Negative Fans costing us in recruiting

WFE12

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He has more connections inside the athletic department than everyone on this board combined.  It sounds like what people want is reporting that tells them what they want to hear, instead of actually reporting what they have learned.

No he doesn’t…..but he’s done more damage with this stupid article than any Auburn fan has probably ever done because now this garbage is trending on social media and everyone is talking about it, including us.  So thank PM for putting it on the radar. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 7

My guess is this coaching staff doesn’t talk to him at all and his clicks from AU fans is waning so he put out a stinkgram to cultivate new followers from our rivals.   So PLEASE AU fans, never click on this fool’s fake news drivel again.    PM is fortunate to not to have been a writer for Bama.  They would have run him out of state like they did to Neal McCready years ago for writing negative, aka truthful, stories about Bama.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

This is pure 100% BS, and put out by Phillip Marshall no less.

It reeks of Gus Malzahn, or something the Nix family has floated out there.  

Auburn fans are no better nor worse than any other fans in CFB.  Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.  Pretty sure they were sending that kicker death threats when he lost the IB.  

I generally agree with some of your post. However, I have a problem with the statement "Auburn fans are no better or worse than any other CFB fan", which maybe is true, but this assertion reduces INDIVIDUAL responsibility. My assertion is one should know to act better and not be ignorant and hide in some random group because everyone does it.

Just think about the ignorance of some people who do stupid stuff because the "well he does it" explanation. (Example: The idiots who rushed the capital last year. 😉)

P.S. I doubt this post moves the thought meter with generally negative individuals, PM or the media industry one bit.

The people posting that mean fans are keeping recruits away are the same people posting about how soft today's generation of kids are. Make it make sense. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, creed said:

I generally agree with some of your post. However, I have a problem with the statement "Auburn fans are no better or worse than any other CFB fan", which maybe is true, but this assertion reduces INDIVIDUAL responsibility. My assertion is one should know to act better and not be ignorant and hide in some random group because everyone does it.

Just think about the ignorance of some people who do stupid stuff because the "well he does it" explanation. (Example: The idiots who rushed the capital last year. 😉)

P.S. I doubt this post moves the thought meter with generally negative individuals, PM or the media industry one bit.

Are any posts going to move that meter? JS

The whole thing is weird. It’s weird that fans are so angry about which players go to Auburn, or any school. It’s weird that fans are so angry about how a teenager or early 20s kid performs in sports. It’s weird that a kid and his family would make a judgment on where they play based on reactions of fans on social media. 

• Like 1

On average, fanbases have the same spectrum of personalities. Growing up Auburn and undergrad, in my naivety I thought we hosted many unique fan challenges; however, attending graduate school at a couple of other SEC institutions I had an "ah-ha" moment when I realized there are similar fan murmurs among each fan base. Some fan bases have unique timeline nuances but at the 30,000 ft-level you could probably categorize fans into personality groups and it holds whether it's UGA, AU, Tenn, UA, OU, LSU, etc. etc. In a nutshell, JABA, etc. occurs at other institutions and we could easily sit back and come up with head scratching moments from each SEC institution. This ebb and flow is not unique to Auburn. I have no doubt Tenn could give us a run with some of their recent crazy. 

In reflection, I have found various team fan forums actually exhibit more animosity toward fellow forum members vs. players, rivals, coaches, etc. AUFamily actually does a good job with culture and monitoring because there are times I was disappointed, i.e., UGA fan forum, on how members communicated with each other. Saying it was vicious would be an understatement and probably ventures into some type of mental illness. However, these individuals are not unique to just UGA but unfortunately it's part of online interaction, if not monitored.  Maybe fans have changed over the years or maybe it's because you can't sneeze without it being on the internet for all to see. 

