Say bye to Anders bookstore

aubiefifty

Each time I have stepped on campus there is change; however, I am grateful for the transformation as AU continues to become a world class destination. 

Can you imagine some of the on-campus and off-campus death traps still being around? The education experience has advanced tremendously in the past decade-two with a focus on student experience. Back in the day, I remember one of my professors had to use a flashlight to read his notes in Parker Hall because it was such a dungeon. Also, one of my friends was burned because he backed up against a steam pipe while waiting for a class in the Coliseum. How times have changed!

I do admit so much has changed I had to utilize navigation on campus last year. Who would have ever thought!? Sightlines definitely have changed.

52 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I get the general sentiment but you guys act like Anders was some type of historical landmark … 🤷‍♂️

The Anders family sold the business years ago. Wouldn’t be heartburn here regardless. Quite frankly thought of the college textbook business as a “racket” in my day. Not to be construed as agreeing to what is happening downtown Auburn….parking decks, more rooms for rent, box stores. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I get the general sentiment but you guys act like Anders was some type of historical landmark … 🤷‍♂️

Any word on the old BBQ House lot? I know the buyers didnt pay that price to put a (small) parking lot there.

18 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I bought plenty of things at Anders. I’m trying to remember where it was before it’s current location? Do they plan to relocate or just close down altogether?

I haven't heard but I would guess it's gone. As I said earlier has been Anders in name only for some time. It was sold and the new owners kept the name.

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Yep. To me J&M is a landmark and Anders was just “meh”

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 7:51 AM, Prester John said:

Hey, just was a guest at the Oxford, MS Graduate Hotel.  Until last week I was not familiar with this brand.  All I can say is my experience was delightful.  While change is often difficult, I feel sure this is a plus for Auburn.  

I’ve stayed there a couple times. Last time they upgraded our room no charge and no other apparent reason other than just to do it. I’ve also stayed at the one Nashville. Not bad hotels, and a cool idea of letting hospitality students run it. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

22 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Kinda funny that I'm hearing of these plans. I went to a bball game few weeks ago, drove by Anders, and my first thought was "Man, what's going on there?Are they still open? They need a major re-do." Building and parking lot stuck out like a sore thumb.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:17 PM, AUwent said:

Dear Toomer's, Byrons, Amsterdam and Acre: please don't close.

Opelika has done a vastly better job at managing its downtown over the years.

Toomers will NEVER close.  It would take an act of God to destroy Toomers.  There will always be someone willing to take it over and continue the tradition.  The best thing that happened to Toomers was the Haistons taking it over and shifting it away from a full service pharmacy and more towards souvenirs, etc.  

I miss the Flush badly.  By the time I got to Auburn they had just shut their doors and moved to that small freestanding location and it just was not the same.  

Edited by AEAugirl

I ate at Amsterdam last year. Seems to still be doing a good business. 

23 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

Each time I have stepped on campus there is change; however, I am grateful for the transformation as AU continues to become a world class destination. 

Man, some new exciting additions coming this year and should be ready for fall semester: Downtown Publix, the new public Food hall (Hey Day market), new major academic building / Legacy plaza & new on-campus Starbucks, and downtown Whataburger is already open for business... + downtown Target will be under construction... and of course, the Football Performance Center.

- - - - 

Target

61bbe2b8a1415.image.png

Hey Day Market

heyday-01.jpg

Publix

613bc7cfbee8f.image.jpg?resize=1200,600

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Man, some new exciting additions coming this year and should be ready for fall semester: Downtown Publix, the new public Food hall (Hey Day market), new major academic building / Legacy plaza & new on-campus Starbucks, and downtown Whataburger is already open for business...

Auburn is definitely changing fast, not only the campus area but almost everywhere you look in Auburn and Opelika. Even a new industrial park is coming on highway 280 at the intersection of Veteran's Drive. Land is already cleared. 

Auburn Bank at the corner of Mag and Gay has been torn down and new one built on the site. Another hotel is planned across the street from First Methodist on East mag.

The ugliest part of downtown Auburn is now the stretch on North College near the railroad tracks.

The real problem now is traffic. Since most of the streets can't be widened it is already a problem.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Auburn is definitely changing fast, not only the campus area but almost everywhere you look in Auburn and Opelika. Even a new industrial park is coming on highway 280 at the intersection of Veteran's Drive. Land is already cleared. 

Auburn Bank at the corner of Mag and Gay has been torn down and new one built on the site. Another hotel is planned across the street from First Methodist on East mag.

The ugliest part of downtown Auburn is now the stretch on North College near the railroad tracks.

The real problem now is traffic. Since most of the streets can't be widened it is already a problem.

Been curious about 280 and Veterans. Who would have thought we would complain about traffic around here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Three times according to the old guard at Anders. Your visits meant quite a lot to them.

How sweet..... I think I got banned from there after three visits

On 1/16/2022 at 10:20 AM, RunInRed said:

I don't think it's as much about Anders as it just is the transformation of more and more of campus to looking like an Atlanta suburb. It has already happened, it's going to happen even more...it's just a little sad. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 1:11 PM, steeleagle said:

Does anyone have pictures of the preliminary building of the Graduate Hotel? 

This is what Graduate Auburn will look like:

https://bloximages-newyork1-vip-townnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/oanow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/7e/b7e3409e-73f6-11ec-be40-076beecc8527/61df56f6e845a.image.jpg?resize=1024%2C608

On 1/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, CR said:

Any word on the old BBQ House lot? I know the buyers didnt pay that price to put a (small) parking lot there.

They’re about to build market-rate apartments (5 stories) & a parking deck at the northeast corner of South College Street & East Samford Avenue. Pretty much (except for the house on the northwest corner of South Gay Street & East Samford Avenue), Newk’s on South Gay (a separate apartment building away from the main apartment building will be built there), Courtyard Apartments, & two homes along the north side of East Samford will be torn down.

Taziki’s, Mountain High Outfitters, BurgerFi, Beyond The Wok Chinese Restaurant, Alumni Hall, & CVS will stay where they’re at. They’re also planning to get ready to do work on the South College Streetscape Project between Miller Avenue/Roosevelt Drive & Garden Drive (at the arboretum), and redevelop the intersections of South College at Miller/Roosevelt, South College at Samford, & South Gay at East Samford soon.

• Thanks 1

I'm truly astounded that this topic is still going.

Ander's wasn't some historical landmark. Like the other shops in town, they sold overpriced textbooks to students while providing some snarky Auburn themed items for the weekenders coming in for a game.