Remembering Pat Sullivan--Gone Two years Now

Proud Tiger

• Proud Tiger changed the title to Remembering Pat Sullivan--Gone Two years Now

He was my first quarterback so to speak. My first jersey, a number 7. I thought we couldn't lose with him playing and it was just about true. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I heard a funny story about him from a lady in my Sunday school class.

She had recently married an AU engineering student and they were living in the married student apartments ( a real thing in the 60's and 70's).

Now this lady is from Tuscaloosa and from a die hard Alabama family. It so happened that she washed their clothes on the same week night that

Sullivan washed his and his wife's clothes and they became acquainted. One night he asked her if she would keep an eye on the clothes he had 

brought in because he had forgotten his detergent and needed to go back and get it. She said there was no need to do that and that he could borrow

some of her's. She pushed it across the table to him, he looked at it and pushed it back saying "I can't wash our clothes with that". It was "Tide" washing

powder. She said from that moment on she has been an Auburn fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I still remember going to Tuscaloosa to watch him play the turds in the now defunct freshman game. I have to admit I wasn't too giddy with Auburn trailing 27-0. But my opinion changed in the second half. The last score came on a bomb to Beasley. The final. Auburn 35.                                                       Turds 27         

Just as God intended.       

Edited by milehighfan
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I still remember going to Tuscaloosa to watch him play the turds in the now defunct freshman game. I have to admit I wasn't too giddy with Auburn trailing 27-0. But my opinion changed in the second half. The last score came on a bomb to Beasley. The final. Auburn 35.                                                       Turds 27         

Just as God intended.       

Things were lookin' bad, then our punter faked a punt, got a 1st down and the game changed. At the moment I can't recall his name but that was a big key to the win.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Things were lookin' bad, then our punter faked a punt, got a 1st down and the game changed. At the moment I can't recall his name but that was a big key to the win.

That's interesting. I did not know there was a fake punt in the freshman game which would have been 1968 only for Connie Frederick to run a fake punt 80+ yards for a TD in 1969 against UA also.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Just as God intended.       

I was in the Auburn Marching Band back then and a group of us were driving back to Auburn that day and I could not believe that we had come back to win that game. It was the beginning of the great legend of “Sullivan and Beasley.” 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

He was my first quarterback so to speak. My first jersey, a number 7. I thought we couldn't lose with him playing and it was just about true. 

was it a tear a way jersey?  we played football in the street and the auburn kids were either pat or beasely and the bama kids all wanted to be musso. good times. we even broke musso's leg.the only time i ever heard a bone snap and i have never forgot it. i remember even the bama fans all respected pat believe it or not. they even talked of his class in my neighborhood. that is high praise cus they mostly ass hated auburn in principal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WVR said:

One of my prized Auburn possessions.

408C308B-F8D9-44FD-AB49-46877B6F7F39.jpeg

We have had lots of good QB-WR combos but for me Sullivan to Beasley was the best. I hope everyone has read the book about Beasley.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

That's interesting. I did not know there was a fake punt in the freshman game which would have been 1968 only for Connie Frederick to run a fake punt 80+ yards for a TD in 1969 against UA also.

I saw Connie run that one back. I remember it like it was yesterday. Many years after he did it, I won a Trivia game by answering the question "what Auburn player returned a punt for 80 yards against its hated rival.?" Nobody would play with me after that.😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I saw Connie run that one back. I remember it like it was yesterday. Many years after he did it, I won a Trivia game by answering the question "what Auburn player returned a punt for 80 yards against its hated rival.?" Nobody would play with me after that.😀

i wish they would do a book about terry henley i think?RB from oxford who played for auburn. that is one of the funniest cats i ever heard being interviewed and he had some wonderful tales to tell.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i wish they would do a book about terry henley i think?RB from oxford who played for auburn. that is one of the funniest cats i ever heard being interviewed and he had some wonderful tales to tell.

I think if they ever write one the title should be "Hee Haw Henley."😀

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I think if they ever write one the title should be "Hee Haw Henley."😀

i do not know him enough to get the hee haw thing but i understand he stayed in the coaches doghouse.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not know him enough to get the hee haw thing but i understand he stayed in the coaches doghouse.

That was a nick name he got.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Here at the top of this link are some pics of Henley. You can click on some of them and get more info. One of my favorites is him saying "I have a better chance of outrunning Usain Bolt than Clemson beating Auburn."

terry henley auburn at DuckDuckGo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

was it a tear a way jersey?  we played football in the street and the auburn kids were either pat or beasely and the bama kids all wanted to be musso. good times. we even broke musso's leg.the only time i ever heard a bone snap and i have never forgot it. i remember even the bama fans all respected pat believe it or not. they even talked of his class in my neighborhood. that is high praise cus they mostly ass hated auburn in principal.

Not a tear-away by intent but I wore it so much and so long it was thin enough to rip without much pull. 😉