The notion of challenging fan feedback ventures beyond AU, SEC, NCAA and encompasses the entire sports industry, i.e.,  NFL, NBA, etc. It's not contained within a singular business bubble. I can appreciate the Mama Bear reaction from Nix's family but if he chooses to stay in college and professional sports, the critical judgement doesn't stop once you leave AU. Hopefully, this is something high school athletes are made aware of. It's a tough world out there when you are on public display in an industry that is based on passionate fans. 

You can spin this to be uniquely Auburn, but outside the AU bubble, each team has the same fan personalities...unfortunately/fortunately. 

Edited by AU_Canoe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

No he doesn’t…..but he’s done more damage with this stupid article than any Auburn fan has probably ever done because now this garbage is trending on social media and everyone is talking about it, including us.  So thank PM for putting it on the radar. 

The statements are true, therefore they should be on the radar.

• Haha 2

What a weird article to put out. I wish it wouldn’t have gained any traction because all this does is make people draw more attention to it. This is not an Auburn thing. Watch Twitter after UGA and/or Bama loses Monday and neither one of those fanbases have anything to ***** about. Alabama’s kicker had to remove himself from social media all together after the kick six because of death threats. Felipe Franks was in tears after a game once because of death threats from Florida fans. This is an everywhere problem. This article feels like a hit piece completely creating this narrative that Auburn fans are the world’s worst. I’m pretty active on Twitter and rarely do I see Auburn fans under recruits tweets or under a players tweets. It happens but not like it’s being portrayed in the article. Also if this works, printing out opposing fans tweets and giving it to recruits parents, then why aren’t we doing the same because I could find hundreds right now. 

• Like 3

I'd love to see PM and these people define exactly what kind of language constitutes this "negativity, hatred, animosity" etc. I think it would expose their oversensitivity in a heartbeat.

If Bo Nix makes a bad throw or has a bad game, and someone makes a post that says as much, surely people aren't so sensitive that they think that's unacceptable. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

Like write this story right now....why? I can't stand pm

Dude I swear Auburn beat writers hate Auburn. Lol. I know they have to be unbiased but seems like they are biased in the wrong direction. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I'd love to see PM and these people define exactly what kind of language constitutes this "negativity, hatred, animosity" etc. I think it would expose their oversensitivity in a heartbeat.

If Bo Nix makes a bad throw or has a bad game, and someone makes a post that says as much, surely people aren't so sensitive that they think that's unacceptable. 

Well we can look on this board how it went.....and it seems people say this board isn't as bad as others, so I can imagine how it got at other places.

I would post Bo has to make a better throw and inevitably I would get you're a Bo hater. Even when he did the bull he did me talking about that multiple people said we know you hate Bo you don't have to worry about him.......I haven't made one personal post but that's what everybody says.

And I'm known as one of the more knowledgeable posters. You literally can't critique Bo without a fight from someone. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, aublue88 said:

Good post.

I don't understand how so many Auburn assume such an attitude of entitlement.

It's as if they never read the creed.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:23 PM, abw0004 said:

Just look at the Calzada commitment thread.  I never thought I would ever see that many people complaining about someone's commitment to Auburn.

Maybe we have too many fans that don't know who Coach Barfield is????

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He has more connections inside the athletic department than everyone on this board combined.  It sounds like what people want is reporting that tells them what they want to hear, instead of actually reporting what they have learned.

Phil had a lot of connections at one time. COVID, the coaching change, and Alan Green being almost persona non-grata in the athletic department has really hurt Phil’s sources. You can see it in the style of his writing now. Much of it is short, content-free, and opinion based.

Phil had a lot of inside knowledge during the lead-up, and the days following the firing of Gus. Then he was flying blind. Because of COVID, he has not been able to walk the halls or do anything face to face. CBH will not call on him during Zoom press conferences. Phil complains about CBH’s long-winded answers, that CBH is just trying to run the clock out so most of the reporters don’t get a chance to ask a question. But Phil does not do a good job of getting the nuggets out of CBH’s long-winded answers like others can.

