Negative Fans costing us in recruiting

WFE12

17 hours ago, keesler said:

Everything you posted here is true.  PM is an old, out of the loop writer looking for relevance and desperately has to regurgitate old opinion pieces to keep his job.  He hasn’t published anything worth a crap in several years.  

AU should call him out for crap like this bringing negativity to the program while the Coaching staff’s working their asses off to haul in much needed talent.  Boo boo PM boo on you. 

Opinion pieces that I would be surprised if anyone but his family read…

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn does offer journalism degrees so it would not be hard at all to find interns, or a program where you can work up to a full time job upon graduation.

It still requires some proactive, top-down influence. Even at the plainsman, the 'establishment is evil' liberalism makes sports journalism a frowned-upon vocation by other editorial staff. So it would help to to, for instance, match scholarships to someone who wants to make a career of sports journalism AND who LOVES Auburn. Give them special perks and access in the AD, so when they move on, they retain a special appreciation for Auburn. Not sure if any AU alumnus owns equity in a major publication in the state of Alabama, but there has to be a position in a publication whose editorial staff doesn't hate Auburn from whence to foster a career. Maybe eventually some journalists and athlete commentators move onto the national stage. Think - anti-Herbstriet and anti-Fienbaum. Just my humble perspective. Maybe it already happens but just hasn't paid dividends, yet.

38 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That’s what annoyed me too. All of his coaching update articles (that I read) were always just him tossing around names of coaches that could be found on Twitter, any message board, or even if you asked an Auburn fan who they wanted. And then he would opine on what he thought of them and if they’d be good fits or how likely they were to leave. It was literal breakroom talk, and yet he’s a “journalist” that is supposed to be “well connected”. I’m usually slow to form an overall negative opinion of someone, but I’m with ya now. I’d love to see Auburn fans on that site call him out and then cancel their subscriptions en mass.

No doubt, he's still writing for the people who don't have the interweb, would theoretically read the article in print, and to whom twitter gossip would be news. That demographic is almost extinct. Sad, really (the part about PM not having ability to develop sources of real, factual information).

Edited by AUx
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AUx said:

Taking a slightly opposite perspective, it would be worthwhile for the AD, SID, and boosters to mount a long-range campaign to culture some new journalistic talent AND positions for them somewhere in state media to produce informed press on Auburn. I'm not advocating for propaganda. In this state there is a paucity of would-be sports writers and small market for them to cover Auburn. If that void is just randomly filled, it will likely be filled by people with crimson glasses. Fine if atrophied writers move out to pasture, but we do need some press outside our press releases. Also, at some point Harsin and staff need to find some folks they kinda trust and proactively feed a little more info. I respect not throwing players or staff under the bus. But the wholesale comms blackout doesn't actually build all the support they need. There are ways to do it professionally without forcing Hars through charm school and making him do a cooking show. On the to do list for after signing day.

Hang on, I think you're on to something there.  How about ... Harsin doing say, a televised cooking show at the new Culinary Science Center with various guests, starting with Snoop Dog & Martha:  

Bp7QKyjXCDaCs.gif

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Hang on, I think you're on to something there.  How about ... Harsin doing say, a televised cooking show at the new Culinary Science Center with various guests, starting with Snoop Dog & Martha:  

Bp7QKyjXCDaCs.gif

Now that's the kind of out of the box thinking we need around here. Great synergy! If we had the bandwidth for it, it looks like low hanging fruit to which we should pivot. Let's take it offline and circle back on this soon. Put a pin in it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AUx said:

Now that's the kind of out of the box thinking we need around here. Great synergy! If we had the bandwidth for it, it looks like low hanging fruit to which we should pivot. Let's take it offline and circle back on this soon. Put a pin in it.

We may have to start him with simple recipies -- otherwise that "you want it done fast or you want it done right" mindset  of his might get in the way of TV time production ... ...

35 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

We may have to start him with simple recipies -- otherwise that "you want it done fast or you want it done right" mindset  of his might get in the way of TV time production ... ...

