Jump to content
Null

Men vs UGA Game Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Lot of individual play tonight.  Feel like when we get up big, they start to kind of play their own game.  Just me?

Like a completely unnecessary behind the back dribble by Wen that turned a 2-on-1 break into a turnover and him sliding out of bounds face first? No, I have no idea what you're talking about...

Fun to watch them have fun but I think we all agree it's time to get more focused on basketball that will beat Final Four type teams. Bruce obviously knows that better than we do and hopefully he's able flip that switch. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites





3 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I was at the game so we didnt get a replay, but I can't believe the officials did absolutely nothing about #23 walking from base line to top of the key just to get in Jabari's face at the very beginning of the game. From what I've heard (I'll watch the replay in my lunch break) the guy tried to bully ball Jabari and got stone walled underneath. Nothing dirty or malicious. But as an official you CANNOT let that confrontation happen and nothing come of it. That wasn't a spur of the moment altercation. Dude had half a minute to think it out and still took the walk. 

On the other side of it, good on Jabari for not backing down! Dude got in Jabari's face and Jabari was about it. Also, good on the rest of the team stepping in.

Jabari threw him a legal yet contentious shot to the ribs on account of the banging down low. That’s why he did it 

it was just a very testy game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jabari threw him a legal yet contentious shot to the ribs on account of the banging down low. That’s why he did it 

it was just a very testy game 

Gotcha. Like I said, being at the game limited the replays for me. We sat there kind of in disbelief that nothing happened after the Georgia guy reacted that way. That's a really quick way for an official to lose control of a game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

it was just a very testy game 

Do you feel like that's going to be the MO going forward? 

I haven't always put a ton of stock into the "everyone's best shot" concept, but it does occur to me that we will be getting everyone's cheap shots and increasingly nasty away crowds. 

It's good to be hated, baby!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, McLoofus said:

Do you feel like that's going to be the MO going forward? 

I haven't always put a ton of stock into the "everyone's best shot" concept, but it does occur to me that we will be getting everyone's cheap shots and increasingly nasty away crowds. 

It's good to be hated, baby!

Against the teams we have bad blood against anyway? Definitely! 
Tennessee is a dumpster fire, Alabama players seem ready to quit any day now, Kentucky is coached by John Calipari. All of those games are gonna feature some pushing and shoving, I’d bet anything on those. Now maybe an A&M or some other random, we don’t have to bring the brass knuckles 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two men sitting behind me last night were having a discussion about which team do we think is dirty enough to send the 11th man in just to undercut someone like Jabari, Kessler, or AF. It's not secret that there is a ton of animosity toward Bruce in the coaching ranks because they cant understand how someone could build a program from dumpster fire to national power. Make no mistake, Bruce was accepted by all until we won the SEC in 2018. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

It's not secret that there is a ton of animosity toward Bruce in the coaching ranks because they cant understand how someone could build a program from dumpster fire to national power. Make no mistake, Bruce was accepted by all until we won the SEC in 2018. 

I promise this is an honest question, but... is this a joke?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I promise this is an honest question, but... is this a joke?

I don't know that it was the SEC championship that turned people against Bruce. But he definitely has a lot of people out there that do not like him. I constantly see hit pieces saying he is a cheater just like Will Wade and yada yada. 

I'm not sure if it is his winning, attitude, or past NCAA transgressions but how else do you explain the guy never getting named SEC coach of the year?? Its the media that pics that award but i think it demonstrates the general dislike of BP. 

Buts its ok Bruce...we got your back and AU fans will love you forever!!! You don't need those losers to like you :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't know that it was the SEC championship that turned people against Bruce. But he definitely has a lot of people out there that do not like him. I constantly see hit pieces saying he is a cheater just like Will Wade and yada yada. 

I'm not sure if it is his winning, attitude, or past NCAA transgressions but how else do you explain the guy never getting named SEC coach of the year?? Its the media that pics that award but i think it demonstrates the general dislike of BP. 

Buts its ok Bruce...we got your back and AU fans will love you forever!!! You don't need those losers to like you :)

 

Fans have disliked him for years. Illinois fans are still crying over something that happened in the 80's. More teams are crying because he had a BBQ and lied to the NCAA despite the NCAA being as corrupt as anything. And now even more fans are getting in their feelings because of an assistant coach trying to steer players away from Auburn. Not realizing Bruce had nothing to do with it, our assistant was fired right away, and our players sat for a year and a year and a half, AND they had to pay the money back.

Seriously, the hate that Bruce gets because he's just a better coach and recruiter is insane and it's something that we'll have to get used to. Media and Fans hate Bruce. I highly doubt other coaches around the league do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, toddc said:

 

I don't understand it at all. Why can't they just go to the video and come out with the right answer? The whole planet knows the right answer- but the one official important guy can't do it? Just like Jesse Newell. It's infuriating. 

IMG_20220120_143311.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't know that it was the SEC championship that turned people against Bruce.

It wasn't that, people hated him long long before that, and I am just shocked that somebody thought otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I promise this is an honest question, but... is this a joke?

