Depth

LPTiger

Our starting point had zero pts and zero assists.   Our starting center had 2 pts and 2 rebounds.   And, we still beat the defending SEC champs on the road.

• Like 6

Yeah, as I said in the game thread, it's kind of unfair how much talent is on this team right now. As much as I loved that 2019 Final Four team...that team pales in comparison. 

I still believe Stretch can be a specific matchup guy too. Definitely would've got beaten off the court today, but against super sized lineups, there's a place for him. I think Preston Cook can be a scorer, or at least a shooter. Those are at least two dudes that could definitely be rotation players elsewhere.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cardwell was SO SO SO freaking important last night!!! OMGSH!!! It could of looked very differently if he did not hold serve and still give us mostly what Kessler gives us which is rim protection. He was altering their shots in the paint left and right. Bari was too!!! Proud of Dylan. He could of jumped at several Power 5 offers he had before we missed on a few bigs down the stretch in recruiting a couple of years ago but he bleeds Orange and Blue and wanted to be a Auburn Tiger no matter what and was will to roll the dice and wait it out. He wears that Orange and Blue love on his sleeve every game!!! He is never going to be a guy who you throw it in to and let him go to work and ask to get you a bucket but he is very valuable at other things on the court. The perfect backup Center. WAR DAMN DYLAN CARDWELL!!!!

Now on to your nemesis, Kremit!  Let's exorcize that demon this week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:05 PM, GTNupe11 said:

Yeah, as I said in the game thread, it's kind of unfair how much talent is on this team right now. As much as I loved that 2019 Final Four team...that team pales in comparison. 

100% agreed

• Like 1

Yeah, Wendell, Dylan, Jaylin, and Flan/Cambridge (whichever doesn’t start), all coming off the bench is ridiculous!   I agree, this team is a lot more talented and deep than that 2019 team.   That team got hot at just the right time.  I am really hoping this team continues to grow and get better and doesn’t peak too early.   If this team has a hot streak like that one did, it will take a lot more than a UVA double dribble to stop them!!!

We are deep.

Against Alabama, on the road:

* We got into bad foul trouble at the start of both halves (mostly due to terrible officiating)

* We were without Walker Kessler (a top 5 defensive player in the SEC, if not the nation) for most of the game

* We shot a bad free throw percentage (Alabama made more free throws than we attempted).  Bama got all the calls, at home.

* We had a lot of turnovers

Yet we were up by 14 points late, and won.  When they come to the Jungle, they will be embarrassed.

Our team is built to go deep in March.  And into April.  And we will, I think.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 1

One piece of the depth is Kessler when we signed him I had certain expectations guard the paint block a couple of shots a game hit a few 3's limited offense. He has been so much more blocking a lot more than a couple a game altering tons of shots, solid rebounder,  pretty solid Post defense except Florida game as ref's took him out of the game. Brooke started out abusing Kessler down low but Kessler adjusted pushed him out a little further and Blocked some shots. He runs pick and roll really well and when given ball down low against Ole Miss showed some moves I loved when he got the ball down low on left block then drove base line for quick un and under layup on other side of rim and the drive from foul line where he avoided the charge also tries a little scoop at beginning of game that he just missed but actually was a good shot.

Kessler also does a good job of getting position down low and putting his hand up. So far our guards have not been very good and getting him the ball when he does that. If he can add that to his game assuming we get him the ball he will be gone next year along with Jabari but we will have had a chance to win it all.

AuburnNTexas, also about Kessler... CBP mentioned how good his hands are.  Remember Austin Wiley's hands-- bless his heart.  It seemed every game he would have a couple of point blank opportunities to score and the ball would explicably bounce off/come out of his hands or he would bring the ball down and get blocked on the way back up.   It was almost like it became a mental thing with Austin, like the yips.  Kess seems to catch everything.    

