Oline recruiting philosophy...

Cardin Drake

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The recent numbers could have been better, but 10 O-linemen in Gus's final three classes doesn't fall into the failure range, IMHO. Listening to some posters here, we haven't signed an O-lineman since Pat Dye roamed the sidelines.

My main concern is that there is no evidence that an effort has been made by the new staff to hold the numbers up. Sign only one or two a year and yes, there soon won't be enough warm bodies.

so it's 2023 for  a boatload of OL, and more than likely with another change at OL coach coming soon or after the 2022 season or after spring this year. 

The logistics are just not working out on this  position group. 

Edited by steeleagle

Just now, steeleagle said:

so it's 2023 for  a boatload of OL, and more than likely with another change at OL coach coming soon or after the 2022 season or after spring this year. 

The logistics are just not working out on this  position group. 

Is it the position coach or is it NIL? I’m betting as the control gates have been taken down this year money being offered will be lower next cycle. 

27 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Is it the position coach or is it NIL? I’m betting as the control gates have been taken down this year money being offered will be lower next cycle. 

According to a mod's post here, the Woody kid from Lafayette asked AU for $1 million to flip from FSU to Auburn. Apparently we told him to pound sand and I'm good with that.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Agreed. We're going to have a lot of growing pains and a lot of money is going to be spent unwisely and then there will be a market correction.

As with our new coach, I think there are a lot of kneejerk reactions and long term projections based on anecdotal evidence.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. We're going to have a lot of growing pains and a lot of money is going to be spent unwisely and then there will be a market correction.

As with our new coach, I think there are a lot of kneejerk reactions and long term projections based on anecdotal evidence.

Agree completely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I know very little about Friend. 

Are Auburn supporters not willing to pay NIL in tandem with other big time programs, especially on an area of great need like offensive line? 

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Are Auburn supporters not willing to pay NIL in tandem with other big time programs, especially on an area of great need like offensive line? 

Seems to be some impediment from the Alabama law that puts us at a disadvantage to other states.

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Seems to be some impediment from the Alabama law that puts us at a disadvantage to other states.

I hadn't heard that.  I'd be interested to know what specific impediments this State has compared to Georgia/Florida/Louisiana/Texas, etc. 

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Seems like that might be all we need to know. 

Personally, I feel like I've seen almost every coach in at least one or two recruiting photos except him and Watts. Tweeting, retweeting each other, etc. That's very telling to me. Maybe it shouldn't be, and what's telling to me doesn't matter at all. But we're all working on our problems together here, right?

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I hadn't heard that.  I'd be interested to know what specific impediments this State has compared to Georgia/Florida/Louisiana/Texas, etc. 

There's a thread about it in the main forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

supposedly Legislature is trying to get it worked out but won’t help this cycle. Don’t know what the issues are.

• Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

idk, feel like this has to be some spin b/c we're losing players.  Getting Tank an NIL deal was supposed to be the main reason we were able to keep him.

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

idk, feel like this has to be some spin b/c we're losing players.  Getting Tank an NIL deal was supposed to be the main reason we were able to keep him.

The NIL restrictions accoording to the NIL AU group was relating to trying to get the big dogs better deals, since other states didn't put the restrictions some states did like AU. This includes states like Ole MIss, OK, etc....

We are losing most players bc of a variety of reasons, mostly just a continued changeover in coaches, and more of the players that continued to be a part of the Gus recruiting line. Some left immediately, some gave Harsin this year to give them want they expected, and when it didn't happen, or in their exit interviews, they diidn't like what they were hearing, and they are now leaving too. 

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The NIL restrictions accoording to the NIL AU group was relating to trying to get the big dogs better deals, since other states didn't put the restrictions some states did like AU. This includes states like Ole MIss, OK, etc....

We are losing most players bc of a variety of reasons, mostly just a continued changeover in coaches, and more of the players that continued to be a part of the Gus recruiting line. Some left immediately, some gave Harsin this year to give them want they expected, and when it didn't happen, or in their exit interviews, they diidn't like what they were hearing, and they are now leaving too. 

Your second paragraphs are the real reason we are losing players. 

Same ppl saying we can't compete due to NIL restrictions are the same ppl claiming we helped tank get a massive deal so he wouldn't leave and we put together a huge package on par with anyone else to land Caleb Williams. 

It doesn't jive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Well, we know that law dang sure didn't impede one program in this State.  Why is it an obstacle for program and not the other?

OR why wasn't it an impediment for the Tank & Caleb Williams deals?