 

Not a joke, but I wasnt as specific as I should have been. The televised media that Bruce worked with between Auburn and Tennessee seem to really like him. The written media around the sport takes pot shots at Bruce and borderline call him a cheater openly. 

Fans are another story. Fans have a tendency to be irrational and hold grudges for decades. However, Bruce Pearl was usually followed by crappy BBQ jokes around the SEC until he made Auburn a national power in a sport we havent been competitive in since the early 2000s. If Auburn were winning 6 or 7 games a year in the SEC you wouldnt see the stuff you're seeing from other fanbases around the country. I think they truly believe that Bruce cheats every recruiting cycle, every game, and every possession. All of that despite there being zero evidence of it. Trust me, if Bruce Pearl would have been involved in the Chuck Person's situation the FBI would have figured it out.

 

Edit: So McLoofus, you're right in saying that I was wrong when I said he was "accepted by all" before he started winning at Auburn. He wasnt accepted by all. The hatred just skyrocketed when he started winning again.

Edited by AUFightingSoldiers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

 

Not a joke, but I wasnt as specific as I should have been. The televised media that Bruce worked with between Auburn and Tennessee seem to really like him. The written media around the sport takes pot shots at Bruce and borderline call him a cheater openly. 

Fans are another story. Fans have a tendency to be irrational and hold grudges for decades. However, Bruce Pearl was usually followed by crappy BBQ jokes around the SEC until he made Auburn a national power in a sport we havent been competitive in since the early 2000s. If Auburn were winning 6 or 7 games a year in the SEC you wouldnt see the stuff you're seeing from other fanbases around the country. I think they truly believe that Bruce cheats every recruiting cycle, every game, and every possession. All of that despite there being zero evidence of it. Trust me, if Bruce Pearl would have been involved in the Chuck Person's situation the FBI would have figured it out.

Gotcha. I guess you didn't know the Illinois story. The Tennessee thing is why people think he's a cheater. The Illinois thing is why other coaches legit hate him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl#Pearl/Thomas_incident_(1988–1989)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. I guess you didn't know the Illinois story. The Tennessee thing is why people think he's a cheater. The Illinois thing is why other coaches legit hate him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl#Pearl/Thomas_incident_(1988–1989)

Yeah I straight up misspoke an came off as uninformed in my first post 😅. The "accepted by all" part was a big oof lol

Edited by AUFightingSoldiers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Gotcha. Like I said, being at the game limited the replays for me. We sat there kind of in disbelief that nothing happened after the Georgia guy reacted that way. That's a really quick way for an official to lose control of a game.

I think some of Bruce’s comments about this, and his reluctant comment, were more about crean than other coaches.  I think they have a history.

I think most of the sec coaches have good relationship with cbp.  USC, ole miss, uk, ut… the ESPN folks love cbp.  They worked with him and he is a great interview and great tv.

print media and “outside” coaches/fans are the bastards that don’t like him.  But since bball is based on winning on the court and not media … screw the haters.

after we win it all w jabari and he goes first in the draft … with 1 munchkin PG no one wanted, another castoff PG no one wanted, a transfer from GA, a 3* from Arkansas, being the second choice from our center, “average” recruit backups and a try hard white kid from the burbs … 

CBP can stand in any living room in the country after this year and sell the Auburn family, individual success, nba draft picks, sec championships, March madness runs, NIL, etc… he can show kids they can have a fun year in college, bypass the gleague and still go in the draft. There will be no negative angle that he can’t rebut.  This is an awesome time to be an Auburn bball fan!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, jj3jordan said:

All my Tennessee friends are really unhappy that we have Bruce and they don’t.  They would take him back in a heartbeat. 

I live in Memphis, & I can assure y'all that this statement is true. Also, when he was at UT, Memphis fans hated him. But when a rumor started that he was being pursued by Memphis after Calipari left, Memphis fans got seriously excited & would have loved to have him. Aside from the NCAA issues, Bruce also seems to have 1 of those personalities that no one is ever neutral about. You love him or hate him depending on the colors you & he are wearing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I live in Memphis, & I can assure y'all that this statement is true. Also, when he was at UT, Memphis fans hated him. But when a rumor started that he was being pursued by Memphis after Calipari left, Memphis fans got seriously excited & would have loved to have him. Aside from the NCAA issues, Bruce also seems to have 1 of those personalities that no one is ever neutral about. You love him or hate him depending on the colors you & he are wearing.

I too live in TN and I have not come across a single Vol fan that is not jealous that we have BP. They love him right now! I am so thankful we have Bruce. To the haters I always say, Everyone hates a winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

CBP can stand in any living room in the country after this year and sell the Auburn family, individual success, nba draft picks, sec championships, March madness runs, NIL, etc… he can show kids they can have a fun year in college, bypass the gleague and still go in the draft. There will be no negative angle that he can’t rebut.  This is an awesome time to be an Auburn bball fan!

100% agreed. This take is why we need that #1 ranking. Not for the tourney. For that extra notch on Pearl’s belt when he’s recruiting a kid coveted by the blue bloods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...