Our depth is obviously a hue asset of this team. Being able to run guys in off the bench who can contribute is a luxury. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see CBP start shrinking the rotation a bit (unless we have foul trouble). We've seen hints of it already, in the Ole Miss game only 7 guys got double digit minutes, and only 9 checked into the game. It is really a double edged sword, play 10-11 for depth purposes or play your top guys as much as you can. Interested to see how CBP manages it going forward. 

13 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Our depth is obviously a hue asset of this team. Being able to run guys in off the bench who can contribute is a luxury. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see CBP start shrinking the rotation a bit (unless we have foul trouble). We've seen hints of it already, in the Ole Miss game only 7 guys got double digit minutes, and only 9 checked into the game. It is really a double edged sword, play 10-11 for depth purposes or play your top guys as much as you can. Interested to see how CBP manages it going forward. 

Against Ole Miss we were rallying most of the game, so you have to shrink your rotation. He’s pretty consistent in giving 10 guys substantial minutes, but we probably won’t see much of Berman in March, assuming everyone stays healthy. Jaylin and Cambridge might struggle to see 10 minutes unless they’re making a lot of shots in any particular game. 

20 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

One piece of the depth is Kessler when we signed him I had certain expectations guard the paint block a couple of shots a game hit a few 3's limited offense. He has been so much more blocking a lot more than a couple a game altering tons of shots, solid rebounder,  pretty solid Post defense except Florida game as ref's took him out of the game. Brooke started out abusing Kessler down low but Kessler adjusted pushed him out a little further and Blocked some shots. He runs pick and roll really well and when given ball down low against Ole Miss showed some moves I loved when he got the ball down low on left block then drove base line for quick un and under layup on other side of rim and the drive from foul line where he avoided the charge also tries a little scoop at beginning of game that he just missed but actually was a good shot.

Kessler also does a good job of getting position down low and putting his hand up. So far our guards have not been very good and getting him the ball when he does that. If he can add that to his game assuming we get him the ball he will be gone next year along with Jabari but we will have had a chance to win it all.

If it's one thing I'd question about our last few offenses is the guards IQ as far as getting the ball down low. I think that's the only thing that held Harper back as far as the pro's. You have to have a passing IQ. You have to know how to create. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

If it's one thing I'd question about our last few offenses is the guards IQ as far as getting the ball down low. I think that's the only thing that held Harper back as far as the pro's. You have to have a passing IQ. You have to know how to create. 

I don't think it's the guards. I haven't seen that much tornover from Green and Zep. KD sometimes overdoes the passing inside when it isn't there.

But most of our TOs have been from guys like Franklin, Cambridge, and even Flanigan, who tries to make passes inside the paint, and they are good passers. They are doing more dribbling(especially Franklin, who is not a good dribber the closer he gets to the foul line, and pressure comes at him).

We are pretty stale offensively when Zep does the point. He has very little quickness to get past the opposing guards. And he has trouble getting open for jump shots. His D is so tough, but he seems to dribble to much trying to get that next pass in.

We get better with the quicker guards when Green and KD are driving, or dribble driving..

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't think it's the guards. I haven't seen that much tornover from Green and Zep. KD sometimes overdoes the passing inside when it isn't there.

But most of our TOs have been from guys like Franklin, Cambridge, and even Flanigan, who tries to make passes inside the paint, and they are good passers. They are doing more dribbling(especially Franklin, who is not a good dribber the closer he gets to the foul line, and pressure comes at him).

We are pretty stale offensively when Zep does the point. He has very little quickness to get past the opposing guards. And he has trouble getting open for jump shots. His D is so tough, but he seems to dribble to much trying to get that next pass in.

We get better with the quicker guards when Green and KD are driving, or dribble driving..

So if you look at the stats you will see that's not so as far as Williams, flannigan, and Cambridge. Green turns the ball over a bunch. The guards have to protect the ball better.

You don't really get upset at turnovers when attacking as much but turnovers just from advancing the ball and dumb passes can't be. 

Also their assist numbers are too low. We have too many shooters for our main ball handlers to end the game with 3 assists and 5 turnovers

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

So if you look at the stats you will see that's not so as far as Williams, flannigan, and Cambridge. Green turns the ball over a bunch. The guards have to protect the ball better.

