Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

24 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Ah, Dale’s.  Took my Senior Prom Date there the first time I ever ate there.

All this N Alabama love isaking me homesick.  I miss Dales for the ambiance and the french onion soup, George's has the best steaks hidden in a non descrpt cinder block building, and Ricatons for the amazing bread and pasta.  Plus I can't find any decent fried chicken in Knoxville-so Newberns is a must when we get back.  

• Like 2

Regardless of how you feel about Mason as a coach, promoting Schmedding to DC, from a recruiting standpoint appears to be a step backwards at the very least. The 2023 class is going to be vital for Harsin to turn the program around. Losing Mason, plus Eason, puts a dent in our ability to improve in recruiting on the defensive side heading toward 2023. I'm not saying we're going to fall apart in recruiting, I think that's a stretch. But at the same time I think it's foolish to think that our recruiting won't take even a small hit by replacing Mason with Schmedding.

I see this as a net negative.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Regardless of how you feel about Mason as a coach, promoting Schmedding to DC, from a recruiting standpoint appears to be a step backwards at the very least. The 2023 class is going to be vital for Harsin to turn the program around. Losing Mason, plus Eason, puts a dent in our ability to improve in recruiting on the defensive side heading toward 2023. I'm not saying we're going to fall apart in recruiting, I think that's a stretch. But at the same time I think it's foolish to think that our recruiting won't take even a small hit by replacing Mason with Schmedding.

I see this as a net negative.

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that Harsin does not prioritize recruiting. Either that or he doesn’t understand what it takes to be a great recruiter in the SEC.

But I agree - next year is one of the most crucial years for Auburn football. The state is loaded with talent, and we’ll have a new football facility to show off. It’s set up for us to have a top 5 class. But, if something doesn’t change…

• Like 1

The thing is I am not upset that CBH is going out like this . I am just curious why this didn’t occur at the beginning. If it plays out the way it is , this seem like a major waste in some points this year 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus might have bred a lot of contentness, but one thing he didn’t have is low character guys, esp the further from 2015 you get. These are high character guys that just do not seem to like this guy. 

I think Gus is a supreme oil salesman, but some of these players weren’t being regaled with a great statistical or snap opportunity when he was here. And there’s more and more trying to leave that don’t even want Gus/UCF. There’s gotta be something more than just “Gus only bred quitters and Harsin only attracts winners” 

What I don’t get is all the talk in the off-season and during the season from insiders and the like saying that players loved him and especially how hands on he was in practices and such. There was a recent livestream that had some players on disparaging him and that included Zakoby.

18 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What I don’t get is all the talk in the off-season and during the season from insiders and the like saying that players loved him and especially how hands on he was in practices and such. There was a recent livestream that had some players on disparaging him and that included Zakoby.

How did nobody record this livestream dang.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

If we have learned anything over this past year it’s that the insider information can not be trusted. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If we have learned anything over this past year it’s that the insider information can not be trusted. 

Doesn't exist

2 hours ago, KnoxAubie said:

All this N Alabama love isaking me homesick.  I miss Dales for the ambiance and the french onion soup, George's has the best steaks hidden in a non descrpt cinder block building, and Ricatons for the amazing bread and pasta.  Plus I can't find any decent fried chicken in Knoxville-so Newberns is a must when we get back.  

Love Newbern’s!  I went to high school with the owners’ sons and they all still work there.  It’s certainly a family business.  The catfish is to die for!

23 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Marcello …

6123BFBD-5A9D-4495-983C-63FCE4F23446.jpeg

So Harsin is not on the same page as the OC (former) and DC that he hired. But he’s gonna be the next Urban Meyer…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

1 hour ago, DAG said:

How did nobody record this livestream dang.

Most ground breaking piece of news we had in the entire offseason and its nonexistent in a world where everyone has a screeen recorder built into their phone. 

I don't know if Mason knows a single thing about running a truly elite program, but I do know Harsin's staff management has been very up and down to this point 

I don't know if our former DL coach came for him or came for Mason (I'd assume Harsin), but you get to a pretty bad situation when you're shoving asst coaches under Derek and you're hiring his replacements that he doesn't cosign. That's very ***-like, either ***-like or Au**rn Board of Trustees like. Either way, not very CEO

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I hear ya on all that. And I totally agree on your timeline.

I’m not panicking yet. I think the current state of CFB is so much different than even three years ago, I’m having a hard time measuring a lot of the perceived negatives. 

Constant upheaval and instability with the coaching staff will always be a negative.....

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I think this is a lose lose for both.  Leaving Auburn for Ok State is a bad look for Auburn.  As we all saw against Miss State Mason could have some tough games at Ok State with the 50+ pass style offenses.  The defense generally got better as the season went on but there were things like 3rd and long conversion rate, the 2nd half of Miss State, and the last drive of regulation against Bama where you could see Harsin and most fans being disappointed.  The defense had the pieces to be really good and at times they were.  Harsin still has the benefit of the doubt for me and baring a complete meltdown next year I say bring on the Boise Boys.  They have a track record of success.  It does make you wonder how much say Harsin had on assistants with the turnover Auburn’s had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It does make you wonder how much say Harsin had on assistants with the turnover Auburn’s had.

Does it though? Maybe he realized he didn't have any real SEC connections and went after who was available. After seeing how those guys let him down in either play calling or recruiting and making his own inroads with regional HS head coaches, perhaps he's cutting bait and moving on?

Edited by selias
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, selias said:

First the Negabarners didn't like Mason because he was fired from Vandy then it was his zone coverage and defensive packages were a problem. Now it's a problem he is (or may be) leaving.

Pick a side already.

Negabarners. Excellent. 

Just now, 90s Distortion said:

Negabarners. Excellent. 

Wish I could claim the term, I actually picked it up here a few years back :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, selias said:

Does it though? Maybe he realized he didn't have any real SEC connections and went after who was available. After seeing how those guys let him down in either play calling or recruiting and making his own inroads with regional HS head coaches, perhaps he's cutting bait and moving on?

Definitely possible.  I don’t mind the Boise Boys and I think people over estimate some things.  Sort of reminds me of 2003 USC and everyone saying they couldn’t deal with the heat and noise.  They ended up doing just fine in the heat and noise and it was loud for about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Definitely possible.  I don’t mind the Boise Boys and I think people over estimate some things.  Sort of reminds me of 2003 USC and everyone saying they couldn’t deal with the heat and noise.  They ended up doing just fine in the heat and noise and it was loud for about 30 minutes.

This whole "Boise Boys" chatter is absolute nonsense to me. There is nothing special about the south. Football is football. If, after a year, Harsin wants to bring in more people he's comfortable with, fine. The regional HS HCs now know who he is, the players now know who he is, the only thing lacking is time (ie., being recruited since middle school) and that wasn't going be available regardless of who Auburn hired.

Edited by selias
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 90s Distortion said:

Negabarners. Excellent. 

I prefer Gus Apologists but negabarners is excellent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1