Southern Cal QB Transferring

Proud Tiger

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I didn't, just saying "it makes more sense."  

And a coach needs to win quickly for two reasons:

1. recruits/transfer and

2. get that second contract because it is more lucrative and plenty more perks and he is more entrenched

I get it.

Don’t think Venables would have said that if that is what he meant. Especially since he may have that same conference alignment he is supposedly dodging.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, Hank2020 said:

Nope, I just don’t see things the same as it was for some of those back coaches. When we got Dye to come on board things were probably about the The same as now due to Bryant dominance. I believe the hill is higher today than ever before due to dominance of recruiting by Saban and a few others ( us not included yet). I also believe the difference between true elite players and the rest are wider today. But completely believe we have to keep working at it.

Bear was at the end of his career (life) when Dye came on board.   Dye even struggled to beat some very bad Alabama teams.   He had his success against them but he had better success against GA.   
the difference between then and now is that currently the main teams auburn plays are at an unprecedented time, and it’s really not debatable.   Plus, auburn has never been able to sustain a high run of excellence in order to build the program into a contender year in and year out.   When the people in charge figure that part out, auburn will be able to compete every year.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Don’t think Venables would have said that if that is what he meant. Especially since he may have that same conference alignment he is supposedly dodging.

OU won't have the same conference alignment as Auburn has in the Western Div right now.   Lots of changes are coming...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It doesn't make much sense to me that a man of Venables's stature would admit publicly that he avoided the Auburn job because it's too hard.

What others have suggested he meant, and what makes much more sense to me, is that the "alignment"- or, implicitly, lack thereof- he was referring to was that of our power structure and football program. saban was able to hit the ground running at bama because they were aligned. He was given full autonomy and their network was ready to deliver him whatever talent he wanted. Everyone involved was prepared to do what he asked and what was need to win. While I don't think we've been as dysfunctional as some other very prominent programs, we certainly haven't been unified like that.

And this is where I have to point out that said lack of alignment does make the job harder, but not the hardest job in the country or even our division. 

I hear you.  And historically, bama was pretty disjointed before they hired Saban.  Not saying they were worse or better than our backdoor people, but I recall stories and laughing as they hired those three "Mike's".   I recall the Dubose hire was hotly contested before he showed up...

Venables is not an idiot and him choosing the word "alignment" was  pretty safe.   

We can only speculate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

OU won't have the same conference alignment as Auburn has in the Western Div right now.   Lots of changes are coming...

If OU won’t then AU won’t either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

If OU won’t then AU won’t either.

Let me ask you this - taking the Auburn job and getting to that second contract is harder or easier than taking the OU job or harder?  (right now, not when OU joins the SEC)

Auburn vs OU  now and getting to that second contract, probably 3-4 yrs in.

That is part of the decision that Venables weighed.   Call me an idiot if you like, but I would take the OU job, get to that second contract, 1st extension before we join the SEC and be set.  

No. Stop.  Let's let this die.  I am sure I am the only one that looks at job difficulty and considers money in the same vein.  

Edited by Beaker

In regards to Dart, gotta say this one is a major head scratcher for me. We supposedly offer CW a nice deal, but we're going up against Lincoln Riley and LA. No shame in that, way to swing big. Why not offer some of that money to Dart? The competition is WVU, BYU, TCU, OM, and OU (with Gabriel committed).

Not like those schools are known as major spenders. If we offered CW a million, offer half of it to Dart and make him say no. He and the staff probably know each other from out west.

12 hours ago, au302 said:

In regards to Dart, gotta say this one is a major head scratcher for me. We supposedly offer CW a nice deal, but we're going up against Lincoln Riley and LA. No shame in that, way to swing big. Why not offer some of that money to Dart? The competition is WVU, BYU, TCU, OM, and OU (with Gabriel committed).

Not like those schools are known as major spenders. If we offered CW a million, offer half of it to Dart and make him say no. He and the staff probably know each other from out west.

I think the problem is the AU Nil group was not the ones involved with the 1mil offer to CW. I had heard it was something Cam and his group were doing back channels to help get CW. The AU NIL is not, I don't think poised to go with these big mil dollar NIL contracts, bc Alabama law has restricted our NIL to NOT include any of our big money booster who have any ties to AU at all.

Anyway, it's possible that Cam and this investment group doesn't want to spend that big money on a guy no where near CW's worth, even if it is half. IMO.

And to add to this those other schools like OM, and some in other states have very little state restrictions on their NIL offers. It would blow your mind to hear some of the backdoor offers to these top of the line transfers are getting from like OM, who are not restricted by the money limitations we are under.

It's the WWW out there in recruiting land...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think the problem is the AU Nil group was not the ones involved with the 1mil offer to CW. I had heard it was something Cam and his group were doing back channels to help get CW. The AU NIL is not, I don't think poised to go with these big mil dollar NIL contracts, bc Alabama law has restricted our NIL to NOT include any of our big money booster who have any ties to AU at all.

Anyway, it's possible that Cam and this investment group doesn't want to spend that big money on a guy no where near CW's worth, even if it is half. IMO.

And to add to this those other schools like OM, and some in other states have very little state restrictions on their NIL offers. It would blow your mind to hear some of the backdoor offers to these top of the line transfers are getting from like OM, who are not restricted by the money limitations we are under.

It's the WWW out there in recruiting land...

If everything you say is true then this will not only hurt us but it will hurt Bama. I don’t know how it could be true with the NIL deal that Bryce Young has.

40 minutes ago, wcware said:

If everything you say is true then this will not only hurt us but it will hurt Bama. I don’t know how it could be true with the NIL deal that Bryce Young has.

As i said, It's all how you manage the sate law. 

Alabama has a much wider wealth network outside of just boosters for the school IMO. Young's deal can be as high as what we have heard, as long as those providing it meet the guidelines of our state restrictions are who can participate in NIL deals. Most of our money people may be too integrated into our University serving in capacities too that make them restricted.

They are working to change these restrictive laws in our legislature, but it won't happen until this session starts and ends. Well past all the nIL floating out there now.

And our NIL model something very structured and is trying to do things right for ALL AU students who want something in NIL. 

It is a mess, that is for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

As i said, It's all how you manage the sate law. 

Alabama has a much wider wealth network outside of just boosters for the school IMO. Young's deal can be as high as what we have heard, as long as those providing it meet the guidelines of our state restrictions are who can participate in NIL deals. Most of our money people may be too integrated into our University serving in capacities too that make them restricted.

They are working to change these restrictive laws in our legislature, but it won't happen until this session starts and ends. Well past all the nIL floating out there now.

And our NIL model something very structured and is trying to do things right for ALL AU students who want something in NIL. 

It is a mess, that is for sure. 

Appreciate some understanding of the legal side of this. It explains maybe why things are moving at a slower pace regarding NIL than some other states.

• Like 1