Jump to content

Negative Fans costing us in recruiting


WFE12
 Share

Recommended Posts

Fortunately, I was able to spot at least a couple of very positive AU fans at last nights basketball game. A handful were spotted at last season’s Iron Bowl too. There’s still hope for us. 🤞 

Link to comment
Share on other sites





I’ll say this. What I try to do whenever anyone critiques me is listen to what they have to say and honestly look inwardly and see if and what changes I need to make. It doesn’t matter how stupid or wrong I think it is, I can always be wrong, so I look at it.
 

Can our fan base be better? Absolutely. I truly believe we have a LOT of fans that flat out suck. Just look at this new recruit we got from Texas A&M and how he was bashed on here. It was saddening.

Having said that, I really don’t know what to say to someone that believes we are worse than any other fan base in the SEC, let alone the country. That is patently, unequivocally, 100% false. If you believe otherwise, you must only read Auburn fan stuff. I especially don’t know what to say to an Auburn “journalist” who is the main figurehead for a massive Auburn fan site that believes for a second the crap he was fed. And believes it enough, and is so ignorant enough, to post that NOW, and be oblivious to what might happen.  It’s absolutely unreal.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll say this too:

I haven’t read Marshal’s stuff in years. I thought he used to be good, maybe back around 2010-2014 or so, but after a while I got tired of reading articles where he actually sounded more like some Twitter-perusing fan giving an “I don’t really know, folks” opinion in all his articles rather than a journalist that knows anything. Everything he wrote I could have found on my own, and already knew because of this board anyway. I got tired of reading articles from someone who, as their profession would dictate, is supposed to FIND OUT and tell us the stuff we don’t know. But it just seemed like he was always saying, “Here’s the situation. Here’s what could happen. I honestly don’t know what will happen.” But this takes my dislike of him to a whole new level. There are only three ways to look at this:

1) He truly loves Auburn, actually hears this stuff, and wants to put it out there so Auburn fans change for the better

2) He’s downright stupid. Even if Number 1 is true, then you have to lean towards this as well. As many have said, why on earth would you post this? You of all people, now??? I 100% reject the idea that we are this bad. There is no way we are so bad that he had to put this out here now in hopes of it making a difference for the recruits we’re trying to get. 
 

3) He hates Auburn. ‘Nuff said. Don’t believe this one

 

Personally, I think it’s a blend of 1 and 2. He loves Auburn and is hearing all this negativity, but is not only ignorant of other fan bases, but was actually dumb enough to believe what he’s being fed. I don’t want to say he’s stupid, but my word, can you, as a thinking individual, think any less without it being intellectual malpractice? It’s mind-blowing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One could even argue that PM’s piece actually hurts recruiting. After all, why draw attention to something so negative?

This article was as absurd as it was unneeded. 
 

Win. That’s all. Just win games.

#BasketballIsPositive 

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

One could even argue that PM’s piece actually hurts recruiting. After all, why draw attention to something so negative?

This article was as absurd as it was unneeded. 
 

Win. That’s all. Just win games.

#BasketballIsPositive 

We're at a very interesting crossroads in college sports. Regardless of what you think about NIL, bazillion dollar deals for coaching, palaces for football facilities, ticket prices, the portal... the thing everybody has to admit is that the dynamics of college football have changed. 

Old Model of CFB: No pay for players, lower money for coaches, and therefore less scrutiny. The argument was "these kids are just student athletes playing for their schools, it isn't fair to criticize them." Which is true, IMO.

New Model of CFB: Huge money and the sport becoming essentially professional football. So why is anybody shocked that people are more critical? That's the price you pay for turning CFB into what it is today.

Kids can't expect to be paid and treated like pro athletes while unconditionally supported like amateur athletes. 

There's never a need to get personal, of course. But being critical of play should be expected.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

KD Johnson: "I love The Jungle. I ain't never play in front of something like this ... I love it. I appreciate it a lot. They play a big part in a lot of our wins"

“To me, the Jungle is the most feared student section in all of college basketball. I don’t think there’s a student section out there right now that impacts the game as much as the Jungle does in Auburn.” @CoachJimmyDykes

So you see, it is simple. Play better and this is what is ahead. Except many times more amplified. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

One could even argue that PM’s piece actually hurts recruiting. After all, why draw attention to something so negative?

This article was as absurd as it was unneeded. 
 

Win. That’s all. Just win games.

#BasketballIsPositive 

His source on this was a coach who was fired. Yeah, no axe to grind here. Not hard to figure out who it is. 

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2022 at 9:57 PM, AU9377 said:

He has more connections inside the athletic department than everyone on this board combined.  It sounds like what people want is reporting that tells them what they want to hear, instead of actually reporting what they have learned.

