Men vs Ole Miss Game thread

Maverick.AU

This team continues to impress me with the way we find to win. We are a tough defensive team that stunk it up in the 1st half. We settled for threes by lazy passing on the edges or to much dribbling without a purpose. Because of that Ole Miss had open threes and also took it to the paint. We like to blame the refs but it was the Auburn offense and being out of position on defense that led to us getting fouls and Ole Miss not getting any till last minute of the 1st half.

Only thing that kept it close were Kessler Dunks and KD at end of half. Then we took it to another level on defense in second half. Kessler commanding the paint key 3's from Wendel, KD, and Jasper and finally Jabari coming out of his off -night with a key 3 and an inside 2. We slowly figured out the zone in the second half and because of that we got inside scores and open 3's.  Winning when be down by 14 on the road in the SEC is big.

In the bama game I saw the Jabari Smith who could take over a game we saw the complete Jabari blocking shots, playing tough D on the outside, hitting shots over people, handling the ball well. Last night we were reminded he is a young super talented player got excited over dribbled a couple of times and threw some really bad passes when he got excited but then he showed his talent by draining a three and scoring a 2 inside with his left hand where he was well defended.  I can't wait till the bama Jabari is the every night Jabari when that happens we will be really good.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

And Bama losing makes it that much sweeter!!! 

For me, bittersweet.

Moo State only one game behind us in the SEC rankings, bitter.

Alabama lost, sweet.

Although I hate Bama, I was hoping they would beat Moo State and give them two SEC losses.

11 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Anyone else notice the flashing lights reflecting off the floor every time we shot free throws. It happened several times when not shooting free throws but on offense. Never happened to OM that I saw. 

Yes. I thought same thing. Very distracting and probably illegal regarding home stadium rules.  That looked like it bothered us at the line a couple of times.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Yes. I thought same thing. Very distracting and probably illegal regarding home stadium rules.  That looked like it bothered us at the line a couple of times.

Agree it looked distracting and it sure would have bothered me. Auburn was 14 of 16 from the line so I think the team handled it just fine

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree it looked distracting and it sure would have bothered me. Auburn was 14 of 16 from the line so I think the team handled it just fine

I could only assume that maybe the angle of the TV camera made it distracting for us but not for the players since it was likely out of view from straight on.  

• Like 1

I’m thinking UNC looking at Kessler’s play and wondering how they let that one get away!!   Gotta hurt!

Edited by BJCrawford
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I can't believe the amount of Auburn fans at the game last night. If you took out the student section, it was really close to 50/50. 

Auburn contingent sounded loud on the TV. Love the way fans are supporting the team, even on the road…

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

I can't believe the amount of Auburn fans at the game last night. If you took out the student section, it was really close to 50/50. 

You could hear the "AU" loud and clear on FTs.

• Like 1

I know the 🦚 is representing the Twitter deal but where does the peacock come in? Haven't quite connected the dots yet on that one? 

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I know the 🦚 is representing the Twitter deal but where does the peacock come in? Haven't quite connected the dots yet on that one? 

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2022/1/11/22877189/peacock-auburn-basketball

It's a great read for anyone who hasn't read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

I've actually read that article and it's a good read, but still don't understand how a peacock is involved lol.  He just says Peacock but doesn't explain it.  Is there a saying regarding a peacock that I'm forgetting?    Sorry to be a nuisance about it. Sometimes things just go over your head and clearly this is one of them to me lol.

There are a couple of urban dictionary references that are a bit apalling but i can sort of take it as being proud of who you are type of thing.  Maybe that's it. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I've actually read that article and it's a good read, but still don't understand how a peacock is involved lol.  He just says Peacock but doesn't explain it.  Is there a saying regarding a peacock that I'm forgetting?    Sorry to be a nuisance about it. Sometimes things just go over your head and clearly this is one of them to me lol.

There are a couple of urban dictionary references that are a bit apalling but i can sort of take it as being proud of who you are type of thing.  Maybe that's it. 

