Auburn ranked #2 in AP poll

Maverick.AU

Not surprised at the result considering Gonzaga's history and the perception they've earned. It shouldn't matter, but I guarantee you some of them remember Gonzaga beating Auburn by 23 a year ago. I know. I know. The surprising parts are (1) having 11 more 1st place votes, (2) 4 voters didn't have AU in the Top 3, and 2 of them out of the top 5? Aside from Pat Forde, there's a very real, negative bias, or lack of respect towards Auburn, Bruce Pearl, or both. You know what? Use that as fuel to annihilate everyone on the schedule. Win the conference. Get a #1 seed.

Edited by slyinsocal

The top spot in the AP poll would be nice, historic, and a great achievement. That said, no reason to think it is out of reach for the rest of the season. Huge opportunity to make a statement this week. 

That being said, I worry more about seeding and bracketology/matchups as the tourney approaches. 

24 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

The Zags will not lose another game until the tournament.  There is no competition in the WCC.

We, on the other hand, are bound to slip up at least once or twice in the next 13 games because the SEC is just that strong.  

We deserve #1.  We didn't get it.  But in the words of CBP, "It's not how you start.  It's how you finish." 

As long as we win our last game, we will be National Champions.  😁

That's the Zags season every year. Once in a blue moon, there is another decent team in their league.

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The top spot in the AP poll would be nice, historic, and a great achievement. That said, no reason to think it is out of reach for the rest of the season. Huge opportunity to make a statement this week. 

That being said, I worry more about seeding and bracketology/matchups as the tourney approaches. 

I only care about the #1 because it would have been the first time. After we get it, I don't care if we lose it because I know we'll drop at least 1 more game in conference. Just a historic moment that this team has never had.

• Like 3

Polls don’t matter at this point but this really pisses me off. We have the #1 team in America and deserve that ranking. It is also very important from a historical perspective and an exclamation point for Bruce on the amazing job he has done here. A couple of these bozos need to answer for this. 

• Like 3

Not really surprised we are #2. Gonzaga was expected to be a top team and polls love to prove how right they were to start a season. Assumed top teams get preference over surprise teams in other words. 

Also while we have the better strength of schedule you can argue that Gonzaga has better top wins than we do. 

Based on having more first place votes I think we could jump them if we can win both games this week. A Kentucky win in the road will carry some weight I think. 

#1 vs #2 at this point only matters for the historic moment it would have been for the program. That said, his reasons for his rankings are crap. For instance:

1. Head-to-head doesnt matter? Of course it doesnt matter when you have an Oklahoma St vs Baylor situation. No one thinks a barely .500 Okie St should be ranked ahead of 3 loss Baylor. However, we arent talking about a major win/loss gap. We have a common opponent and the games went opposite directions. 

2. He boasted about his rankings of Michigan and one other bearing out by the end of the season. That's great and all, but these aren't end of season rankings. These change weekly as does the performance of teams. I notice he doesnt mention the instances he was wildly off. 

3. He says his rankings using 5 different systems takes in to account every single possession. Fantastic. A possession against a really good LSU shouldnt be weighed equally as a possession against a mediocre BYU. It doesnt make sense. 

All in all it sounds like someone trying to justify screwing certain teams while propping others (tradition powers) up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

#1 vs #2 at this point only matters for the historic moment it would have been for the program. That said, his reasons for his rankings are crap. For instance:

1. Head-to-head doesnt matter? Of course it doesnt matter when you have an Oklahoma St vs Baylor situation. No one thinks a barely .500 Okie St should be ranked ahead of 3 loss Baylor. However, we arent talking about a major win/loss gap. We have a common opponent and the games went opposite directions. 

2. He boasted about his rankings of Michigan and one other bearing out by the end of the season. That's great and all, but these aren't end of season rankings. These change weekly as does the performance of teams. I notice he doesnt mention the instances he was wildly off. 

3. He says his rankings using 5 different systems takes in to account every single possession. Fantastic. A possession against a really good LSU shouldnt be weighed equally as a possession against a mediocre BYU. It doesnt make sense. 

All in all it sounds like someone trying to justify screwing certain teams while propping others (tradition powers) up. 

His defense just further proves his stupidity. Even his own colleagues are blasting him on twitter. Not being #1 will be motivation, might be good for the UK game especially, but this guy should no longer be allowed to vote. His vote and reasoning afterwards just further proves it.

• Like 5

Just now, boisnumber1 said:

His defense just further proves his stupidity. Even his own colleagues are blasting him on twitter. Not being #1 will be motivation, might be good for the UK game especially, but this guy should no longer be allowed to vote. His vote and reasoning afterwards just further proves it.

As they should be. I havent seen anyone demand we be ranked #1 by everybody. As a matter of fact, I think someone could make a halfway decent argument to not have us at #1. But #9 doesnt make sense outside of biases. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

As they should be. I havent seen anyone demand we be ranked #1 by everybody. As a matter of fact, I think someone could make a halfway decent argument to not have us at #1. But #9 doesnt make sense outside of biases. 

Especially when you look at his ballot. It's nonsensical.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

A Kentucky win in the road will carry some weight I think. 

This is a home game for us. 

This should keep us focused this week.  Don't get beat by Georgia (that would be a bad loss)  and have to go through UK to get it in what could be a final 4 game down the road. 

22 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wow....

Not 100% sure, but the coaches poll includes with it, the high and low ranking for the season, not an individual voter rank. So the coaches poll shows our low as 22, which is correct from early in the season..so that might be what he is talking about? At least I hope Noone is that dumb to rank us that low.

24 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wow....

That's not correct.   I looked up the USA/Coaches Poll:

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.56.43 PM.png

There's clearly 8 #1 votes and the 22 he's refering to is the low point ranking for the season.     I checked last week's poll and it had 4/22 by Auburn since we had gone up the #4 that week.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

Not 100% sure, but the coaches poll includes with it, the high and low ranking for the season, not an individual voter rank. So the coaches poll shows our low as 22, which is correct from early in the season..so that might be what he is talking about? At least I hope Noone is that dumb to rank us that low.

3 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

That's not correct.   I looked up the USA/Coaches Poll:

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.56.43 PM.png

There's clearly 8 #1 votes and the 22 he's refering to is the low point ranking for the season.     I checked last week's poll and it had 4/22 by Auburn since we had gone up the #4 that week.   

Looks like he deleted the tweet lol. I honestly didn't click on the link. 😂