Negative Fans costing us in recruiting

WFE12

52 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

This is pure 100% BS, and put out by Phillip Marshall no less.

It reeks of Gus Malzahn, or something the Nix family has floated out there.  

Auburn fans are no better nor worse than any other fans in CFB.  Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.  Pretty sure they were sending that kicker death threats when he lost the IB.  

Exactly!  Anyone take a gander at the uga boards when their undefeated season when to hell in a handbasket in the SECG!!??

How 'bout LSU's fans getting their HC fired 2 yrs after a NC?  UF fans had daggers for Dan Mullen for the last 2 yrs and hated his piss poor recruiting resulting in him basically giving up & begging to be fired.

This is nothing more than another P. Marshall piece lamenting and trying to chastise the fanbase and it's laughable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

100% agree.  Everyone on twitter, especially after a bad game, are complete morons.

I could find hundreds of UGA fans bashing various aspects of their team after UGA's lone loss.  It's a terrible article by PM.  Feel like this is 100% cover for the Nix family

OFC its's a PM article. We as Auburn fans should be used to it by now. You know he hates recruiting, coaches being fired he has a good connect with...etc.

He tries to be that 'philosophical'  writer that puts out the voice of reason columns like this. It's not the firs time he writes to chastise the Auburn fans for how they act.

He doesn't understand or maybe he doesnt care since it doesn't fit his messaging, when we all know that every school that has a fanbase goes overboard to use social media to spout their negative thoughts as quick as possible.

If GA loses to Bama again, just get ready to see the social media heat on Smart, bc he can't beat Saban( even though he's put together the 2nd best winning program in the country other than Ohio State). 

PM needs a BM... :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

After Gus was fired and still to this day, there’s a lot of pure hatred for Gus even though he never had a losing season.

I'd love to see examples of actual hatred, as opposed to criticism that was either earned or merely somewhat exaggerated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My concern is why do people take what other folks say on social media so seriously ? No lie, if you can’t handle that you are going to have a hard enough time at the next level. LBJ told bronny this early on if I am correct. Something to the extent of delete your social media or learn to adapt with tough skin. If you can’t handle what a bunch of nobodies are saying about you , you aren’t going to be able to handle what people with actual following says about you .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Hard disagree. Seeing Saban rise at Bama and now Kirby rise at UGA has turned this fan base increasingly toxic. Nobody will admit it, but a good percentage of the fan base is jealous of our rivals. That jealousy has brought out some gross behaviors and words. For example, there used to be a hard rule on here about going after players. Now you can’t read a thread without seeing multiple posts tearing down players. Gene Chizik got fired after the worst season in modern Auburn history, and afterwards people were saying how much of an Auburn man he was but that it was time to move on. After Gus was fired and still to this day, there’s a lot of pure hatred for Gus even though he never had a losing season. No idea if it is legitimately hurting recruiting or not. But, even as an Auburn grad, I’ve thought more than once about waking away because of how nasty our fan base has gotten. 

Pure hatred of the Man Gus Malzhan?  No

Pure hatred of the AU Administration for handcuffing this program with a one-sided contract extension for a very mediocre HC only to have to pay a king's ransom to get rid of him & his staff?  Yes

Pure hatred for the years of ignoring the offensive line recruiting? Yes  

Pure hatred of poor roster management, and inability to evolve and innovate on offense?  Yes

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd love to see examples of actual hatred, as opposed to criticism that was either earned or merely somewhat exaggerated. 

You won't see it. It's an overused word because hating the behavior is far different than hating the individual but some folks can't separate the two. The closest I've come to hating a player was Eric Ramsey for what he did, and I still didn't hate him, just his victim act. Not too fond of Chuck Person either but no hate. 

• Thanks 1

This is silly. Alabama and Georgia do the same thing and really don’t have sh*t to complain about. Auburn’s fans have been dealing with bullsh*t from our coaches for years. We already have the toughest schedule of anyone else in the country, for the most part. We are collectively tired of our coaching staff making stupid decisions and wasting talented players/ missing out on players that can make a difference. One of the reasons Zach Calzada came to Auburn is because Auburn cares about football. That includes us fans. But you have to take the bad with the good. Auburn fans can be the loudest, proudest most supportive fans in the country (see iron bowl 2021 or LSU basketball game 2021). But we can also get rowdy and critical when things aren’t going well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is part of one of Philip Marshall’s article. 

Here’s my take on this level of ‘journalism’:

All of us have friends and family who are fans and alumni of other schools, especially SEC schools. Know any of them who are joyful, optimistic, and happy most of the time? I have direct access to TexAgs and it is a mirror of our boards. My best friend is an LSU grad and former player and he says the same thing about their boards and fans. Ditto for my friends and family who are UGA, Ole Miss, and Arky fans. As for the anonymous coach, coach better, win more games, and send more guys to the league.That will do more to win over recruits than happy fans. 

I do wish all of us, myself included were more civil towards each other and our players. But to say that AU fan negativity is more or less than any other fanbase is shallow in my opinion. 

Addendum: If any parent or recruit does have concerns about our fans, I suggest they come to some SEC home games and sit in the student section at Jordan-Hare. WDE 🦅 

OR come visit when Bruce & his crew are killing it on the court and making us ALL proud Auburn Fans!

Look no further than AU Basketball for proof of how passionate and supportive our fans can be!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m not so much jealous as I am frustrated with our former HC, administration, and PTB. I try to live in reality, we could never win multiple titles with Saban here but Auburn has underachieved so much since 2013 it’s honestly pathetic. 

Maybe he is low on content and needs to stir the pot 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Down vote me all anybody wants but I will say people like Phillip Marshall are more of the problem , stirring the pot per usual.

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Maybe he is low on content and needs to stir the pot 

Yup. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Down vote me all anybody wants but I will say people like Phillip Marshall are more of the problem , stirring the pot per usual.

You know what they say about "Truer words..."

That poor man should be put out to pasture as he is a poor writer and knows less about the goings on in and aroun that Program than any beat writer I have seen.

But mission accomplished, he would say.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And it's working. Barn twitter is all over it already. 

As for other fans, a timely tweet from a bama beat guy:

There actually was a TAMU fan that was doing this, creating fake Texas fan twitter profiles and tweeting really racist comments at Texas recruits 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AEAugirl said:

There actually was a TAMU fan that was doing this, creating fake Texas fan twitter profiles and tweeting really racist comments at Texas recruits 

Humans make me sad. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agreed. He is the voice for certain people at certain times. He almost always has an agenda and it never seems to be to elevate us. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

On this very thread, someone accused Gus of being the alleged source coach from the OP with no basis for that claim.  A lot of it is not outwardly stated hatred, but people lashing out and getting angry and/or blaming him for stuff that clearly wasn’t on him. If you haven’t noticed it, you have selective attention.

Edited by ScotsAU

Just now, McLoofus said:

Nah. It wouldn't go anywhere useful. 

Sounds like you have no legitimate critique then. Don’t bring out the passive aggressive insulting statements if you can’t back them up.

Edited by ScotsAU