Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This is my biggest concern right now. That hardass mindset is great, with results. No results? Things implode with a quickness.

This was stated before the season somewhere by insiders re: Harsin attitude and approach. It would either be a great success or a roaring flameout pretty quickly (3 years), but no middle ground. I have tried to be an optimist primarily because I thought Gus was a terrible hire from day one and was way past ready for a change. I will say that the way things are trending (player retention, recruiting HS and portal, coaching staff turnover, end of season losing streak- really every outwardly visible aspect of the football program) has me thinking that the flameout result is highly likely. I *really* hope that I’m wrong but any inclination I had toward optimism is gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Once again. I never said he didn't coach or quit coaching or whatever. I simply said it's possible he had more input from assistants in the IB or some other game for that matter, than he wanted. It's also possible he devised each game plan all by himself with no input from assistants whatsoever.  It's possible Harsin ticked him off over it. It's also possible Mason hates living in Auburn and doesn't agree with the pregame meal menu and just wants out. I have no idea and no one on here does either. But to totally dismiss the chance that Harsin has done something to tick Mason off is naive thinking. 

This appears all speculation, rumor and spin. An attempt to have a reason when it doesn't change the result. Someone  could "say" Mason has done something to tick Harsin off.  Let it play out.  Not the first or last staff change in football.  Football leadership is not for the faint of heart or the fearful. 

Although I questioned his hire and monumental collapses this year, I’m not certain I want to see him go. However if he does I believe Harsin will make an improvement. 

1 minute ago, Ausburn2 said:

This appears all speculation, rumor and spin. An attempt to have a reason when it doesn't change the result. Someone  could "say" Mason has done something to tick Harsin off.  Let it play out.  Not the first or last staff change in football.  Football leadership is not for the faint of heart or the fearful. 

Which is why I said no one knows

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But the signal this sends is horrible. Leaving Auburn for a less than lateral move? Add that to the huge player exodus and portal failures? Idk man.

Agree. This program is in a bad way right now. Do we give Harsin 5-7 years to do it his way and still be a predominantly 8 win team as we were under the last coach? I would say after 3 years if we look in as much disarray as we currently do, then it may be time to cut ties. Maybe we sign a few more in February this year, but unless they are world beaters, then what’s really changed since the bowl game? Post all of the frown faces etc., but can anybody really say we are better than anybody in the West currently? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I would bet u a dollar to a donut if Harsin had it to do over, he wouldn't have hired Mason or Bobo. He would have just brought the Potato gang and some other coaches from west coast sprinkled in with some former AU players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am withholding judgement or feelings until I see how this impacts our roster. If we start seeing a mass exodus of defensive players I am going to get really really concerned. Until then I am not sweating it too badly. I always figured Mason's time here would be short. If both sides aren't happy then it is for the best, really. 

I personally think CDM did an excellent job for the most part and I would have liked him to stay. With that said, everyone here pretty much knew who was going to be our next DC since last spring. It's just coming a year or so sooner than most expected. 

The recruits likely stay. Most of them anyways. But 2nd year in and we are already at 2 coordinators down. Where is the stability?  

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Response was a general statement not directed specifically to you. Which is why I said someone.  Post on my friend.

11 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I guess he’s going to sink or swim by doing things his way, including his staff. To early to tell how it’s going to shake out. 
I still think Harsin will turn it around 

I truly hope so, but I'm going strictly by evidence thus far. Much more evidence of sinking than swimming. CBH needs to get it together and understand perception is going to determine how much time he has before he is canned.

30 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

JHoke just said that per his sources, MAson Gone. Schmedding to DC, and Crob to LBs coach pretty much done deal.

Gahd damn.  Moving on from Mason before he even moves on from us.

IDK man.  There was a lot to like about Mason even though his defense was super frustrating before the red zone.  Was he forced on Harsin?  

Live or Die by your blue potato sword.  There are good coaches in G5, but damn this is kinda scary

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I would bet u a dollar to a donut if Harsin had it to do over, he wouldn't have hired Mason or Bobo. He would have just brought the Potato gang and some other coaches from west coast sprinkled in with some former AU players

I will take the dollar$📀

29 minutes ago, NES said:

Go coach Harsin do it your way please. 2024 bowl game will be the judge for me. Please give us consistent performance and a genuine shot at a championship every 3-4 years would be excellent. 

I'd bet it's greater than 50% right now that he isn't coaching in a bowl game after the 2024 season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

but can anybody really say we are better than anybody in the West currently? 

too much is unknown to take a demonstrable position on that question tbh.  

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd bet it's greater than 50% right now that he isn't coaching in a bowl game after the 2024 season

Hard to say, I know I wouldn't commit myself to any 2024 prediction with so much unknown and anyone that says they know for sure Harsin will be gone by 2024 is full of it.  Not that you are saying that in this quote.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That is the most positive endorsement for Coach Harsin that you have given lately...

46 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I liked the job Mason was doing, so I’d like him to stay.

On the other hand, I knew when we hired him he wouldn’t be here long.

He’s looking to be a HC again I’m sure.

So,regardless of why he’s leaving, we would be replacing him sooner rather than later 

Totally Agree

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U may wanna rethink that . We got a good donut place up here

does it have sausage and cheese kolaches... asking for a friend...

19 hours ago, au302 said:

A poster on another board after the Scar loss said that Schmedding was basically going to be the DC for the IB. Laughed it off until I watched the IB. Still probably not true, but has had me thinking since then

I know some don't like him and i only follow his twitter but JBoy has eluded to the same regarding Schmedding having a hand in the defense for the IB. Stating it was a team effort. 

I don't like this for any reason other than i want us to have stability. I'm trying to reserve my thoughts and be positive but it's looking very shaky. On the other hand, i wasn't impressed many times with Mason lack of aggression considering the playmakers we had on defense.

The IB really showed how dominate we can be if we were aggressive. He went soft of the last drive for Bama to tie it when we were aggressive all game. If Schmedding gives us the type of defense we saw in the IB...i'm with it. But we really need to get guys who want to be here more than a year or two.

• Like 2

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Na, just old fashioned donuts.. opens 4am ... gotta get there early

oof, still good, kolaches are a TX thing so it was a stretch.

Just maybe, maybe these guyd from Boise can coach some football…..let see how things look with his coordinators in place vs ones he probably never felt comfortable with from the start. 

• Like 4