i cannot believe we have never been rated number one in the polls in basketball.

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

They had bird and he was a great shooter and it was way before the game was played that way. Jamison played the game as a pure play maker and he was excellent at rebounding as for a guard. He was the fastest player I had ever witnessed at that time. 

But yeah an NBA talent guard wouldn't have helped......argue about the dumbest s***

Also Marco was a very good shooting big man. Didn't extend to 3 point game but was great mid range.

Brewer would be a significant upgrade to Lewis monroe. Period

You’re so so touchy. That’s why I blocked your posts years ago. No one said Brewer wouldn’t have helped. I just said we were more than Brewer away from competing for a title. And we were. The gap between him and Monroe was wide, but not THAT wide.

And in terms of the Cuse game, Monroe hit four 3s. Jamie wouldn’t have out produced him in that game. PLUS, Jamie would’ve occupied Marquis’ spot in the middle of the 2-3 OR would’ve hurt our floor spacing. We made the crazy run to get back into that game by playing small with Bird, Monroe, and Watson playing around Quis with Davis in the dunker position. 

28 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Back in the day the basketball players used to play in pickup games. Before Cole was there I played in a few during the summer with Auburn players.  To be honest I just loved to play but did not belong on the floor with those guys. From what Cole said he belonged on the floor with them.

I had more fun playing against football players in pickup games. They could ball. CT and Marcus McNeill played on a rec team that won the title around 2002ish. Will Herring was a whiner on the basketball court though. 

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Back in the day the basketball players used to play in pickup games. Before Cole was there I played in a few during the summer with Auburn players.  To be honest I just loved to play but did not belong on the floor with those guys. From what Cole said he belonged on the floor with them.

Belonged? Nah. I see myself absolutely the athlete as those guys but my skill level wasn't I could've been a walk on and declined though.  

But the battles in the hot box over the summer and fall......I'll never forget them. Wish we had YouTube and stuff back then. 

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

You’re so so touchy. That’s why I blocked your posts years ago. No one said Brewer wouldn’t have helped. I just said we were more than Brewer away from competing for a title. And we were. The gap between him and Monroe was wide, but not THAT wide.

And in terms of the Cuse game, Monroe hit four 3s. Jamie wouldn’t have out produced him in that game. PLUS, Jamie would’ve occupied Marquis’ spot in the middle of the 2-3 OR would’ve hurt our floor spacing. We made the crazy run to get back into that game by playing small with Bird, Monroe, and Watson playing around Quis with Davis in the dunker position. 

Then why are you talking to me now? And I literally wasn't even talking to you in that " touchy" paragraph. But that's always been your problem. Make it about you.

And it's stupid to even try to say what would have happened in a certain game. How many points would he have gotten for others, how many rebounds and extra possessions? He was amuch better defender. Taller, longer, faster. 

That game pace was MADE for brewers game. But it's funny yeah go back look at stats and tell me. Nate wasn't too much better than me really. You couldn't pay Lew, nate, or Bird to say they were better than J. The gap between Monroe and Brewer was huge but I can't argue. I can just tell you from experience how it was. I guess you can look at stats and tell me different why on earth would you have your point play the middle of a 2-3? Make that make sense

You are arguing that guys are better than an actual guy that Larry bird loved and made sure was on his team......But ok

Edited by cole256

I was thinking 2

I read here there were at least 5 AP voters last week who didn't even have Auburn in their top 10.

So the writers who still hate Pearl, may be keeping us from that #1, until we at least beat KY, a very tough order.

I think 2 also...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I read here there were at least 5 AP voters last week who didn't even have Auburn in their top 10.

So the writers who still hate Pearl, may be keeping us from that #1, until we at least beat KY, a very tough order.

I think 2 also...

There are so many sports journalists that are butt hurt about Auburn and always will be.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I had more fun playing against football players in pickup games. They could ball. CT and Marcus McNeill played on a rec team that won the title around 2002ish. Will Herring was a whiner on the basketball court though. 

I played that team and we killed them. Courtney Taylor, (I'm assuming that's CT you are saying) was one of the most athletic football guys I had seen. Silas Daniels was very good. Cadillac was trash, Casinnous Moore was average, Ben obananu could shoot but wasn't a big deal to play. I feel like I'm missing some people but I'm in a hurry doing something else. 

