2022 Class Update: Jan 11th

Zeek

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

don't know the answer, but I suspect if we could upgrade with an NFL coach who fits the profile and Harsin thinks they want the challenge and will recruit, I suspect he may pull the trigger, but it will be another bump in the road....

Good point.  Several NFL OL coaches lost their jobs this week.  Maybe we find a good fit and snatch him up.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

He is originally from Cedar Park, TX (Austin suburb).

So he's soft...next

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So he's soft...next

"You have an amazing economy with words....."

• Thanks 1

At one time Quick was at or near the top of our OL Board, but signed baseball with UAT in November probably because he was a Bama fan (his brother was there at the time). Now that brother and maybe family have soured on Tide and transferred to Ga. Tech, could PQ switch to football at GT or AU or is he stuck at a school that his brother just left.  Does anyone know? Seems like I heard about someone entering portal before starting College classes.

The OLine problems are dire and it’s making me extremely nervous at this point. I was hoping to see some movement, even just one or two guys before the semester started.

These problems were  not created by this coaching staff but they got no choice but to fix them. If Harsin has to handle it personally then let him. I’m sure I’m overreacting but I’m sick and ****ing tired of going into the season with the same lackluster talent. The vast majority of OLineman in the portal can start for Auburn today and we haven’t had any movement on this front. What’s happening here? We need some traction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The OLine problems are dire and it’s making me extremely nervous at this point. I was hoping to see some movement, even just one or two guys before the semester started.

These problems were  not created by this coaching staff but they got no choice but to fix them. If Harsin has to handle it personally then let him. I’m sure I’m overreacting but I’m sick and ****ing tired of going into the season with the same lackluster talent. The vast majority of OLineman in the portal can start for Auburn today and we haven’t had any movement on this front. What’s happening here? We need some traction. 

The line I hear is "The coaches know best, trust that they'll fix it in 1-3 years and then well start to hit 9 win seasons" I dont buy it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WarEagle2 said:

The line I hear is "The coaches know best, trust that they'll fix it in 1-3 years and then well start to hit 9 win seasons" I dont buy it.

I do think the coaches know what they are doing and I am optimistic we will see results soon. I’m just anxious to see results with this position group sooner rather than later because it’s the most important issue to fix. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I do think the coaches know what they are doing and I am optimistic we will see results soon. I’m just anxious to see results with this position group sooner rather than later because it’s the most important issue to fix. 

The staff bought themselves a little time with Trox and Brahms coming back. But Joiner HAS to be a trendsetter for next year's class. The argument that "no one would want to come fix this O-line" is absurd--then how does anyone get better ever?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If the current coaches don't fix the OL situation, they won't be the current coaches for long. I know that is stating the obvious but it has to be said and the coaches know this. 

• Love 1

I honestly thought about W Friend this morning and thought - gosh what a miserable off season he is gonna have knowing the entire offense is predicated on him or his unit making real, measurable improvements.   And while landing a couple of OTs in the next 4-6 months.  Lots of pressure and they all know it. 

5 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

If the current coaches don't fix the OL situation, they won't be the current coaches for long. I know that is stating the obvious but it has to be said and the coaches know this. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

what a miserable off season he is gonna have knowing the entire offense is predicated on him or his unit making real, measurable improvements.   And while landing a couple of OTs in the next 4-6 months.

Hopefully, for him, he gets the chance to stress about it that long. 

• Haha 1

Most people thought our O-line was better this year then last year. Friend and Pittman should get some credit for that.  Friend came in last year and held onto Langlo and pulled Colby Smith out of his nether regions. So he recruited a legit HS OT.  He pulled in Harris this year another legit OT so while not enough is an improvement over previous staff. We still have a shot at a couple of HS O-line and we are trying to get some Portal O-Line. In addition we kept Brahm's and Troxell which means we should be at least as good as this years O-line and if players have improved some maybe better. Especially if Smith is ready.

So far we have one 4* 2023 O-line and working on many more.  If we can pull in 2-3 portal O-line then we should be ok next year.  So basically the rubber hits the road with the 2023 class can we finally have a solid O-Line class with balance across OT and IOL. If we do Friend has done his job on the recruiting trail if not we have an issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Most people thought our O-line was better this year then last year. Friend and Pittman should get some credit for that.  Friend came in last year and held onto Langlo and pulled Colby Smith out of his nether regions. So he recruited a legit HS OT.  He pulled in Harris this year another legit OT so while not enough is an improvement over previous staff. We still have a shot at a couple of HS O-line and we are trying to get some Portal O-Line. In addition we kept Brahm's and Troxell which means we should be at least as good as this years O-line and if players have improved some maybe better. Especially if Smith is ready.