You don't really get upset at turnovers when attacking as much but turnovers just from advancing the ball and dumb passes can't be. 

Also their assist numbers are too low. We have too many shooters for our main ball handlers to end the game with 3 assists and 5 turnovers

I love Kessler but he telegraphs his longer passes and doesn’t put enough mustard on them and they get stolen quite often. Mostly from up high passing to the paint. At least 1 or 2 per game anybody else notice this? Aside from that he has been awesome for our team. So glad he transferred in.

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

I love Kessler but he telegraphs his longer passes and doesn’t put enough mustard on them and they get stolen quite often. Mostly from up high passing to the paint. At least 1 or 2 per game anybody else notice this? Aside from that he has been awesome for our team. So glad he transferred in.

He did great this last game. The couple of games before this he was doing exactly as you stated though. The good thing it looks like it's only been those couple of games where it was excessive and maybe that came from everybody just learning their roles and spacing and stuff.

I'm with you I'm super happy he came. I remember I made posts super happy because I knew we needed him to anchor our defense and be that a Mac, Wiley guy we need. I knew he could shoot a bit too but all the points are like extras bonuses to me. Just can't help but to be ecstatic to have him. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, MaxCohen216 said:

Alabama made more free throws than we attempted

Ole Miss made every single free throw. Every. Single. One.

And we still won by 9 on the road.

I can’t ever recall a college team making every single free throw (with at least 15 attempted).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Ole Miss made every single free throw. Every. Single. One.

And we still won by 9 on the road.

I can’t ever recall a college team making every single free throw (with at least 15 attempted).

I think KY made 24/25 in dismantling Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think KY made 24/25 in dismantling Tennessee.

UK is ranked #1 in FT%. 

Ole Miss is ranked #8 (They were 2-3 spots lower prior to playing AU).

That’s the point I was making. AU is getting everyone’s best shot, even in free throws. And still losing. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Green turns the ball over a bunch.

This. I don't know if I just wasn't noticing it earlier in the season, or what exactly the deal is, but Wendell has been losing possession far too frequently for a point guard. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the reason Zep is starting at the point, even though Green seems to be the superior shooter and a better defender than advertised when he first transferred in (which probably has a lot to do with Pearl...God bless that man).

Of course, Zep being a near lights out defender in his own right doesn't diminish his worthiness to start, either, so there is that.

9 hours ago, Viper said:

AU is getting everyone’s best shot, even in free throws. And still losing. 

Auburn is getting everybody's best shot, yes. That is to be expected with the talent we have and the season we're having.

But no, despite getting everyone's best shot, we're not losing. That might be the most impressive thing about this team, in fact. :poke:

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

This. I don't know if I just wasn't noticing it earlier in the season, or what exactly the deal is, but Wendell has been losing possession far too frequently for a point guard. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the reason Zep is starting at the point, even though Green seems to be the superior shooter and a better defender than advertised when he first transferred in (which probably has a lot to do with Pearl...God bless that man).

Of course, Zep being a near lights out defender in his own right doesn't diminish his worthiness to start, either, so there is that.

You have to look at the whole picture on Greene.

In his last 2 games on the road, he has had only 1 TO total. Its even more interesting, he has in his 2 home games, 5 TOs a game. I am sure his first SEC game every against LSU caused him to play outside of his comfort zone.

And on D, i noticed guards try to post up to him, and he's getting burned their bc of his size.

Zep is great at keeping guards pushed out on the perimeter, but i also noticed he's pushing off a lot too, so he has to be careful on his aggressiveness, on offense and D.

But Wendell will be fine. He is the only guard that can use quickness and ball control to split those defending guards, get to the middle, dish, alley oop or get a layup. Zep can't do that... 

Edited by steeleagle

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Auburn is getting everybody's best shot, yes. That is to be expected with the talent we have and the season we're having.

But no, despite getting everyone's best shot, we're not losing. That might be the most impressive thing about this team, in fact. :poke:

The “losing” belongs to “everyone”