Auburn ranked #2 in AP poll

Maverick.AU

I'm sure most of them don't care... I'm with Bruce we have to get better. Our guards needs to improve distributing the ball, handling it and making it easier for each other. 

Guard play has to improve to be able to do what we want to do at the end of the year. I think we have all the pieces to do so. 

• Like 5

So for the FIRST time in the history of the program we are ranked at #2 and y'all are mad? 🙄  The rankings in January mean nothing.  It's who cuts down the nets in April that matters.  Sound like a bunch of bammers.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 4

The absolute craziest thing about this Jesse Newell ranking is the fact that he actually moved Alabama UP to 18 from 24, which is where he had them the week prior. How does Alabama lose both games this week, one at home and one on road, and move UP 6 spots????? Unbelievable really

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saminbama said:

So for the FIRST time in the history of the program we are ranked at #2 and y'all are mad? 🙄  The rankings in January mean nothing.  It's who cuts down the nets in April that matters.  Sound like a bunch of bammers.

And everyone realizes that, it's still a bench mark though that's never been done by AU basketball. What people have a problem with is it was literally pretty much 1 guy that caused us not to be #1. Had that one guy placed us top four like literally every other voter but one other, AU would be #1. The fact that he has a history with this back in 2020 (#11 19-2 and coming off a Kentucky win) and he didn't even have us ranked. Pair that with the fact that he ranked us lower than the previous week, and moved Alabama up after they are coming off another loss. It's the fact that it does not even logically make sense. At the end of the day ranking doesn't "matter", postseason does. I'd say people are more baffled than anything lol

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for Georgia.  Our team has some attitude, crean is quite unlikable, and our fan base is just cranking up.

we may run them out da gym 

also Saturdays game is going to be a blast 

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Ignoring how much context you’re missing by just simplifying it to “y’all are mad?”, you have a voter who essentially hands in a combination of statistical measures without factoring in the eye test for ANY of these games

We already have computer rankings, we don’t need a voter to do what they already do

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Auburn has been ranked #2 in the AP poll before. Three or four times, as a matter of fact. If you require, I'll look up the article that explains it.

• Like 2

On second thought, here you go:

"While the Tigers did not earn top-ranked status for the first time in program history, this stands as only the fourth time they’ve ever been ranked No. 2. They’ve achieved that status in 2000, 1999 and 1959."
https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/auburn-men-s-basketball-moves-up-to-no-2-in-ap-poll/article_fda3b74a-77a6-11ec-a140-1f9f6b0fdf04.html#:~:text=Only four points separated the,in 2000%2C 1999 and 1959.

• Like 1

Learn the facts before calling literally everyone out. There’s a reason most everyone is unhappy and it’s not because of what the rankings mean at this point and certainly not because we are acting like Bammers. Matter of fact it’s a pretty Bammerish thing to not know we’ve been AP #2 before. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Rednillaand @NoALtigerfor correcting him on the fact that Auburn has been #2 before. I keep seeing all over the place that "rankings don't matter" but you bet your ass people see that # in front of the name on tv when we're playing and it means something. That would have been a huge historical achievement by Bruce and his staff, to these players on this team, and to the players that came before them.

Put this resume with a team like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, or any other blue blood and we would be a unanimous #1. Seriously, watch these two videos posted below and tell me that rankings don't matter to these players and this staff.

https://twitter.com/AuburnMBB/status/1482867267276845058?s=20

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

Sounds like someone who doesn’t know jack about what we’ve done thus so far this season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

War Eagle!

1st time poster but always read the action on the forum.  I think this is a great poll because it recognizes what we have done this season (number of #1 votes) but keeps us hungry because we are not the top dog.  We do need to keep improving so we can peak at the right time - hopefully in time to take the SEC tournament then off to the dance.

As far as the latest poll voting goes, these were the voters that had Gonzaga #1 but AU at a lower ranking:

Rank Voter
3 Bryce Miller (San Diego Union-Tribune)
  Stephen Tsai (Honolulu Star Advertiser)
  Steve Greenberg (Chicago Sun-Times)

4 Bret Bloomquist (El Paso Times)
  Marcus Fuller (St. Paul Pioneer Press)

6 Jon Wilner (San Jose Mercury News)

9 Jesse Newell (Kansas City Star)

Based on the voting (1 = 25, 2 = 24, etc), these 7 individuals accounted for 25 pt difference... We shall see what happens in the next few weeks if we both keep winning. 

In the end, the AP poll is not what determines seeding for the dance, so the most important thing we can do is keep getting better and hoping that translates to us still winning each game.

Jerry 

• Like 1

Here is this so-called sports writer's email address.. What a joke. 9th?? Really?? Does he even watch basketball? Im sending him a nice little note on what I think of his ridiculous rankings.  If he had an ounce of moral fiber in his body he would he would resign from voting with the AP writers that actually follow the games, or at a minimum sit his lazy a** down and watch some games himself.  There is literally no justification for most of the moves he has made with Auburn and many other schools for that matter.   Jesse Newell's email: jnewell@kcstar.com

Say what you want about me but I sent him an email directly telling him what I thought about his opinion, and I also sent an email to the newspaper editor he writes for, The Kansas City Star.  There is no reasonable or logical justification for his rankings.  Its either sheer stupidity, laziness, or bias on his part and like I told the editor in my email to he/she, their newspaper loses all credibility covering sports if this is the guy representing them.  Either way, I'm fed up with this nonsense in both basketball and football AP polls.  I know it's just a ranking and doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, but damn, Auburn Men's Basketball has NEVER held a #1 ranking during the season before and what this team has accomplished so far deserves it!  

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, saminbama said:

freezing-cold take

I am proud of this team a d Coach Pearl. He brings energy and passion. This team is fun to watch.  Sportswriter from Kansas for his 5 minutes of fame low balling a legitimate  team that all teams strive for in a season.  War Eagle!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

KenPom now has us winning out the rest of the season. 

Wow, really? Am I the only one who feels a bit queasy at this note?

• Like 2

We’ve shown some vulnerabilities the last few games, but we’re still a work in progress.  We are not playing our best basketball yet, and that should concern the other top teams.   That being said, I very seriously doubt we win out.   I originally predicted we would go 13-5 in the SEC.  I think we clear that mark by a game or 2.  15-3 wouldn’t surprise me at all.  UK this week, @UF, @UT, and @MSU are probably the biggest threats, but also OM and bama will be looking for revenge and OM always makes me nervous, and bama is so unpredictable you never know what may happen in that game.   
Side note: We are 22 point favorites over uga tonight!!!!  I’ve never seen an SEC game line that high!  I hope we cover easily!   I would love for us to beat them by 40!

• Like 1