So far we have one 4* 2023 O-line and working on many more.  If we can pull in 2-3 portal O-line then we should be ok next year.  So basically the rubber hits the road with the 2023 class can we finally have a solid O-Line class with balance across OT and IOL. If we do Friend has done his job on the recruiting trail if not we have an issue.

The OL may have been better than the year before, we still struggled to run the ball between the tackles, and we don't really know how much our OL pass protection was only as good as Bo's scrambling ability. WE won't have that luxury with Calzada who will need better consistent protection.

Our OL, expecially Troxell and Brahms were rated avg to on the bottom of OL game analyses. 

Troxell and Brahms being 5th and now 6th year guys aren't going to get any stronger, but possible more injury prone. Brahms It is being reported is having I think some type of knee surgery, so he may not be ready till fall.

We need some OL from the portal to compete and maybe win a spot or too if they are more athletic and more powerful than some of our current OL are. 

I have no clue if any of the backups and current signees can break through. That's a big if for now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Yep. That’s why I get so anxious about it. I really like this current coaching staff and feel they could be building something. I don’t want one position group to ruin their chances and if one position group can sink them it is OLine because it completely renders the offense inefficient no matter how elite the playbook may be. For me it’s a matter of grabbing three good OLineman and possibly buying yourself extra seasons. The problem can be fixed but we are working from way behind by not  putting OLineman in the NFL regularly in recent years. That’s why I want Friend out and an NFL guy in. That’s help cushion that a bit. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, slyinsocal said:

That is a LONG ways from Lubbock, both literally and figuratively, but he may have HS friends there. 

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Friend came in last year and held onto Langlo

He signed before Harsin/Friend were even hired.

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Yep. That’s why I get so anxious about it. I really like this current coaching staff and feel they could be building something. I don’t want one position group to ruin their chances and if one position group can sink them it is OLine because it completely renders the offense inefficient no matter how elite the playbook may be. For me it’s a matter of grabbing three good OLineman and possibly buying yourself extra seasons. The problem can be fixed but we are working from way behind by not  putting OLineman in the NFL regularly in recent years. That’s why I want Friend out and an NFL guy in. That’s help cushion that a bit. 

I am indifferent to Friend. I did see some progress in pass pro this past season but it seemed to come at the cost of run blocking. Chizik's staff almost immediately started showing results in recruiting. I haven't seen that at the offensive line position. I have at other positions. I will give Harsin and his staff time. For one, I have no choice. Two, it is only fair. Nothing that lasts is built quickly. 

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He signed before Harsin/Friend were even hired.

Please read I said held onto

On 1/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, slyinsocal said:

Former resident of Cedar Park here, now living in the next suburb over.  That high school program there is the real deal.

• Like 1

My thought on why WF has been retained is that he actually coached up our Oline fairly well in pass pro.  Could be that the coaching staff expected pass pro to be much worse than it actually was and as such he has been retained? grasping at straws here.

Regardless, the current staff has so far shown an ability to attract defensive talent. They have so far not shown an ability to attract offensive talent. And if that continues, they won’t last long. Maybe Joiner represents a turning point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

That is a LONG ways from Lubbock, both literally and figuratively, but he may have HS friends there. 

Isn't everything a long ways from Lubbock???:poke:

• Haha 1

It is weird that over half of the O-lineman we are actively after and have been widely reported that we are, were not on this list.  not sure it is a coincidence.

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Please read I said held onto

Where was he going to go?  He's a middle of the road 3* kid that only had other options of Duke, App State, etc.  It's not like he was a Dylan Brooks type situation that would have dozens of P5 offers if he could get out of his NLI.  He signed knowing he had no coach, he was committed to the school

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Regardless, the current staff has so far shown an ability to attract defensive talent. They have so far not shown an ability to attract offensive talent. And if that continues, they won’t last long. Maybe Joiner represents a turning point.

They are doing alright on the offensive side of the ball outside OL, which is a glairing flashing red light

• Like 1