One summer I also played on CY's team he was an assistant coach for the men 's team at the time. My guy John Lewis who walked on the team we are actually discussing hit a half court shot at the buzzer to win the whole thing the year before and I was on that team as well. 

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think 2 also...

Looks like we were right. Hopefully nobody will argue it

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Looks like we were right. Hopefully nobody will argue it

Whoever said this will be a nice chip on the shoulder to keep them hungry and focused... I like that. 

They're still going to have the bullseye on their backs but it doesn't matter if they stay angry. 

• Like 2

Belonged? Nah. I see myself absolutely the athlete as those guys but my skill level wasn't I could've been a walk on and declined though.  

But the battles in the hot box over the summer and fall......I'll never forget them. Wish we had YouTube and stuff back then. 

Lol can you throw a pigskin a quarter mile?

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Whoever said this will be a nice chip on the shoulder to keep them hungry and focused... I like that. 

They're still going to have the bullseye on their backs but it doesn't matter if they stay angry. 

Yeah. I don't really care about the ranking. I want them to feel like they are very good and they are hunted. And I just want a good seed and I want our chemistry to be where it needs to be when march comes around

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah. I don't really care about the ranking. I want them to feel like they are very good and they are hunted. And I just want a good seed and I want our chemistry to be where it needs to be when march comes around

Agreed. I do get the desire for us to be ranked #1, just so we can know what it feels like. But it provides no competitive advantage towards the real prize.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. I do get the desire for us to be ranked #1, just so we can know what it feels like. But it provides no competitive advantage towards the real prize.

Yes. When I know we're good. Like you just know it. I literally don't care about the regular season. Just be yourselves and get the mistakes out the way and around conference tournament....put your suits and ties on and get to work. They are a bunch of scrimmages to me.

But I don't want to rain on anybody's parade so I didn't even make a post. If we had lost I wouldn't care. I talked to Mark the other day and I told him it's important as far as him putting out a resume because our goal is the NBA but the real job interview is when that big dance start!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Like you just know it.

It was weird tuning in to the Ole Miss game when we were down 13 on the road and just being like, whatever, that's no big deal. I didn't know we were going to win, and I was excited as hell when we did win, but I knew that score didn't matter. Very nice feeling.

Exactly like you said. We know that the floor is high enough that there's nothing to stress about for awhile, except injury I guess?

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I got run off the court over the summer a few times by Marin Bota and Lincoln Glass.

Just checked the AP poll, and a part of me is pissed that we didn't get the #1 ranking, as I feel like we deserve it (especially considering that we have a better record than Gonzaga against a tougher schedule, not to mention a win over the one common opponent that they lost to), but the bigger part of me LOVES it. Gives Bruce one more thing to get the guys fired up about, if he so chooses.

The one that REALLY pisses me off, though, is the NET. Villanova, a 4 loss team, jumped us, and we're now sitting at number 5. How in the hell does that even happen?

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Just checked the AP poll, and a part of me is pissed that we didn't get the #1 ranking, as I feel like we deserve it (especially considering that we have a better record than Gonzaga against a tougher schedule, not to mention a win over the one common opponent that they lost to), but the bigger part of me LOVES it. Gives Bruce one more thing to get the guys fired up about, if he so chooses.

The one that REALLY pisses me off, though, is the NET. Villanova, a 4 loss team, jumped us, and we're now sitting at number 5. How in the hell does that even happen?

I think at least two of the voters are hopelessly biased, but I’d rather play Kentucky at #2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I believe our offensive statistics are pretty meh. Nova has also lost to 3 top 5 team I believe, so their losses probably don’t look “bad”. Idk, they’re a team that’s just a metric darling, and with Jay Wright’s offense, they usually are

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I believe our offensive statistics are pretty meh. Nova has also lost to 3 top 5 team I believe, so their losses probably don’t look “bad”. Idk, they’re a team that’s just a metric darling, and with Jay Wright’s offense, they usually are

Still, they've lost 4 games. I get that they have the toughest schedule in the country so far, but we aren't exactly playing powder puffs, and they jumped us immediately after we won two SEC road games.