2022 Class Update: Jan 11th

Zeek

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Offensive Line (unsure)

Mason Brooks (WKU transfer), Tae Woody (FSU commit), and a few others are all being targeted. Not particularly happy with Will Firend's recruiting to be honest.

If Will Friend can't excel at recruiting the position which is our most substantive problem then why was he retained?  Seems we have a tremendous need for an elite recruiter on the offensive side of the ball considering how we have done with defensive recruiting. Until that happens we will eternally be half a team.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Making a separate thread when I have lengthy updates. The main thread has 125+ pages so I'm not too surprised if most posters have missed some of the news and where we stand. Also, since I'm pretty busy for the next three months, I will not be able to post as frequently if you haven't already noticed.

Here is a position by position breakdown on who we're still pursuing in the 2022 class (both transfers and high school targets).

Quarterback (looking for 1 more transfer)

After adding Zach Calzada from Texas A&M many felt like we were done at the position. Truth is the staff is going to add one more transfer quarterback it's just a matter of who. Caleb Williams is the prime target and would likely beat out Calzada for the QB1 spot here at Auburn. If that falls through, and it's hard not to view USCw as the favorite, then look for the Tigers to add a depth piece like Brock Vandagriff at Georiga.

Running Back (looking for 1 more either transfer or high school)

Here is our staff's "Big Board" at the position:

1. TreVonte Citizen - 4* HS RB being pursued by Michigan State, Miami, Florida, and Auburn. Apparently this is going to come down to who the dad prefers. We are told if Auburn gets another unofficial visit than there should be some optimism. As of now I think we're running second until we get him back on campus.

2. Dylan McDuffie - Buffalo transfer. If he receives an AU offer than it's likely we know we aren't landing Citizen.

3. Ajay Allen - 3* TCU commit 

Wide Receiver (looking for at least 1 more but the staff would likely take 2 for the right player)

ULL transfer Kyren Lacy 6'3" 212 lbs, 22 receptions for 304 yards and 6 TDs in 2021, and some have referred to him as a lock at this point. It won't be too surprising to see this become official sooner rather than later. He is a big bodied receiver that averages a good number of yards and is a TD magnet. It would be a nice addition for sure.

Offensive Line (unsure)

Mason Brooks (WKU transfer), Tae Woody (FSU commit), and a few others are all being targeted. Not particularly happy with Will Firend's recruiting to be honest.

Corner Back (1 more)

DJ James from Oregon is the guy. The problem is Miami and Ole Miss have made the situation very competitive after it once felt like a lock. We should have an answer relatively soon.

***As I have been saying for a minute, don't expect Caden Story to stay in our class. The staff has moved on from him for a minute now from what I can tell***

3* Jack Pyburn is a 2022 Edge Rusher that I expect to see in the class as well. He is a project for sure but comes from good stock and has a solid work ethic. We wanted Albany transfer Jared Verse but he went to FSU (screw those guys) so this appears to be the fall back plan. Pyburn has picked up a lot of interest as of late.

Linebacker is a fluid situation but we want to add a transfer at the position.

lacy is a done deal according to reddit and he is supposed to start classes tomorrow. i have no idea if it is true but i thought i would toss that out there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

If Will Friend can't excel at recruiting the position which is our most substantive problem then why was he retained?  Seems we have a tremendous need for an elite recruiter on the offensive side of the ball considering how we have done with defensive recruiting. Until that happens we will eternally be half a team.

I haven't stopped scratching my head on how Harsin has handled his offensive staff since Bobo was hired. I thought for sure Friend was gone as soon as the Bobo was fired yet he is still here even though OL recruiting has been as bad as ever this year. I was hoping he was retained due to being able to bring in some big time transfers but still waiting on that to happen. 

• Like 2

I would venture a guess that Friend is only still here because Harsin hasn't been able to line up a suitable replacement. Why that is, I don't know, but I can't imagine it's an easy draw right now. Everybody seems happy to say that no QB wants to play behind this line, but imagine having to be the guy to fix it. 

I am curious why Bedell hasn't been given the job. He seems to be very active in recruiting and would be a natural fit from a coaching perspective. Guessing maybe Harsin is looking for a more local guy.

Anyway. I'm looking forward to offensive line never being this big of a problem again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am curious why Bedell hasn't been given the job. He seems to be very active in recruiting and would be a natural fit from a coaching perspective. Guessing maybe Harsin is looking for a more local guy.

Seems like Harsin is trying to expand out from is Boise Boy roots with coaching hires.  Either the NFL or other contacts.  Not sure if Bedell is good or bad, but it seems like it would be easier to replace a TE coach than an OL coach if he was what Harsin wanted

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Who is Mac Mcclinton? Seeing on Twitter he committed but I can't find him on our radar.

Screenshot_20220111-112436.png

He's 5'8 and 170.  At best he's a PWO, even that seems like a stretch

1 hour ago, shabby said:

As stated many many times, recruiting takes  couple of cycles to build relationships strong enough to get a commitment from a highly ranked player.  Friend has been on staff 1 yr.   I am not making excuses, just repeating what I have read. 

If we are getting someone in a short time span it is likely a lower ranked player or a flip (hard to do).

Now having said that, if we cycle Friend out - we start the recruiting process all over, basically.