In sports you're taught humility all your life. Same for fans. As a fan and a player you learn to 'never count your chickens before they hatch'. The peacock doesn't know this. It struts as vividly and confidently as any animal on the planet.  To us it means to flip the script. Act outwardly like you believe you're the best. Strut your stuff free of constraint. Peacocking is not letting the dogma of sportsmanship to become the reservation in our/their hearts that it might not be true. 

Edited by jAUSon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

In sports you're taught humility all your life. Same for fans. As a fan and a player you learn to 'never count your chickens before they hatch'. The peacock doesn't know this. It struts as vividly and confidently as any animal on the planet.  To us it means to flip the script. Act outwardly like you believe you're the best. Strut your stuff free of constraint. Peacocking is not letting the dogma of sportsmanship to become the reservation in our/their hearts that it might not be true. 

OK that makes sense.  Thanks 😁

THE MOOCH has been watching and paying attention to his former School!!! WAR DAMN MOOCHIE NORRIS!!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

THE MOOCH has been watching and paying attention to his former School!!! WAR DAMN MOOCHIE NORRIS!!! 

I remember Moochie well!  Free throws had a chant ... Moooo Chieeee! Lol

• Love 1

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This team continues to impress me with the way we find to win. We are a tough defensive team that stunk it up in the 1st half. We settled for threes by lazy passing on the edges or to much dribbling without a purpose. Because of that Ole Miss had open threes and also took it to the paint. We like to blame the refs but it was the Auburn offense and being out of position on defense that led to us getting fouls and Ole Miss not getting any till last minute of the 1st half.

Only thing that kept it close were Kessler Dunks and KD at end of half. Then we took it to another level on defense in second half. Kessler commanding the paint key 3's from Wendel, KD, and Jasper and finally Jabari coming out of his off -night with a key 3 and an inside 2. We slowly figured out the zone in the second half and because of that we got inside scores and open 3's.  Winning when be down by 14 on the road in the SEC is big.

In the bama game I saw the Jabari Smith who could take over a game we saw the complete Jabari blocking shots, playing tough D on the outside, hitting shots over people, handling the ball well. Last night we were reminded he is a young super talented player got excited over dribbled a couple of times and threw some really bad passes when he got excited but then he showed his talent by draining a three and scoring a 2 inside with his left hand where he was well defended.  I can't wait till the bama Jabari is the every night Jabari when that happens we will be really good.

We didnt “settle” for 3’s in the first half.  We took the shot we were given.  We had plenty of open 3’s in the first half we just werent hitting them.   We were 3 of 12 from 3 in the first half and 5 for 13 in 2nd half.     We were 16 of 30 from the floor in the first half and 13 of 28 in the 2nd half.    We took one more 3 point shot in 2nd half than in first half.

18 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

We didnt “settle” for 3’s in the first half.  We took the shot we were given.  We had plenty of open 3’s in the first half we just werent hitting them.   We were 3 of 12 from 3 in the first half and 5 for 13 in 2nd half.     We were 16 of 30 from the floor in the first half and 13 of 28 in the 2nd half.    We took one more 3 point shot in 2nd half than in first half.

Since you verified your information I stand corrected maybe I had the impression because we missed so many.  I do stand by that our Defense sucked in the 1st half. I re-watched the highlights and we were out of position way to often not do to lack of effort but not staying home. Bruce and the assistant coaches remedied it in the second half and the players really played great on D in the second half.

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since you verified your information I stand corrected maybe I had the impression because we missed so many.  I do stand by that our Defense sucked in the 1st half. I re-watched the highlights and we were out of position way to often not do to lack of effort but not staying home. Bruce and the assistant coaches remedied it in the second half and the players really played great on D in the second half.

We almost seem to be better on D when we limit helping as much as possible. Switch everything and lock your man down. It’s amazing to have 11 guys that can do this and do it really efficiently. 

• Like 1