North Carolina transfer LB Eugene Asante commits to Auburn!!

Sizzle

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

With the exception of O-Line that is not the case.

1 HS QB

2 Portal QB 

1 HS RB plus still have a good shot at Citizen

1 HS TE

3 HS WR

1 HS O-line

No doubt the O-line recruiting to this point sucks. There is no way to sugar coat it even with all the returning O-Line for 1 year a band-aid at best

WR is a maybe as to whether any of the HS can help this year they all have some skills and there is talk about moving King to WR.  I am in the camp of needing a very good Portal WR but others make good points it may not be needed.

I don't want to throw the whole Offense recruiting under the bus because it is only one area O-Line that we have failed so far. To change that we will need a couple more HS O-line in late signing class that can develop and a couple of Portal O-Line this year and probably 3-4 Portal O-line next year after all the 6 year and 7 year players are gone. Plus a kick ass 2023 O-Line class. Sadly I doubt we get more than 1 more HS O-Line this year and I don't feel good about Portal O-Line this year. 

Well yes any argument would work if you put an EXCEPTION CLAUSE IT. "Ben Simmons can be next Lebron, EXCEPT he can't shoot." Well that is a major problem. I am not talking about exceptions here. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well yes any argument would work if you put an EXCEPTION CLAUSE IT. "Ben Simmons can be next Lebron, EXCEPT he can't shoot." Well that is a major problem. I am not talking about exceptions here. 

My exception was a clarification not all Offense recruiting has been bad. Throwing the recruiters on the offensive side who have done a good job like Caddy by saying Offensive recruiting sucks is incorrect. The whole doesn't suck just one part of it sucks.  

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

My exception was a clarification not all Offense recruiting has been bad. Throwing the recruiters on the offensive side who have done a good job like Caddy by saying Offensive recruiting sucks is incorrect. The whole doesn't suck just one part of it sucks.  

Well I never once said the offense recruiting suck or was bad, so there is that.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

UNC transfer LB Eugene Asante commits to Auburn

ByJASON CALDWELL 5 minutes ago

With the losses of ZaKoby McClain and Chandler Wooten, who combined for 189 tackles during the 2021 season, Auburn is looking for immediate help and experience at the linebacker position alongside returner Owen Pappoe. They’ll get that in North Carolina transfer and former 4-star prospect Eugene Asante.

Listed at 6-0 ½, 220, Asante is built more like a running back, but it’s that speed that is the key to his game. Playing in 37 games with the Tar Heels dating back to his true freshman year, the Chantilly, Virginia native has 62 career tackles in three seasons with the TarHeels. This past season he played in 12 games, finishing with 23 tackles and two quarterback hurries. 

Pappoe is expected to be the leader of the linebacker group for the Tigers following his return from a foot injury that limited him to just five games last fall. He totaled 23 tackles in his limited action and enters his senior season with 165 total tackles, six sacks and 12 tackles for a loss.

Behind Pappoe, Auburn returns third-year players Wesley Steiner and Cam Riley. Last season Steiner finished with 21 total tackles in 13 games while Riley had 14 stops in 11 games played. Both received their most extensive playing time of the season in the bowl loss to Houston. 

With McClain opting out of the bowl game to begin preparations for the NFL Draft, Steiner finished with six tackles against the Cougars while Riley had five. 

Auburn also returns third-year linebackers Desmond Tisdol and Kameron Brown, sophomore juco transfer Joko Willis, and adds early signee Powell Gordon for spring practice.

Did I miss something here? Is there something seriously wrong with the first sentence in this article? Or am I mistaken?

22 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Did I miss something here? Is there something seriously wrong with the first sentence in this article? Or am I mistaken?

ZaKoby and Chandler are not coming back and Owen is.   1st sentence is accurate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the exception of O-Line that is not the case.

1 HS QB

2 Portal QB 

1 HS RB plus still have a good shot at Citizen

1 HS TE

3 HS WR

1 HS O-line

No doubt the O-line recruiting to this point sucks. There is no way to sugar coat it even with all the returning O-Line for 1 year a band-aid at best

WR is a maybe as to whether any of the HS can help this year they all have some skills and there is talk about moving King to WR.  I am in the camp of needing a very good Portal WR but others make good points it may not be needed.

I don't want to throw the whole Offense recruiting under the bus because it is only one area O-Line that we have failed so far. To change that we will need a couple more HS O-line in late signing class that can develop and a couple of Portal O-Line this year and probably 3-4 Portal O-line next year after all the 6 year and 7 year players are gone. Plus a kick ass 2023 O-Line class. Sadly I doubt we get more than 1 more HS O-Line this year and I don't feel good about Portal O-Line this year. 

Do we know if any of our WR recruits will be in for spring practice? 

That would help greatly getting them on the field with the current offense coaching staff of Harsin/Davis/Kiesau with learning the playbook and on field reps...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Do we know if any of our WR recruits will be in for spring practice? 

That would help greatly getting them on the field with the current offense coaching staff of Harsin/Davis/Kiesau with learning the playbook and on field reps...

I believe Fair will be there not sure about the other 2.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe Fair will be there not sure about the other 2.

He's a good one to be getting in early. Any of them could be the best in the class, but he's got elite speed. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

He's a good one to be getting in early. Any of them could be the best in the class, but he's got elite speed. 

Does Fair fit the J Johnson mold? Small but fast?

I was hoping for the bigger WRs to get in that are our go to 50/50 deep ball catchers, since that seems like our missing WR we need. (Robertson type).

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Does Fair fit the J Johnson mold? Small but fast?

I was hoping for the bigger WRs to get in that are our go to 50/50 deep ball catchers, since that seems like our missing WR we need. (Robertson type).

Similar build, better speed I believe. But he also might be a little more of a 50/50 guy. He can definitely be a lot more than Robertson or Hudson were. (That's me talking more about them than him, though.) 

In his recruiting thread, a certain TX high school coach invoked Steve Smith, which makes it funny that you mentioned Javy because I always said I wanted him to be Ryan Davis with a little more Steve Smith to him. 

Anyway. He's got potential to be a very good all around receiver. 

51 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

ZaKoby and Chandler are not coming back and Owen is.   1st sentence is accurate. 

Figured it was me, but I had read that Wooten was coming back on here. There was a thread labeled Wooten and stated glad he was coming back. Someone cleared it up later in the thread it was Wooden that was coming back….

Now I’m so confused I’m starting to question everything. Lol

Regardless. Glad we got This kid!!  Don’t see anyway I can get his name mixed up with someone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXaubie said:

Figured it was me, but I had read that Wooten was coming back on here. There was a thread labeled Wooten and stated glad he was coming back. Someone cleared it up later in the thread it was Wooden that was coming back….

Now I’m so confused I’m starting to question everything. Lol

Regardless. Glad we got This kid!!  Don’t see anyway I can get his name mixed up with someone else. 

Wooten, Wooden has had me confused for years.

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

Did Chizik run this dude off?

He entered the portal before Chizik was rehired at UNC.

Excited to see him in orange and blue and will be a guy that I'm pulling for since he went to my high school.  Certainly nice to add some quality LB depth.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Out of likes, but love it. Any specifics?

He's been a workout freak and guys are noticing. People are expecting Owen and him to be on the field together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

He's been a workout freak and guys are noticing. People are expecting Owen and him to be on the field together. 

Those guys actually tend to work out for us. Dee Ford, Cory Grant, Tre Mason, Braden Smith and Jarquez Hunter all qualify. Wes Steiner is another. 

• Like 4