Oregon transfer QB Robby Ashford commits to Auburn!!!

Sizzle

I do feel a little better at QB now with Calzada and Ashford fighting it out for 1 & 2.  Holden at 3 with the hope to redshirt him.  We may have to get one more QB after spring if Finley and DD both leave.  Finley would have to sit if he went to another D1 school, I think so he would have to weigh that option.  Would be fine with him staying and being 3 if it meant we could save Holden's redshirt.  The likelihood QB3 plays would be small.  As far as DD is concerned, I think he is in the mold of Ashford, so I wonder if the coaching staff does not like what they see out of him and plan on moving on.

• Like 1

I remember us wanting this kid out of Hoover.  Forgot he was the one throwing it to Pickens.   War Eagle Robbie!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Ashford is a dual threat too. Looks like Harsin doesn’t mind dual threats in his “system”

Harsin has coached a dual threat before. Look up Grant Hedrick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Let's see if/how this affects Finley and DD.   Should hear something soon if either or both plan to hit the portal.  I think Finley would stick around to compete with Ashford for #2, but who knows. 

I don't expect Finley to transfer. If he does, he'll have to lose a year of eligibility, since he already transferred once. Would not be the least bit surprised to see DD transfer.

• Like 3

He's dual that but he's pass first. Just because he does it well doesn't mean he runs that much.  He's got serious wheels.  When he does run, it's big from what I see. 

Edited by kennypowers
  • Thanks 1

nets-brooklyn.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Let's see if/how this affects Finley and DD.   Should hear something soon if either or both plan to hit the portal.  I think Finley would stick around to compete with Ashford for #2, but who knows. 

Geriner may not be number 2 on the depth chart officially but unofficially if anything happens to Calzada this season I would bet a lot of money Holden is the real QB2 and would get the first crack at it. Finley is just not good and us AU fans know better than anyone of this fact the past 2 seasons. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't expect Finley to transfer. If he does, he'll have to lose a year of eligibility, since he already transferred once. Would not be the least bit surprised to see DD transfer.

Ashford seems to have same skill set as DD... Really makes u wonder why DD doesn't seem to be getting any chance of starting. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ashford seems to have same skill set as DD... Really makes u wonder why DD doesn't seem to be getting any chance of starting. 

6" height difference listed in their bios? Not that I agree it tells the whole story, but metrics can be looked at just like star gazing for some. Though, I'd have to imagine that the coaching staff is seeing something negative related to it... or at least you'd hope, if they are truly moving on...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Whatever it is, it’s got to be pretty bad.

10 hours ago, roe4christ said:

I do feel a little better at QB now with Calzada and Ashford fighting it out for 1 & 2.  Holden at 3 with the hope to redshirt him.  We may have to get one more QB after spring if Finley and DD both leave.  Finley would have to sit if he went to another D1 school, I think so he would have to weigh that option.  Would be fine with him staying and being 3 if it meant we could save Holden's redshirt.  The likelihood QB3 plays would be small.  As far as DD is concerned, I think he is in the mold of Ashford, so I wonder if the coaching staff does not like what they see out of him and plan on moving on.

No way Harsin wants Ashford to end up #2. Too rough and raw. HAs a lot to learn.Can you imagine having to bring in an totally untested QB, if Calzada goes down.

He's a 3-4 year guy to see if he can develop into a solid 2 or better.

I don't expect TJ to transfer too. 

Harsin needs Calzada and Finley to fight it out after spring. If Harsin is smart he doesn't name a starter until Fall.

But if he goes w / Calzada then Finley could go after spring, regardless of his eligibility issue. He'll go smaller school then.

Then Harsin will need to scramble like he did getting FInley last year, bc he will need an experienced backup behind Calzada.

Well we have 6-7 months to figure out who gives us the best chance to win, and that player will be QB1. These kids are at an age where they can improve very very quickly. Out of our five quarterbacks, typically speaking, one will rise to the top. Pretty simple, and now we’ve got another outstanding athlete in the competition. He’s pretty big, he has a lot of athletic ability, as do at least a couple of the other quarterbacks competing for QB1.  I think it’s great and I am very glad to have him.  One of the five, and seemingly two of the five, are probably not cut out to be SEC starters or at least capable of consistently winning at this level.  Let’s hope and pray that one of the other three remaining, are.  

• Like 1

With addition of Ashford, Calzada, Geriner and TJ and DD returning we are in good shape at QB. We might lose one as they start practicing but I feel good about QB at this point. We still need a Veteran WR, O-Linemen or 2 and a veteran LB.  We have lost some interior D-Line Hunter, Pegasus but have picked up two James, and Mba so I feel good there. Losing Height could hurt but I am ready to see Brooks. On the whole I feel good about D-Line, DB's we picked up a lot with tremendous potential but we lost a 1st Round CB and and a couple of safeties. I think we are OK there but will have to wait. LB scares me the most as only have one returning starter and Riley left.  We look good at RB and maybe great if we get Citizen. O-Line and WR are the big question marks now.

13 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

We traded our starting QB to Oregon for a starting DB, starting DL, and QB prospect.

🤯

Don't tell me Bo didn't have value -   this could be a great trade.   Maybe up there with the Hershel Walker trade.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Don't tell me Bo didn't have value -   this could be a great trade.   Maybe up there with the Hershel Walker trade.

Now that was a trade!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With addition of Ashford, Calzada, Geriner and TJ and DD returning we are in good shape at QB. We might lose one as they start practicing but I feel good about QB at this point. We still need a Veteran WR, O-Linemen or 2 and a veteran LB.  We have lost some interior D-Line Hunter, Pegasus but have picked up two James, and Mba so I feel good there. Losing Height could hurt but I am ready to see Brooks. On the whole I feel good about D-Line, DB's we picked up a lot with tremendous potential but we lost a 1st Round CB and and a couple of safeties. I think we are OK there but will have to wait. LB scares me the most as only have one returning starter and Riley left.  We look good at RB and maybe great if we get Citizen. O-Line and WR are the big question marks now.

I don't know the roster, but I no longer feel great about the DL - depth wise.   We really needed Hunter to stick it out and develop.  Hurts losing a 5* to anyone, especially a rival.  R Height also showed a lot of promise.  I think we look good for next yr, but the year after concerns me.

I think LB can be ok, because you can get well with one good transfer.   DL  and OL requires more players.   I was a little disappointed Riley left also.   We need a thumper.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We still need a Veteran WR

I disagree with this one. We need a WR1 to draw the defensive coverage and still be able to make plays, but I don't think he has to be a veteran, per se, unless you mean veteran in the loosest sense possible. If he goes through spring and fall practice and can come out on top of the heap, I don't mind it being a freshman/sophomore who steps up.

But we DO desperately need a leader in the wide receiver room, because that filters down and makes all the other guys better by taking pressure off of them.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I disagree with this one. We need a WR1 to draw the defensive coverage and still be able to make plays, but I don't think he has to be a veteran, per se, unless you mean veteran in the loosest sense possible. If he goes through spring and fall practice and can come out on top of the heap, I don't mind it being a freshman/sophomore who steps up.

But we DO desperately need a leader in the wide receiver room, because that filters down and makes all the other guys better by taking pressure off of them.

Your point is well taken, if one develops you are right.  I would still feel better with veteran WR who had good numbers not just a veteran.

16 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Ashford is a dual threat too. Looks like Harsin doesn’t mind dual threats in his “system”

He is a legit dual threat QB and is almost the same size as Cam Newton.