Negative Fans costing us in recruiting

WFE12

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Sounds like you have no legitimate critique then. Don’t bring out the passive aggressive insulting statements if you can’t back them up.

I can back up things that I say. What I attempted to get across to you politely, you oversensitive bagpipe, is that there's no use in it. 

My previous comments weren't insulting, passive aggressively or otherwise. But I did insult you just now, and I'm happy to do it again if you insist. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

This is pure 100% BS, and put out by Phillip Marshall no less.

It reeks of Gus Malzahn, or something the Nix family has floated out there.  

Auburn fans are no better nor worse than any other fans in CFB.  Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.  Pretty sure they were sending that kicker death threats when he lost the IB.  

Exactly. People forget that fan is short for fanatic. Go to any other site and read their boards. Is a common experience

Phillip Marshall comes from a kinder, gentler time at Auburn. I’m close to his era, as are a few posters on here. He’s not trying to stir things up, he just sees things from a different lens than you younger folk do.  There is a lot of name calling and trash talking about our players. He’s “terrible”, he’s “trash” rather than “He may not be our best option” or “He needs more development”. There are ways to word things without being personal. I’m afraid this is a societal thing and not just an Auburn thing. But I wish people would choose their words more wisely when it comes to the young men that wear the orange and blue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think all our fans and alum should read the AU Creed every day before they post anything!  I think AU should be the best school in this regard, but I think we've stooped to the same level as other schools. 

For a while I also thought we had gotten even worse than other schools, but when Drew Bobo left AU and went to GA. I decided, for the first time ever, to go over to the GA boards and read what they had to say. 

To my amazement, I think I read through 3 or 4 pages without seeing one positive comment. They ripped him to shreds. It was worse than anything I've seen from this board. 

That still doesn't justify anything really. We should live by the creed and be better. But I also think our beat writers should do a better job of putting AU in  a positive light too. How many recruits have we lost due to negativity by our beat writers? Looking at you Mr. Marshall. Shame on you, how many opposing coaches are going to hand that article to recruits?

I was always a Gus supporter and am grateful for what he did for AU. He ran a clean program and put a competitive product on the field. 

I also am a big supporter of Harsin and think he has the ability to takes us up a notch. Keep up the good work and keep building a program we can all be proud of. 

Edited by gabo4au
  • Like 3

Just a typical PM piece. A shame but not surprising, as he loves to stir the pot and is the mouthpiece for certain folks. In reality, we are no better or worse than any fanbase. Have any of y'all ever read the tiger rant (LSU) on tiger droppings after an LSU loss? How about Bama or UGA? 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

On this very thread, someone accused Gus of being the alleged source coach from the OP with no basis for that claim.  A lot of it is not outwardly stated hatred, but people lashing out and getting angry and/or blaming him for stuff that clearly wasn’t on him. If you haven’t noticed it, you have selective attention.

Agree no one should accuse someone without supporting data.

I thought there was a rule at one time against negative comments about a recruit. Gus, administration,and even other coaches are fair game making big bucks and probably expect some of that as part of the job. But these 19 year old kids don't deserve this. This is a free site, so yes many of them probably read this.  If this negativism typical of our fan base so yes I think it might affect their opinions of Auburn.  We should assume anyone can be reading this before writing it.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Totally agree Auburn fans are no worst than any other fan base. Stupid article from a doofus 

I have to disagree. 

Auburn fans are no worst than any other fan base,   BUT NO OTHER SCHOOL has the plethora  of bama posters also thrashing Auburn  posing  as Auburn fans... and a lot  not posing but post as plain bama fans.    NO THER SCHOOL has as much negative coverage in the state and national media media which is dominated by their big rival.   Add to that the naïve posters and fans that take this  negative media and run with it trying to pass it off as football knowledge.

