Negative Fans costing us in recruiting

WFE12

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I live in LSU country. We got nothing on the negativity I’ve heard on local sports radio. I mean not even close.

Thank you and being just minutes from the LA state and several LSU Alum that are family and neighbors I agree 100%..............I swear if I walk outside in am and listen to my neighbors having coffee on the deck...........you would swear Ed Orgeron was selling Mason shoes door to door😂🤣

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

And now he's saying Harsin got rid of Kobe for no reason. Check the Kobe Gone thread. PM needs to pack it up. 

He, meaning PM, seems to be a supposed journalist, that does very little actual journalistic activity, like researching actual stories or leads. He is basically a small town reporter that is less informed than many of us that actually live out of the state of AL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Phillip Marshall comes from a kinder, gentler time at Auburn. I’m close to his era, as are a few posters on here. He’s not trying to stir things up, he just sees things from a different lens than you younger folk do.  There is a lot of name calling and trash talking about our players. He’s “terrible”, he’s “trash” rather than “He may not be our best option” or “He needs more development”. There are ways to word things without being personal. I’m afraid this is a societal thing and not just an Auburn thing. But I wish people would choose their words more wisely when it comes to the young men that wear the orange and blue. 

Exactly, just as anybody else, he needs to learn to evolve as a writer or journalist, which requires research over opinion sometimes. He’s just looking for a big story to break. Reminds me of Mark Schlabah, whom I met about 15 years ago. He was obviously a UGA homer, but he knew in order to branch out, he needed to be more objective and actually break news stories. PM is yet to understand that and that is why he is not respected. It’s one thing to be respected, but a whole another issue to be heard but just dismissed as a non-factor. 

Here's my take on PM.

He apparently has no inside info. So the only thing he can contribute anymore are grumpy opinion pieces about everything wrong with the world of Auburn and college athletics. There's nothing particularly insightful or thought provoking in any of it. It's very obvious takes like "wouldn't it be good if fans didn't tweet bad stuff". 

I mean, literally any of us can do what he does, but with a more in-touch perspective. I don't know who is actually reading his stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I mean, literally any of us can do what he does, but with a more in-touch perspective. I don't know who is actually reading his stuff.

One of the 10-20 people that are occasionally post it on here

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

This is pure 100% BS, and put out by Phillip Marshall no less.

It reeks of Gus Malzahn, or something the Nix family has floated out there.  

Auburn fans are no better nor worse than any other fans in CFB.  Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.  Pretty sure they were sending that kicker death threats when he lost the IB.  

I agree 💯. Complete bs. Not a story. It’s way beyond stupid at this point. Let all pretend we’re all 14 years old. Give me a break. Also Philip Marshall. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Here's my take on PM.

He apparently has no inside info. So the only thing he can contribute anymore are grumpy opinion pieces about everything wrong with the world of Auburn and college athletics. There's nothing particularly insightful or thought provoking in any of it. It's very obvious takes like "wouldn't it be good if fans didn't tweet bad stuff". 

He has more connections inside the athletic department than everyone on this board combined.  It sounds like what people want is reporting that tells them what they want to hear, instead of actually reporting what they have learned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Bro your pic what the heck lol. I can’t

It's Wendell Green Jr. Said "Welcome to Wendell's" before I cropped it. Someone twitter-blasted it when we smoked LSU last week. Wish I could take credit. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He has more connections inside the athletic department than everyone on this board combined.  It sounds like what people want is reporting that tells them what they want to hear, instead of actually reporting what they have learned.

I actually think PM genuinely likes and has a special appreciation for Auburn that results in him putting out stuff that comes almost from a nostalgic fan POV instead of the objective reporter POV that he needs to be effective in his job

The thing is, most of you can be right about this, including the original article. 

Other fan bases ARE just as bad. Some proactively suppress it - bama is by far the best - on their boards. NO Auburn boards EVER have to nearly that extent. Had a decent exchange with Mark Murphy about it over a decade ago. When bama loses, their boards go nuts for a little while, then all those threads go away, posters are talked to or banned, and the koolaid just keeps right on flowing. It's good marketing. Auburn doesn't get that. 

We DID NOT use to be this bad. I was on about the only AU message board in existence for the Bowden debacle. It wasn't as bad as Gus's departure. 