I don't know the answer, but I suspect if we could upgrade with an NFL coach who fits the profile and Harsin thinks they want the challenge and will recruit, I suspect he may pull the trigger, but it will be another bump in the road....

• Like 1

Friend could be designated scape goat if we don't land some studs. How can he recruit effectively if first question a kid asks is will you be OL coach? If Friend hasn't been given a vote of confidence by CBH I think he has to keep a fairly low profile and he may be told as much. I would imagine our rivals are saying CWF is a lame duck. IMO he's a good coach and good recruiter, but not elite.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Beaker said:

As stated many many times, recruiting takes  couple of cycles to build relationships strong enough to get a commitment from a highly ranked player.  Friend has been on staff 1 yr.   I am not making excuses, just repeating what I have read. 

If we are getting someone in a short time span it is likely a lower ranked player or a flip (hard to do).

Now having said that, if we cycle Friend out - we start the recruiting process all over, basically.

I don't know the answer, but I suspect if we could upgrade with an NFL coach who fits the profile and Harsin thinks they want the challenge and will recruit, I suspect he may pull the trigger, but it will be another bump in the road....

Friend has been in the Southeast at UGA, then UT, then here.  He already has relationships 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I don't think that's true, necessarily. Especially since whatever relationships Friend has aren't doing us much good.

Also, I think Bedell is quietly a huge piece in the puzzle going forward. Just a hunch.

I think we can immediately upgrade our network with a good OL hire. If not, I do think we can more than make up for it with a splash hire like an NFL guy, as you said. Eason ended up doing massive work in year 1. The same can happen on the OL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Friend has been in the Southeast at UGA, then UT, then here.  He already has relationships 

And had a short stint at CSU.     Yeah, I hear you, but kids don't always follow that coach when they move on.   We thought he may attract  a couple from when he was recruiting for UT.   Or maybe a flip a commit....didn't happen so well.     I am not a huge fan yet. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think that's true, necessarily. Especially since whatever relationships Friend has aren't doing us much good.

Also, I think Bedell is quietly a huge piece in the puzzle going forward. Just a hunch.

I think we can immediately upgrade our network with a good OL hire. If not, I do think we can more than make up for it with a splash hire like an NFL guy, as you said. Eason ended up doing massive work in year 1. The same can happen on the OL.

Yeah, I have a good impresson of Bedell but I don't know anything.  

I think we are ALL up in arms on this subject.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It's hard to go back to those relationships and talk up a school he had been talking down about. 

I mentioned him 4 years ago when we were replacing Hand.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, bigbird said:

Alex Atkins would be a good pick up if we could make the change.

I'd still go after Alex for our next OL coach if Friend isn't retained. 

Heck of a teacher and recruiter.

https://seminoles.com/staff/alex-atkins/

https://247sports.com/coach/Alex-Atkins-2521/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's hard to go back to those relationships and talk up a school he had been talking down about. 

I mentioned him 4 years ago when we were replacing Hand.

I'd still go after Alex for our next OL coach if Friend isn't retained. 

Heck of a teacher and recruiter.

https://seminoles.com/staff/alex-atkins/

https://247sports.com/coach/Alex-Atkins-2521/

I like Atkins but he is already O-line coach and OC at FSU why would he come here just as an O-Line coach since we just hired a new OC.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Offensive Line (unsure)

This is the opposite of what I was hoping to see. We gotta get some kind of NIL extravaganza done for our linemen or we are royally f’d.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like Atkins but he is already O-line coach and OC at FSU why would he come here just as an O-Line coach since we just hired a new OC.

Pay him more and give him run game coordinator title. We are a step up from FSU

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is the opposite of what I was hoping to see. We gotta get some kind of NIL extravaganza done for our linemen or we are royally f’d.

I am sure we are doing some type of NIL but so are others. so far we have 4 O-linemen we seem to be trying to pull in 3 Portal Brooks OT, Torrence OT, Nourzad IOL, and 1 HS Woody IOL.  There may be a couple of other HS kids I am not sure.  I am extremely worried about O-Line recruiting both HS this year and Portal this year but I will wait till I see where these players commit before I will say we sucked in O-Line this year, we squeaked by or we filled a bunch of immediate needs. I believe Brooks and Torrence were on campus this week so I am hoping to hear something about them sooner then later especially since some posters indicated that we look really good for Brooks 

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Pay him more and give him run game coordinator title. We are a step up from FSU

Apparently we couldn't get Mason Brooks to commit on his visit and now he's about to visit Texas Tech. 

I know his OC went there, but damn....losing a player to texas tech hurts.  We can't get anyone.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently we couldn't get Mason Brooks to commit on his visit and now he's about to visit Texas Tech. 

I know his OC went there, but damn....losing a player to texas tech hurts.  We can't get anyone.

We may not get him and that would suck, but, weighing all options is important and wise.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We may not get him and that would suck, but, weighing all options is important and wise.

He is originally from Cedar Park, TX (Austin suburb).

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You answered your own question. IT does matter sometimes w/ these transfers when their position coach leaves, or if he is being offered by a school in the state he's actually from (Texas)...

Those are the little things that still can get in the way of even a strong position coach recruiter.

But I will add it definitely looks like Friend is NOT one of those strong recruiters that can get us those players who have other connects.

• Like 1