Say bye to Anders bookstore

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Fifty, this almost made me throw up. 

i would not attempt that now.lol

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Imo it's way past time for Auburn to update. You can change and still maintain yourself. You just have to be intelligent and have a plan. It's not smart to be stagnant.

If you like a bunch of big box franchise bull'*+* then you'll love the change that is happening but it probably won't be the 'loveliest village on the plains' anymore. The key is maintaining yourself and the charm and forcing unique architecture standards but I've personally thought and heard from others for a couple years now "yeah the downtown area has changed so much" and it's never w a positive tone to it. Fortunately graduate hotels are pretty good at adapting to the college towns targeted and aren't built as cheaply as possible.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

If you like a bunch of big box franchise bull'*+* then you'll love the change that is happening but it probably won't be the 'loveliest village on the plains' anymore. The key is maintaining yourself and the charm and forcing unique architecture standards but I've personally thought and heard from others for a couple years now "yeah the downtown area has changed so much" and it's never w a positive tone to it. Fortunately graduate hotels are pretty good at adapting to the college towns targeted and aren't built as cheaply as possible.

Such an influx of population causes unwanted change most of the time.

8 hours ago, selias said:

JMO, but Ander's was just a bookstore. I can't say I have any real attachment to it beyond buying some books for classes there.

Yeah, me too. Usually only went there if I couldn’t get mine at Haley. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Such an influx of population causes unwanted change most of the time.

No imo it just causes change. It may be unwanted by people who may have liked it decades ago but frankly those people don't have any idea the needs of the current generation. The old bookstore could have done stuff like come down on prices and stuff. But if the new stuff isn't wanted it won't make money and it won't be around. 

It can happen both ways but I'll usually change is for the better. Imo

Sorry to hear about Anders.  I bought books there when I was a student 1981-85.  Bought a lot of stuff at J&M too.

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No imo it just causes change. It may be unwanted by people who may have liked it decades ago but frankly those people don't have any idea the needs of the current generation. The old bookstore could have done stuff like come down on prices and stuff. But if the new stuff isn't wanted it won't make money and it won't be around. 

It can happen both ways but I'll usually change is for the better. Imo

Loveliest metropolis on the plain, is not everyone’s idea of lovely. It definitely not just associated by age either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Loveliest metropolis on the plain, is not everyone’s idea of lovely. It definitely not just associated by age either.

Key words is not just, which is true. But it is absolutely a variable. You can see that in this very thread. And also never said it was everybody 's and never said it was just age. 

Edited by cole256

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Imo it's way past time for Auburn to update. You can change and still maintain yourself. You just have to be intelligent and have a plan. It's not smart to be stagnant.

Yeah but the growth hasn’t been very coordinated. Maintaining itself it has not. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Yeah but the growth hasn’t been very coordinated. Maintaining itself it has not. 

That's what I was meaning as far as if the stuff not working, business will let everybody know. If the stuff is bad sooner or later they'll get up out of there

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Moot discussion I guess.

Lol yeah. But you wanted to speak your part so I felt the need to say mine as well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Auburn is turning pretty generic. Inevitable, I guess, but yeah. It’s sad.

Dear Toomer's, Byrons, Amsterdam and Acre: please don't close.

Opelika has done a vastly better job at managing its downtown over the years.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Not anything except the article. But Anders is not the old Anders you knew. Same name but the original was sold to some company several years ago that kept the name. I can tell you what remains of older places on West Magnolia will be gone before too long including the Lambda Chi House and maybe even McDonalds. The land is just very valuable.

Lambda Chi is sitting on a fortune.   

The first proposal at that site failed because their plan for parking was inadequate for that they were trying to build. Looks like this proposal fixed that part this time around. Mayor Anders owns the piece of property, and has excused himself from the process.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

a friend and i both pulled used gum stuck under the picnic tables and had so much in our mouths we could barely chew.

This is the type of stuff that starts pandemics

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, selias said:

JMO, but Ander's was just a bookstore. I can't say I have any real attachment to it beyond buying some books for classes there.

i forgot yesterday but i bought a great jersey there as well. i also have a pic i took a million years ago and on their sign they posted roll tide roll you're not going to a bowl. i still have that pic. anders always had snarky stuff. but i always hit j and m, anders, and i think the book  store closer to the stadium in a huge brick building for auburn gear. and look. some things that meant something to some of us did not mean squat to others.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

This is the type of stuff that starts pandemics

well we were barely out of diapers for the record. and my mom was horrified. i mean she freaked the hell out. we used to go get a footlong chili dog and we got bored. i survived and at 66 i think i am ok.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

book  store closer to the stadium in a huge brick building 

Haley Center 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubearcat said:

Haley Center 

yes! thank you.

• Like 1