We have to put up with more negativity than any other school BY FAR!   specific fan  comments may not  make it to the recruit,  but the atmosphere created by the negative comments by fans/press /posers eventually does.  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Phillip Marshall comes from a kinder, gentler time at Auburn. I’m close to his era, as are a few posters on here. He’s not trying to stir things up, he just sees things from a different lens than you younger folk do.  There is a lot of name calling and trash talking about our players. He’s “terrible”, he’s “trash” rather than “He may not be our best option” or “He needs more development”. There are ways to word things without being personal. I’m afraid this is a societal thing and not just an Auburn thing. But I wish people would choose their words more wisely when it comes to the young men that wear the orange and blue. 

Excellent post. I forget who said it, but “Just because you have a right to say something, doesn’t mean it is the right thing to say.” And, “There is always a better way to say something.” Critiquing someone’s performance is very different that calling them names or denigrating their character over football. 

56 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

A lot of it is not outwardly stated hatred, but people lashing out and getting angry and/or blaming him for stuff that clearly wasn’t on him

So you have no examples of hatred? That sounds like frustration albeit If it is directed at the wrong person. You just like to type whatever to get a reaction, huh?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always enjoyed browsing fan forums for other teams over the past 10+ years, and I can tell you from first hand experience that NOTHING you find on AUFamily can come close to the toxicity and player/recruit bashing that happens in some other major fanbases. 

I've never seen any evidence that AU fans are worse than other teams fans, Granted I don't have a twitter account and i don't follow the AU twitterverse, I can just go off of what i've seen in fan forums. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Phillip Marshall comes from a kinder, gentler time at Auburn.

What era was this? I am intrigued. 

2 hours ago, fredst said:

CD8052DC-52C3-4791-9DF4-5190B6E9E76E.gif

top 10 moments in my life ever

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Down vote me all anybody wants but I will say people like Phillip Marshall are more of the problem , stirring the pot per usual.

PM is just trying to stay employed.  He lost his inside info in 2008.

• Like 2

Yeah, AU fans can be negative, but no more than anyone else. I swear people just run with anything they read. I'm sure the coach that supposedly said this had no ulterior motive at all. There's no reason at all to even say this other than to negatively affect recruiting. Use your brains people.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

What era was this? I am intrigued. 

Pre-internet and social media. Not sure it was really kinder and gentler but not every yo-yo had a public forum to make their opinion available to the world

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yeah, AU fans can be negative, but no more than anyone else. I swear people just run with anything they read. I'm sure the coach that supposedly said this had no ulterior motive at all. There's no reason at all to even say this other than to negatively affect recruiting. Use your brains people.

This is exactly why I called this guy a pot stirrer. We are in the fight of our football lives for recruits and he decides “yep this is a great time to post my thoughts about Auburn fans being their own worst enemy.” Yeah to me he is a scumbag. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I can back up things that I say. What I attempted to get across to you politely, you oversensitive bagpipe, is that there's no use in it. 

My previous comments weren't insulting, passive aggressively or otherwise. But I did insult you just now, and I'm happy to do it again if you insist. 

Lol you did what a b.s. Poster hates the most.....you asked for an example

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he said our fan base is the worst at actually verifying information on Twitter or even just bad with social media in general, I might have agreed with him

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Pre-internet and social media. Not sure it was really kinder and gentler but not every yo-yo had a public forum to make their opinion available to the world

Exactly that’s my point. It wasn’t kinder and gentler. It just now we have more have an open platform . It’s like when people try to say “back in the day things weren’t as divisive and conflicting as it is now.” Huh yeah it was. It is just now we have the technology to document injustice any and every where. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'd love to see examples of actual hatred, as opposed to criticism that was either earned or merely somewhat exaggerated. 

Or a story with the name of a recruit who turned away for this reason. We're the classiest fans, d-bag Phillip Marshal knows it too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is exactly why I called this guy a pot stirrer. We are in the fight of our football lives for recruits and he decides “yep this is a great time to post my thoughts about Auburn fans being their own worst enemy.” Yeah to me he is a scumbag. 

This.

Spot on thread title. Media wonks report and even quote what's posted on mamy major fan base forums including this one (see e.g. 2018 LSU post game exploding heads here, reported and QUOTED by a variety of media outlets nationally). 18 year olds and their parents aint hardened millionaire athletes and their agents.

• Like 1