No he doesn't. He has ZERO contacts in the AD now. NONE. Jay Jacobs is gone. That was his one and only source in the AD for years. I can tell you this with 100% certain. Tubs and his staff feed him info when they wanted. Same with Chiz and his staff. He was manipulated by both staffs when it was in those staff benefit. Gus and his staff didn't do anything like the other two. Now? Where is he getting his info? Greene? Harsin? Come on man.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No he doesn't. He has ZERO contacts in the AD now. NONE. Jay Jacobs is gone. That was his one and only source in the AD for years. I can tell you this with 100% certain. Tubs and his staff feed him info when they wanted. Same with Chiz and his staff. He was manipulated by both staffs when it was in those staff benefit. Gus and his staff didn't do anything like the other two. Now? Where is he getting his info? Greene? Harsin? Come on man.  

I believe you are 100% correct on this. The man was sitting in the stands holding court with fans during the open practice in March....... When most journalists were on the sidelines.

 

I guess he was doing research for a lifestyle piece during the first practice open to the public, huh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is as BS and anything I've ever seen. Message boards and twitter don't cost AU or anyone recruits. I might now know a lot about the X's and O's of football but I damn sure know recruiting and how it works. Have any of you looked at LSU's boards and twitter this year? Kentucky after that loss last weekend? Brutal. 

PAM and people like him, those of who rely on people with an agenda, are the ones who are the problems. All of that bull**** he wrote about the coaching search, none of it was anywhere close to true. He is the problem.  

Ex Au coach, who was FIRED, was his source on this one. So if you support his site you are hurting AU more than the mean old twitters. Fact. I've talked with these kids, They are not blind sheet being steering by the mean old internet fans. 

You are forgetting that he was dead on concerning the original plan to have Steele named HC.  I'm not defending everything the man has written, but to claim that he doesn't have contacts inside the athletic department and university is simply not true.  Allen Greene went head first into a power struggle with some very influential people.  He lost the first battle when Gogue told him to go ahead and fire Gus.  Then, to the surprise of those same very influential people, Gogue then let it be known that it was Greene's job as AD to find a new coach and that he would not be told to hire from within. Greene then kept every ounce of information to himself. He made the hire with the approval of Gogue and without consulting anyone else.  That is why nobody knew exactly what was going on after the dismissal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Then, to the surprise of those same very influential people, Gogue then let it be known that it was Greene's job as AD to find a new coach and that he would not be told to hire from within.

How could it be a surprise to anyone that it is the ADs job to hire the football coach. I’m pretty certain it’s in the job description for every AD in the nation that they hire and fire coaches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Make no mistake here. PAM has a business to run and people to answer to. He has to get those clicks. His sources are drying up. Most have been pushed aside. PAM was exposed as a fraud during the coaching search. He has an agenda now and hitched his wagon to the wrong folks. Been this was for years. He's trash and I've said that for years here. 

You're not the only one that said he was trash.

And I've said as much on here too as far as how inside info works. It can change as far as recruiting class, and it can change as far as new staffs coming in and out. Now people will try to forge relationships to stay in the know but it's not guaranteed to be the same.

That's why it's also stupid to think only the same people will ALWAYS know and scoff at new people when situations arise.  But yes Marshall needs clicks for success and validation......it's as bad as a drug addict needing drugs. They'll try to get it by any means necessary

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They’ll be negative posts tonight for Bama or Dawgs. Wondering what he had to say about this?

Edited by Tigger1985
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’ll say this too:

I haven’t read Marshal’s stuff in years. I thought he used to be good, maybe back around 2010-2014 or so, but after a while I got tired of reading articles where he actually sounded more like some Twitter-perusing fan giving an “I don’t really know, folks” opinion in all his articles rather than a journalist that knows anything. Everything he wrote I could have found on my own, and already knew because of this board anyway. I got tired of reading articles from someone who, as their profession would dictate, is supposed to FIND OUT and tell us the stuff we don’t know. But it just seemed like he was always saying, “Here’s the situation. Here’s what could happen. I honestly don’t know what will happen.” But this takes my dislike of him to a whole new level. 

Everything you posted here is true.  PM is an old, out of the loop writer looking for relevance and desperately has to regurgitate old opinion pieces to keep his job.  He hasn’t published anything worth a crap in several years.  
 

AU should call him out for crap like this bringing negativity to the program while the Coaching staff’s working their asses off to haul in much needed talent.  Boo boo PM boo on you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Make no mistake here. PAM has a business to run and people to answer to. He has to get those clicks. His sources are drying up. Most have been pushed aside. PAM was exposed as a fraud during the coaching search. He has an agenda now and hitched his wagon to the wrong folks. Been this was for years. He's trash and I've said that for years here. 