Phil does have connections that are no longer connected to Auburn, so an article like this (second-hand, hearsay, etc.) is the best Phil can do about getting a “scoop” about Auburn. Some have speculated the source for this was CGM, but I think it could be Kevin Steele or Rodney Garner, both of which Phil had relationships with.

Regarding the whole social media thing about Bo Nix, I scoured Nix’s Instagram and the only negative comments I saw were from people who clearly were fans of Auburn’s rivals. I don’t doubt there were negative comments on message boards, but I think the social media posts about Bo were getting amplified by his family. I think 90% of the “Auburn fans hate Bo” issue was when he was booed during the GSU game, and when Finley was cheered, which was in the stadium, not on social media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cbo said:

And now he's saying Harsin got rid of Kobe for no reason. Check the Kobe Gone thread. PM needs to pack it up. 

Yeah, I think the message from AU’s coaching staff was worded to protect Kobe and help him find another school. My guess is there was more there. I am guessing it was a lot of little things, rather than one big thing. Little things small enough to keep him from losing playing time, but enough of them the coaching staff decided it was best to part ways.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have to disagree. 

Auburn fans are no worst than any other fan base,   BUT NO OTHER SCHOOL has the plethora  of bama posters also thrashing Auburn  posing  as Auburn fans... and a lot  not posing but post as plain bama fans.    NO THER SCHOOL has as much negative coverage in the state and national media media which is dominated by their big rival.   Add to that the naïve posters and fans that take this  negative media and run with it trying to pass it off as football knowledge.

We have to put up with more negativity than any other school BY FAR!   specific fan  comments may not  make it to the recruit,  but the atmosphere created by the negative comments by fans/press /posers eventually does.  

I do think our fan base has become more toxic over the last 20 years. It has been a manic ride, to say the least. That makes people jaded. Jetgate in 2003. Being screwed out of a chance to play for the NC in 2004. Winning 6 in a row as Bama imploded. The BCS National Championship in 2010. Updyke poisoning the Toomer’s Oaks, which even with multiple replantings has still not fully recovered to this day. The collapse in 2012. The miracle season in 2013. Inexplicable issues from mid-2014 to mid-2017. An incredibly stupid contract extension in 2017. Mediocracy in 2018 and 2019, followed by inexplicable play in 2020.

Then there is the fact our in-state rival is now the greatest powerhouse in the history of college football, and or other top rival, who we have struggled to beat more than Bama has quickly dominated the SEC East and become a perennial Top 5 program. Add to that, Bama, UGA, and LSU fans are incredibly nasty. Bama fans lining up to get pictures taken with Updyke. Grown LSU fans spitting on the AUMB.

We get more crap than any other team. Texas has Oklahoma. Michigan has Ohio State. Florida has Georgia. USCe had Clemson. Texas A&M has no one, those cowards fled their conference and their In-State rival.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Yep. And I don’t think PM has any idea how to actually see what is being said on social media. Somebody sends him a handful of select screenshots, and he thinks that represents 90% of the social media posts.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Yeah, I think the message from AU’s coaching staff was worded to protect Kobe and help him find another school. My guess is there was more there. I am guessing it was a lot of little things, rather than one big thing. Little things small enough to keep him from losing playing time, but enough of them the coaching staff decided it was best to part ways.

That is the most likely explanation. Harsin keeps things close to the vest, so why would this be different? He's not going to badmouth players to us or Philip Marshall.  

Jordyn Peters chiming in now in agreement with PM. Score another point in the "CBH was exactly the right guy" column. His toughness transformation was apparently needed since Malzahn's dudes were thrown off by social media. 

I'm not going to read 6 pages of posts...has this angle been covered: 

Apparently  every team needs a negative recruiting social media department.  Hire a couple dozen students on the cheap to create fake fan accounts of other teams and watch the soft (probably Texas, bird) recruits flip.  This is too easy if what PM says is true.