i cannot believe we have never been rated number one in the polls in basketball.

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's good for you to feel. That 11 seed lost to the champions by 1. That 11 seed was a ten seed. That team was an athletic distributor away from being great. And you can't judge a team by a seed try looking at the actual personnel.

But ok 👌🏿

That game was also in their backyard in New York

• Like 1

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Or late 60's and early 70's

I was around in the sixties but I was age 1-10. Don’t remember a whole lot about AU b-ball. 😝 

• Like 1

With Purdue's crowning on Monday, Dec. 6, as the No. 1 men's basketball team in the AP poll for the first time ever, 60 Division I men's college basketball programs have been ranked No. 1 in the AP poll's history. The AP poll having started in the sport in the 1948-49 season. Put in another context, if you tried to fill out a 68-team NCAA tournament bracket with only schools that have been ranked No. 1 in the country at some point, ever, you'd still be eight schools short.

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

That game was also in their backyard in New York

I was one of like 25 Auburn students at that game! It was at the end of spring break. My roommate and I had driven to NYC to hang out with some friends up there. When we best Wake, we decided to drive up to Albany. This whole “Auburn fans travel for basketball”? That wasn’t a thing then.

Instead of 25% for each team. It was like 25% OU, 20% Butler, 5% Auburn, and 50% Syracuse.

That was a good team. It was more than Jamie away, but I get the sentiment. They were right at the tipping point of finding something. Jamie wasn’t a good enough shooter. Playing him with Kyle Davis and Marco Killingsworth would’ve killed the space Marquis needed to operate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's good for you to feel. That 11 seed lost to the champions by 1. That 11 seed was a ten seed. That team was an athletic distributor away from being great. And you can't judge a team by a seed try looking at the actual personnel.

But ok 👌🏿

Maybe we look beyond 1 game where we almost beat Syracuse. Rutgers beat Syracuse that year. Does that mean if they had Brewer they’re cutting down the nets? 

19 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Maybe we look beyond 1 game where we almost beat Syracuse. Rutgers beat Syracuse that year. Does that mean if they had Brewer they’re cutting down the nets? 

We going to look over the SEC run and the two games before Syracuse too? Cool. Let's go with you, they were an 11 seed so they couldn't possibly be good

They had bird and he was a great shooter and it was way before the game was played that way. Jamison played the game as a pure play maker and he was excellent at rebounding as for a guard. He was the fastest player I had ever witnessed at that time. 

But yeah an NBA talent guard wouldn't have helped......argue about the dumbest s***

Also Marco was a very good shooting big man. Didn't extend to 3 point game but was great mid range.

Brewer would be a significant upgrade to Lewis monroe. Period

Edited by cole256

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We going to look over the SEC run and the two games before Syracuse too? Cool. Let's go with you, they were an 11 seed so they couldn't possibly be good

What SEC run? They went 1-1 in the SEC tourney and limped to the end of the regular season, losing 8 of their last 12 conference games. They got hot at the right time. It hardly qualifies as on the precipice of a title run. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They had bird and he was a great shooter and it was way before the game was played that way. Jamison played the game as a pure play maker and he was excellent at rebounding as for a guard. He was the fastest player I had ever witnessed at that time. 

But yeah an NBA talent guard wouldn't have helped......argue about the dumbest s***

Also Marco was a very good shooting big man. Didn't extend to 3 point game but was great mid range.

Dude why are you so angry?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

What SEC run? They went 1-1 in the SEC tourney and limped to the end of the regular season, losing 8 of their last 12 conference games. They got hot at the right time. It hardly qualifies as on the precipice of a title run. 

That's literally the whole point of the NCAA tournament. Get hot at the right time. How often is the final 4 is all 1 seeds? Never? It's literally getting hot and match ups. 

Kansas was a 6 seed. That's who played in the championship game. Kansas would have been a bad match up. Oklahoma wouldn't. Like I said we were play maker distributor away. Somebody that could create shots and Monroe was literally the only pg. You have brewer starting and you have Monroe coming off the bench you have a very big upgrade. 

I'm not looking up stats trying to argue. I played these guys I know what I'm talking about

Edited by cole256

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's literally the whole point of the NCAA tournament. Get hot at the right time. How often is the final 4 is all 1 seeds? Never? It's literally getting hot and match ups. 

Kansas was a 6 seed. That's who played in the championship game. Kansas would have been a bad match up. Oklahoma wouldn't. Like I said we were play maker distributor away. Somebody that could create shots and Monroe was literally the only pg. You have brewer starting and you have Monroe coming off the bench you have a very big upgrade. 

I'm not looking up stats trying to argue. I played these guys I know what I'm talking about

You played these guys in what way?

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

AP came out and we are only number 4.  

image.thumb.png.ca71537ec6d4f50099df01ad3f66691b.png

The updated ranking doesn't drop til noon. Not sure why this one is posted as a 1/17 update but it's not. That's the same ranking as before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Remind me what happened with Brewer? I remember feeling a little guilty that I didn't follow the 02-03 team more closely in hindsight, once they made that run in the tournament. But I think they really weren't very good in the regular season and it was harder to follow closely back then with a bunch of games not televised. 

It is weird how quickly the program dropped off the map after that sweet 16 but I assume it had to do with the AAU recruiting circuit issues. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The updated ranking doesn't drop til noon. Not sure why this one is posted as a 1/17 update but it's not. That's the same ranking as before.

Thank you I looked at the date and assumed it was correct. I was not a happy camper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thank you I looked at the date and assumed it was correct. I was not a happy camper.

Yeah, I had to do a little digging to confirm. I'm sure they have received some strongly worded tweets about it already, lol. 

18 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Remind me what happened with Brewer? I remember feeling a little guilty that I didn't follow the 02-03 team more closely in hindsight, once they made that run in the tournament. But I think they really weren't very good in the regular season and it was harder to follow closely back then with a bunch of games not televised. 

It is weird how quickly the program dropped off the map after that sweet 16 but I assume it had to do with the AAU recruiting circuit issues. 

He just wasn't the most focused type of guy as far as school. I just remember him killing doc Robinson in pick ups and at the time doc was viewed like the best guard ever. I could be wrong but I think I remember brewer getting or almost getting a triple double. He didn't shoot and you still couldn't stay in front of him. Highlight every single time he touched the ball. 

But most of all what I know is he was a play maker that made EVERYBODY better. Marquis better shots and somebody who could actually handle the ball.

He would have been amazing in a Bruce Pearl offense paired with a Harper, Smith, okeke

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

You said you played these guys. What does that mean? You were on that team? 

No I wasn't on the team

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would have a hard time believing Baylor was number 1 too. Didn’t they lose their last two games? They are messing with us🤣

4 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

You said you played these guys. What does that mean? You were on that team? 

Back in the day the basketball players used to play in pickup games. Before Cole was there I played in a few during the summer with Auburn players.  To be honest I just loved to play but did not belong on the floor with those guys. From what Cole said he belonged on the floor with them.