ZC and nobody has alluded to booing. Good grief. Happy he's here but hope we can still find a guy equal or better to Bo or it's a net loss at the position. 

Interesting...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Well he's committed not signed. Much like high school kids he can still sign somewhere else.

When do the transfers sign on officially? Is it whenever they choose? 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Sure seems like quite a few people in the AU fanbase are rooting against ZC

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

This is a great question.

Pretty sure it's when they sign their scholarship and enroll.

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm with you now and you make a great point. I don't disagree, but the counterpoint would be that recruiting is at least half the job. Let's imagine we only take Calzada and he doesn't work out. We may never know if it was a "failure" in evaluation or recruiting. But ultimately the job didn't get done. 

I don't know why it sounds like I am arguing or calling this a failure. Just an interesting discussion, to me. 

No doubt. More interesting because of the situation we are in, and how novel the portal is to college football. It really has changed everything. 

• Like 1

Looks like the NIL Calzada got is not bad:  Venditori's Italian Restaurant is paying big bucks per month for a life-size cardboard cutout & signed pictures  and more money per win and 2 calzones via Uber Eats on Sundays, with bread sticks.    

That is just the first one I can find....Dominos may be jumping on board also.  

YES, THIS IS A JOKE, just kidding.

Welcome to the family!

Edited by Beaker

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Come on now, be fair. It's not that they're rooting against him. It's that they aren't giving him a chance.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Didba said:

No, you just can't stand anything other than sycophantic, unconditional praise for every move made by our football team. 

Adding a player is NEVER a bad thing unless he's a cancer to the team. No indication ZC is that at all. Glad he is here. Don't automatically think he is the answer or the best QB we could get from the portal, though.

You're very indicative of American discourse. Very black and white. "You don't think ZC is a great QB?! So that means you hate him!". Just calm down.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He had 1 good game vs Alabama.  1 OK game.  Every other game was sub 60% comp%.  He is really really inaccurate to most parts of the field.

IDK, maybe Harsin can make him better....but if you just look at stats, look at his performance, look at his rankings. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be super supportive and happy about

This doesn't lead to good offense...

Maybe a different offense will help him????

He struggles with accuracy, especially behind the LOS and close. These are all really really bad rankings in the SEC.

Not good.

Can't even blame it on drops....

Don't post anything but outright endorsements, please. Those are the rules now, apparently. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2