Auburn people are lightning fast to throw out "JABA". "good ole boys", and several other terms of endearment. This board, and AU for that matter, would be a better place if you all banned those terms from your vocabulary. But you won't, because you know in your heart that you're the only "realist" who sees things for what they are. Yeah, Tim Jackson needs to go, and Leath did too, but dwelling on it and posting it once a month x 100 odd posters makes it into a storm of negativity. Just drop it. 

Auburn people need to understand marketing, and the concept of trending on social media. And for those of you clowns who want to throw "boomer" at anyone who doesn't, you should take a look in the mirror. The younger fans and alums are often the most negative, which shows the least understanding of the concept. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I would not use that word when it comes to PM.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

There actually was a TAMU fan that was doing this, creating fake Texas fan twitter profiles and tweeting really racist comments at Texas recruits 

Per Orangebloods.com. Lol

UT does control the narrative in this state. Similar to bama in Alabama. Not as bad lately. Cuz UT is irrelevant, but it is still there. Not denying the validity of you post AUgirl. Just reinforcing your point. IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. 

Auburn is no worse than any other fan base. Yes, UGA and Bama fans melt down after losses too, but we lose more than they do now (so more meltdowns).

Obviously, all fans are not negative and recruits and their parents should be able to separate social media and the real world, but that can be a difficult thing to do when you're 17-18 years old. A lot of these kids' social engagement is on social media and it's all negative. 

You can go to anything Auburn on FB, Twitter, etc. and don't have to look hard to find a bunch of negativity. It's easy for us to just say they should ignore it, but how can you completely ignore something that is everywhere on platforms that are probably more utilized by the age group of recruits?

We don't have to like it, but we should at least try to be mindful.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

This settles it. This guy is actually Phillip Marshall’s alter I can’t believe it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Maybe in the Tuberville days. It seems like he's been cut off for years, more so than ever under the potato gang. Hence the content he puts out. All opinion pieces, that while at times nice, really offer no insight compared to Keith, Caldwell, and other guys. 

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Ok you explain the timing of this

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I don't doubt he knows more people. He should as long as he's been there.  Not sure it’s  true for him or any other ‘reporter’ that his connections lead to more meaningful and relevant content. Football coaches all over the country have significantly clamped down on meaningful access to their programs. I often learn of major happenings on this board from some anonymous poster prior to the pay site reporters announcing it. 

Edited by Gowebb11

I have been on this board and various other boards I don't think we are worse then other boards but we are worse then we used to be. In the past most of the people on the board did not go directly at players.  I have to admit I was surprised at the negativity I saw we when Calzada committed to Auburn.  One fan calling him Calzone like that was funny others talking about how bad he is despite the fact that he wasn't that bad statistically and had some really good games.  

This year the Heisman winner from bama Young had some great games but also a couple of games where he looked Human. He actually looked flustered in the Auburn game and if the Ref's had been willing to call intentional grounding he would have lost that game. He also didn't look great against Cinci. Does that mean he is a bad QB heck no. It means Defense played great and had done a great job of scouting him.  Why did he look less then stellar in both those game defensive pressure in his face most of the time.

Sometimes when a QB doesn't look good it is not the QB.

8 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Per Orangebloods.com. Lol

UT does control the narrative in this state. Similar to bama in Alabama. Not as bad lately. Cuz UT is irrelevant, but it is still there. Not denying the validity of you post AUgirl. Just reinforcing your point. IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. 

Yeah, but there was a little bit more to it than just some poster saying it was him.  He admitted the accounts were his and he “sold” them then those people started tweeting racist stuff which he retweeted and liked….and pretty much only him 😂.  

They caught him red handed and he made up a pretty elaborate but really stupid story to explain then started threatening them with legal action and poof the accounts were deleted  😂

One thing I do know is there are some people on these forums should work for the FBI, they can dig and find out so much stuff 😂

https://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/12108-the-daniel-figurelli-interview-warning-nsfw-language/

But yes the point is PM is absolutely FOS to write an article about how absolutely terrible Auburn fans are, because honestly I have seen much, much worse from other fan bases.  I would not doubt there are not a lot of these spoof Twitter accounts created to do just that…tweet nasty things to these recruits in an effort to drive them away from a particular program.  Its the dumbest thing I have ever heard of because no one REALLY knows who is behind a profile on social media.

• Like 1