I think you nailed it! absolutely !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taking a slightly opposite perspective, it would be worthwhile for the AD, SID, and boosters to mount a long-range campaign to culture some new journalistic talent AND positions for them somewhere in state media to produce informed press on Auburn. I'm not advocating for propaganda. In this state there is a paucity of would-be sports writers and small market for them to cover Auburn. If that void is just randomly filled, it will likely be filled by people with crimson glasses. Fine if atrophied writers move out to pasture, but we do need some press outside our press releases. Also, at some point Harsin and staff need to find some folks they kinda trust and proactively feed a little more info. I respect not throwing players or staff under the bus. But the wholesale comms blackout doesn't actually build all the support they need. There are ways to do it professionally without forcing Hars through charm school and making him do a cooking show. On the to do list for after signing day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, AEAugirl said:

This is pure 100% BS, and put out by Phillip Marshall no less.

It reeks of Gus Malzahn, or something the Nix family has floated out there.  

Auburn fans are no better nor worse than any other fans in CFB.  Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.  Pretty sure they were sending that kicker death threats when he lost the IB.  

You should see the threats and garbage that Uga made Bennet endure after the sec champ game. They hated his guts … up until the final whistle tonight. 
We are fanatics. Heck we are on a message board about football for goodness sakes. 
Also PM has an agenda. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AU9377 said:

You are forgetting that he was dead on concerning the original plan to have Steele named HC.  I'm not defending everything the man has written, but to claim that he doesn't have contacts inside the athletic department and university is simply not true.  Allen Greene went head first into a power struggle with some very influential people.  He lost the first battle when Gogue told him to go ahead and fire Gus.  Then, to the surprise of those same very influential people, Gogue then let it be known that it was Greene's job as AD to find a new coach and that he would not be told to hire from within. Greene then kept every ounce of information to himself. He made the hire with the approval of Gogue and without consulting anyone else.  That is why nobody knew exactly what was going on after the dismissal.

Steele was NEVER EVER considered for being the man to replace Gus. You are living in a fairytale world if you believe some of what you wrote. Greene lost the first battle and was forced to fire Gus? Is that what you said here? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AUx said:

Taking a slightly opposite perspective, it would be worthwhile for the AD, SID, and boosters to mount a long-range campaign to culture some new journalistic talent AND positions for them somewhere in state media to produce informed press on Auburn. I'm not advocating for propaganda. In this state there is a paucity of would-be sports writers and small market for them to cover Auburn. If that void is just randomly filled, it will likely be filled by people with crimson glasses. Fine if atrophied writers move out to pasture, but we do need some press outside our press releases. Also, at some point Harsin and staff need to find some folks they kinda trust and proactively feed a little more info. I respect not throwing players or staff under the bus. But the wholesale comms blackout doesn't actually build all the support they need. There are ways to do it professionally without forcing Hars through charm school and making him do a cooking show. On the to do list for after signing day.

Auburn does offer journalism degrees so it would not be hard at all to find interns, or a program where you can work up to a full time job upon graduation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn does offer journalism degrees so it would not be hard at all to find interns, or a program where you can work up to a full time job upon graduation.

Who would hire? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO The rise of uga becoming bama-like has starved a lot of au’s historic recruiting base. Look how much of Pearl’s team is from ga.  It’s a huge problem. The impact of this is a talent deficiency that isn’t going to get fixed quickly.  And the frustration has driven our more extreme fans (some who need to get a hobby)  …. nutty on social media. Which then hurts our “family” brand and appeal. Making things worse.

I agree this board has changed over the years, and now may be more part of the problem than the solution. I’m hopeful this/we will change and we’ll grind our way back over time.

Until then, there’s basketball

 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Make no mistake here. PAM has a business to run and people to answer to. He has to get those clicks. His sources are drying up. Most have been pushed aside. PAM was exposed as a fraud during the coaching search. He has an agenda now and hitched his wagon to the wrong folks. Been this was for years. He's trash and I've said that for years here. 

That’s what annoyed me too. All of his coaching update articles (that I read) were always just him tossing around names of coaches that could be found on Twitter, any message board, or even if you asked an Auburn fan who they wanted. And then he would opine on what he thought of them and if they’d be good fits or how likely they were to leave. It was literal breakroom talk, and yet he’s a “journalist” that is supposed to be “well connected”. I’m usually slow to form an overall negative opinion of someone, but I’m with ya now. I’d love to see Auburn fans on that site call him out and then cancel their subscriptions en mass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

IMO The rise of uga becoming bama-like has starved a lot of au’s historic recruiting base. Look how much of Pearl’s team is from ga.  It’s a huge problem. The impact of this is a talent deficiency that isn’t going to get fixed quickly.  And the frustration has driven our more extreme fans (some who need to get a hobby)  …. nutty on social media. Which then hurts our “family” brand and appeal. Making things worse.

I agree this board has changed over the years, and now may be more part of the problem than the solution. I’m hopeful this/we will change and we’ll grind our way back over time.

Until then, there’s basketball

 

I commit to being part if solution rather than the problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...