In actuality, this is probably more suited to Bryan Harsin.

topgear_Harsin.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That’s what annoyed me too. All of his coaching update articles (that I read) were always just him tossing around names of coaches that could be found on Twitter, any message board, or even if you asked an Auburn fan who they wanted. And then he would opine on what he thought of them and if they’d be good fits or how likely they were to leave. It was literal breakroom talk, and yet he’s a “journalist” that is supposed to be “well connected”. I’m usually slow to form an overall negative opinion of someone, but I’m with ya now. I’d love to see Auburn fans on that site call him out and then cancel their subscriptions en mass.

Wasn't PAM the one pushing the nonsense that Bill Clark turing the AU job down? Am I recalling this correctly? Which wasn't true at all. Clark never even got a call from AU. His agent reached out and AU said "Thanks but no thanks." . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn fans aren't any more negative than the unwashed masses across the state. The difference is, if a supposed beat writer kept attacking their institution as ours does, that beat writer would be out on their ass. We are weak in that regard.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Auburn fans aren't any more negative than the unwashed masses across the state. The difference is, if a supposed beat writer kept attacking their institution as ours does, that beat writer would be out on their ass. We are weak in that regard.

Amen!  PM needs to be put out to pasture.  He should know when it's time to go and now that he has zero connections within AU AD, it's time to GO.  

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Amen!  PM needs to be put out to pasture.  He should know when it's time to go and now that he has zero connections within AU AD, it's time to GO.  

Probably just trying to make it to retirement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Probably just trying to make it to retirement.

Aren't we all. In my case, though, retirement seems to be getting older at the exact same rate I am :(

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, McLoofus said:

Humans make me sad. 

Earth would be awesome without people, am I right? 😝 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Earth would be awesome without people, am I right? 😝 

I bet everyone totally wants me to post my full answer right here in this thread...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Aren't we all. In my case, though, retirement seems to be getting older at the exact same rate I am :(

Yep, it’s not about the age, just the pennies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wasn't PAM the one pushing the nonsense that Bill Clark turing the AU job down? Am I recalling this correctly? Which wasn't true at all. Clark never even got a call from AU. His agent reached out and AU said "Thanks but no thanks." . 

I’ve been trying to research that and see. All I have been able to find so far is this:

Two new candidates have reportedly been offered invitations to interview for the job: UAB’s Bill Clark and West Virginia’s Neal Brown, per Phillip Marshall of Auburn Undercover.”

That was from Auburnwire.usatoday.com

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I bet everyone totally wants me to post my full answer right here in this thread...

So much mystery shrouding that. 😂 I know my answer to "Earth would be awesome without parasi......I mean humans." would not be enjoyed.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’ve been trying to research that and see. All I have been able to find so far is this:

Two new candidates have reportedly been offered invitations to interview for the job: UAB’s Bill Clark and West Virginia’s Neal Brown, per Phillip Marshall of Auburn Undercover.”

That was from Auburnwire.usatoday.com

Neither of those two got a sniff from AU. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, AEAugirl said:

Hell, go to a Bama message board after they lose and see the stuff they say about their players.  Read the things they tweet.

The Monday after the A&M loss, a regular bammer caller on SiriusXM stated emphatically, “I do not want to see Grandpa Saban anymore. I want to see old Saban. Please get rid of Grandpa Saban.”

So yes…it goes on even at the almighty Crapstone.  

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Daren Bates mentioned on his show that he's not buying the quote from PM

nsfw language

PAM is just the mouthpiece for the salty kevin steele lovers who are going to make it really hard for harsin to succeed at any and every turn.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, AUx said:

It still requires some proactive, top-down influence. Even at the plainsman, the 'establishment is evil' liberalism makes sports journalism a frowned-upon vocation by other editorial staff. So it would help to to, for instance, match scholarships to someone who wants to make a career of sports journalism AND who LOVES Auburn. Give them special perks and access in the AD, so when they move on, they retain a special appreciation for Auburn. Not sure if any AU alumnus owns equity in a major publication in the state of Alabama, but there has to be a position in a publication whose editorial staff doesn't hate Auburn from whence to foster a career. Maybe eventually some journalists and athlete commentators move onto the national stage. Think - anti-Herbstriet and anti-Fienbaum. Just my humble perspective. Maybe it already happens but just hasn't paid dividends, yet.

i will pitch in a doobie or a couple of bong hits! what you got?