it looks like auburn has a new president

aubiefifty

38 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

He actually has a great personality, according to my son-in-law, who knows him through his doctorate studies in the ChemE dept. Alex says he’s very personable, and highly capable. He is very happy with this hire.  Even though this is an Auburn dean we are hiring, he is not an Auburn graduate.  He is actually a big Notre Dame fan, according to Alex.  

ChemE and ND alum. Definitely no personality. JK all

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

One thing that’s an absolute fact is that the School of Engineering is at worst one of the two best ran programs on the campus. I don’t know how this reflects on the sports side at all, but nowhere else in state is in the same world in that field. 

Absolutely. When Dr Weatherby left it was downhill imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

We’ll at least if he is an Engineer, we know he didn’t get picked due to his personality.

We have great personalities, it's everybody else with the problem

• Haha 5

I don't see this as JABA. He looks qualified and the Engineering school is well run. Just please don't be an arrogant, micromanaging egomaniac. Also, wonder if this allows Burgess to stay involved with athletics. Seems like he's done well there. I liked how Gogue let the AD run itself and only stepped in when needed. Hopefully he's the same way

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

I don't see this as JABA. He looks qualified and the Engineering school is well run. Just please don't be an arrogant, micromanaging egomaniac. Also, wonder if this allows Burgess to stay involved with athletics. Seems like he's done well there. I liked how Gogue let the AD run itself and only stepped in when needed. Hopefully he's the same way

For a minute there I thought you meant Athletic Director by AD.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings on this. Met him several years ago and had lunch, struck me as more a manager than a visionary. While we do need effective management, I think US higher ed is about to go through some turmoil, and not only in athletics. This feels like the time for visionary leadership. 

9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Just curious. How do you know it doesn't smack of GOB insider?  I have nothing to sway me either way. 

The key is 2 fold. He has to bring in funding, maintain our research and development as a top school for many of our departments. And he has to manage a major department in our Athletics that is the core of our ability to compete on a high level in our conference and the college landscape.

He and whoever are his best supporters on the Board, are going to need to be on top of whoever they hire to replace AG, within the next year for sure...

His bona fides and firsthand accounts of his management of the CE and Engineering departments. He’s qualified to do this job outside Auburn. He doesn’t depend on Auburn for enrichment. But he has been extremely committed to his job.
Yes, he resembles David Housel in his official picture. For this, he has my sympathy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

This won't end well

Why? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

As long as Gogue is out soon, it’s a blessing. I can’t freaking stand Gogue.

Gogue has been an excellent president.  He has wanted to retire for years and was literally begged back into the role to clean up the mess left by Leath. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I'd like to know how close he is with Harbert and/or Rane. 

Likely not as close as he will be, given that both men are Trustees and very large donors.

Will he turn out to be good Spock or evil Spock? Well, if there's anything we know from our sci-fi training, even evil Spock is still an okay guy.

Spock_LLAP.jpeg

Spock_Mirror.jpeg

From my own experience, Dr. Roberts has done an outstanding job expanding the College of Engineering in reputation, funding, and resources. He is a good politician, smart, respected, student friendly, and loves Auburn.  To me, he mirrors Dr. Gogue in some ways. All qualities that is needed in a good President. 

I wish him the best in leading our beloved institution. 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

We have great personalities, it's everybody else with the problem

Engineering joke ... love it 😆 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AUlurker said:

As I understand it, he is a big sports fan.

Good. As long as he knows only to step in when needed. Saw a picture of him and Bruce. Hopefully he gives Harsin a reasonable amount of time and let's Burgess stay involved until he can pick his own director

47 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Engineering joke ... love it 😆 

I'm just glad some picked it up. I know soon the you would think it's everybody else guy is coming! 😂

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm just glad some picked it up. I know soon the you would think it's everybody else guy is coming! 😂

All the engineers got it !! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

All the engineers got it !! 😂

To be fair, I'm not an engineer but my dad was AE at Auburn from '78-81.

25 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So you are half an engineer.

Yep, the logic and understanding but not the pay grade lol

I've heard AE '91 was the penultimate, superlative, smartest, most socially-adjusted, refined, affluent, and most handsome class AU engineering ever graduated. That's just what I hear. Not that I know anybody in that calss. :poke:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Gogue has been an excellent president.  He has wanted to retire for years and was literally begged back into the role to clean up the mess left by Leath. 

Gouge was terrible. I was a student during his first term. He completely neglected the student body, and all the faculty hated him as well because he constantly made cuts to research funding. He was praised by alumni because he made campus look prettier. But that was the whole of his legacy… campus facelifts. 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AUx said:

I've heard AE '91 was the penultimate, superlative, smartest, most socially-adjusted, refined, affluent, and most handsome class AU engineering ever graduated. That's just what I hear. Not that I know anybody in that calss. :poke:

Nah. They may be second but can't spell "class."😀

• Haha 1