Auburn ranked #2 in AP poll

Maverick.AU

7 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Win on Saturday and there's no doubt we'll be #1 in both. I've been nervous about the game all week but looking at a tweet earlier about our home record over the last several years makes me a lot less nervous.

Those 4 losses:

2019 - Texas A&M by 3 2018 - #12 Kentucky by 2 2018 - Ole Miss by 5 2017 - Texas A&M by 1

Both in 2019 were ref screw jobs if I recall correctly. 

Purdue's loss tonight is also big for us.  

Jon Wilner had us at #6 in his polling, Purdue was his #2 and UK is at #8.  If we beat UK coupled with Purdue's loss would very likely move us up several spots in his balloting next week... 

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gonzaga currently being pushed by SanFran (who is a good team but obv a loss would be...)

Was just about to note this!! Go Dons. 

San Francisco is good. Linardi has them in the tourney at this point. Gonzaga up 36-33 at the half

Edited by Randman5000

On 1/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, 81spacetiger said:

Noone mentioned it, so I'll add the comment to this thread; in looking at the coaches poll Auburn is #2 but the voting spread is much greater -there is a coach who thinks were #22.  So given the commentary on someone on the AP side voting us in at #9, perhaps that isn't so egregious. 

A coach knows the effort it takes to pull together a team and make it very competitive.  So I find it hard to believe there is a coach who thinks our body of work is only worth a #22 ranking.  I would love to know who that is...

Awesome win last night even though the team didn't look as crisp/sharp.  Nice to be able to win that big win your not playing your best.  Looking forward to the game this Sat..

Jerry

Coaches are also part of the politics. There's a reason the AP poll is the standard bearer, and not the Coaches' Poll.

Wow...

I know to a lot of fans the polls mean nothing in January but this is huge for our program. Look at how far Bruce has brought us. From his first couple of seasons being at the bottom of the conference. To making the tournament. To Winning the SEC regular season, then the next season winning the tournament and making the Final four. We were on track to advance pretty deep again the following season until everything was cancelled for Covid. Last season was a bit of a rebuild but with the transfers that left making room for the additions it worked out perfectly. I don't know where we'll finish the year, but as of this very moment. Auburn Basketball is #1 in the country.

• Like 2