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Well, we know that law dang sure didn't impede one program in this State.  Why is it an obstacle for program and not the other?

I'd guess it probably isn't the best written law and it needs tweeking, so that's true. But being the sole obstacle is a stretch, IMO

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

I'd guess it probably isn't the best written law and it needs tweeking, so that's true. But being the sole obstacle is a stretch, IMO

Agreed, especially when Tank got what he wanted and if rumors are true Caleb Williams AU deal was just as lucrative for him as any other program was offering. 

On 1/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, CameronCrazy said:

I’m a manufacturing Engineer (no sales experience) and even I could sell highly rated OL prospects to sign w/ Auburn. “Come to Auburn and you can start as a Freshman!” Yet, here we are on January 16th with ONE 3* OL commit.  

Everybody in the world knows it’s our worst position group. Everybody in the world knows it’s been criminally under-recruited the past 5+ years.

And yet we have ONE 3* OL commit with no serious prospects on the horizon. Absolutely BLOWS my mind. New staff, new OL coach, same problem. 

It should literally be Harsin’s #1 priority. You can’t run ANY offense with a terrible OL.

And you think Harsin doesn’t know this or do you think he just doesn’t care?

Besides Woody and Anez Cooper, are there any other HS OL that Auburn is interested in?

34 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

OR why wasn't it an impediment for the Tank & Caleb Williams deals?

Yes it did. Saban even admitted it. He wants it changed too, but bc he wants every advantage he can get. BUT his advantage was he already built his program to compete for NCs, and we are in a total changeover.

We don't have the resources and REC guys, and we don't do it the same way Alabama's Does it (whether it involves under the table advantages, I dont' care). 

We also need any advantage through NIL in our state so we can compete with OTHER states, that have less restrictions. 

My understanding in the Tank deal was he was being courted by Bo as a package deal, and Oregon offered a bunch of stuff, with no commitment or signable offers. Tank talked to Harsin who got the AU NIL group to talk to him, and came up with a committable NIL deal, which is all Tank really wanted. It wasn't any of the big deals. 

Those are reserved for the CWs and the Evers QBs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes it did. Saban even admitted it. He wants it changed too, but bc he wants every advantage he can get. BUT his advantage was he already built his program to compete for NCs, and we are in a total changeover.

We don't have the resources and REC guys, and we don't do it the same way Alabama's Does it (whether it involves under the table advantages, I dont' care). 

We also need any advantage through NIL in our state so we can compete with OTHER states, that have less restrictions. 

My understanding in the Tank deal was he was being courted by Bo as a package deal, and Oregon offered a bunch of stuff, with no commitment or signable offers. Tank talked to Harsin who got the AU NIL group to talk to him, and came up with a committable NIL deal, which is all Tank really wanted. It wasn't any of the big deals. 

Those are reserved for the CWs and the Evers QBs. 

p.s and more than likely our staff didn't think a CW was worth 2 mil. Although we did have a group outside of NIL who was promoting a deal for CW, but it wasn't 2 mil. Probably about a million.

• Like 1

My issue is obviously that I don't understand the current law, or amended the version.  I'm curious to know if the current law has affected Bruce & his recruiting?  

2 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

My issue is obviously that I don't understand the current law, or amended the version.  I'm curious to know if the current law has affected Bruce & his recruiting?  

basically the worst part of the Alabama law is that he restricted the big money corporations that have direct ties to Auburn, either on the board, or some capacity in the AU administration. Those donations were banned.

Auburn thought Congress or NCAA would do this too, but they just let the states do what they wanted. Some states put little to know restrictions on NIL money that was available.

As to basketball, it's a smaller issue bc you don't have a large number of players to deal with in relation to NIL. 

I think for example that Jabari already has a nice deal that gets him NIL money. The AU NIL will add to that, but also we help other basketball players on the team that could benefit from their NIL. Kessler, KD, definitely Wendell.

4 hours ago, provibe said:

And you think Harsin doesn’t know this or do you think he just doesn’t care?

Frankly - I don’t think Harsin understands what it takes to recruit against the big boys. While I respect and agree with what Harsin says about culture and accountability, recruiting is the life blood of college football. And he’s given us no reason to have hope that anything is going to change, especially on the OL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Frankly - I don’t think Harsin understands what it takes to recruit against the big boys. While I respect and agree with what Harsin says about culture and accountability, recruiting is the life blood of college football. And he’s given us no reason to have hope that anything is going to change, especially on the OL.

I just wonder what makes you an expert on this, but like they say-everyone has an opinion