Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think this is a lose lose for both.  Leaving Auburn for Ok State is a bad look for Auburn.  As we all saw against Miss State Mason could have some tough games at Ok State with the 50+ pass style offenses.  The defense generally got better as the season went on but there were things like 3rd and long conversion rate, the 2nd half of Miss State, and the last drive of regulation against Bama where you could see Harsin and most fans being disappointed.  The defense had the pieces to be really good and at times they were.  Harsin still has the benefit of the doubt for me and baring a complete meltdown next year I say bring on the Boise Boys.  They have a track record of success.  It does make you wonder how much say Harsin had on assistants with the turnover Auburn’s had.

Okie State has been in the top 15 a good bit recently. Don’t discount their track record against ours lately. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, selias said:

This whole "Boise Boys" chatter is absolute nonsense to me. There is nothing special about the south. Football is football. If, after a year, Harsin wants to bring in more people he's comfortable with, fine. The regional HS HCs now know who he is, the players now know who he is, the only thing lacking is time (ie., being recruited since middle school) and that wasn't going be available regardless of who Auburn hired.

I respectfully disagree about nothing special about the south. There is added pressure in states like Alabama where there is no professional team. College football is it. On the surface football is football but it isn’t the same depending where u live. There is a reason the SEC has the motto it means more. Look how much basketball has evolved over the years

• Facepalm 2

So @Didbau think the pressure of coaching at Boise is the same as Auburn. One team is a group of 5 and the other is in a conference with teams constantly going to the playoffs and winning 

22 minutes ago, e808 said:

There is a reason the SEC has the motto it means more.

it was mostly aimed at this lol

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

So @Didbau think the pressure of coaching at Boise is the same as Auburn. One team is a group of 5 and the other is in a conference with teams constantly going to the playoffs and winning 

No, I don't think any of that nor have I said it.

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

No, I don't think any of that nor have I said it.

My apologies another poorly worded post. It does seem to imply u said that in which u didn’t 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, selias said:

This whole "Boise Boys" chatter is absolute nonsense to me. There is nothing special about the south. Football is football. If, after a year, Harsin wants to bring in more people he's comfortable with, fine. The regional HS HCs now know who he is, the players now know who he is, the only thing lacking is time (ie., being recruited since middle school) and that wasn't going be available regardless of who Auburn hired.

Yet for the past two decades almost all national title winners and contenders are either based in the South or full of southern players. Might be nice having some guys who know the culture and can connect to those from it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, selias said:

First the Negabarners didn't like Mason because he was fired from Vandy then it was his zone coverage and defensive packages were a problem. Now it's a problem he is (or may be) leaving.

Pick a side already.

Alex, I will take "It has to be negative" for $1000.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Luke Fickell, Chris Petersen or Jim Harbs takes football as serious as any southern based coach 

I like Harsins approach. Wish more personnel issues were addressed in the portal though. Mason and Bobo didn't work out for whatever reason. Harsin has to have at least 2 more years. The talk of him already on hot seat is foolish.  Sometimes u gotta break it on down, to build it back up. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Constant upheaval and instability with the coaching staff will always be a negative.....

If you choose to see it that way, be my guest. Coaches come and go. It’s the way the business is.

*ETA- Yes, large scale upheaval is not good. However, I’m willing to give a new coach a little bit of time. He replaced two coaches and has had two leave for other jobs. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge

The vibe I’m getting from some here is that the “Boise Boys” and “Potato Gang” references to CBH and his coaches seem to carry a undertone of negativity and disrespect because they are “outsiders” or “their not from around here”. 

Friendly reminder- CBH chose to leave a comfortable place where he and his “boys” were very successful in order to compete and win against the best football programs in the country. 

I personally applaud and respect that drive and character within a leader no matter where they are from. 

Growing pains are painful and we are certainly experiencing those but let’s not let those pains become excuses to create negative stereotypes for CBH and his staff as they work through the challenges of this build. War Eagle! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

The vibe I’m getting from some here is that the “Boise Boys” and “Potato Gang” references to CBH and his coaches seem to carry a undertone of negativity and disrespect because they are “outsiders” or “their not from around here”.

Just the reality of recruiting. A staff of Mountain West coaches are going to take longer to build relationships with coaches and players across the southeast where they haven't ever recruited before. They're going up against "new" coaches in the league who have and subsequently have a head start on them. 

If you think they're going to give Brian Harsin 5 years of near .500 ball, then growing pains like these are acceptable...but I'd be very surprised if this is the case and with the shambles this program appears to be in, that's not an unrealistic outlook with the level of coaching I witnessed this past season. 

• Like 1

I think Harsin can be a successful SEC HC. Just wish he would’ve cut his teeth somewhere other than Auburn. 

Auburn is a turn key program. It is not the black hole that people like to describe it as that is just impossible to compete with Bama and UGA. Our PTB are the ones who make it seem impossible. 

Still wish we would’ve gone hard after Luke Fickell or just given Dabo a blank check and CEO status. 

I’m pretty down about this one. Auburn was 5th in the conference in scoring defense, 4th in yards per play, 4th in defensive efficiency—all with an offense way below average in all those things.

As for the Boise crowd, it feels odd that well respected black guys are getting replaced with Boise white guys. Well, twice. That can’t help with recruits. 

Look, I’m an Auburn fan. I’ve been pretty positive about Harsin. I know Boise was good on D the year before Harsin came. But I cannot imagine how we lose Mason if things are “fine.”

In light of this off-season, I have some questions:

1. Were Bobo and Mason chosen by CBH or were they forced on him?

2. Who was pulling the defensive strings after USC? 

3. Why would Mason hang around past the carousel and recruit if these issues were apparent in November? 

4. Is CBH really this big of a hard-@ss or is he just unbearable?

5. Is he just weeding out anyone that doesn't fit into his culture?

I want Harsin to succeed and have his guys running the program his way, but he's not doing himself any favors. If he isn't winning this year and the next, he's toast. If this year is a total implosion, which it could very well be, ADAG and CBH are both out the door by December. 

44 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The Harsin era feels like we’ve condensed a 10 year coaching tenure into 13 months.

I can’t disagree with that.  But I suppose if we’re honest with ourselves this “culture change” that we’ve heard so much about, was destined to be a very bumpy road.  I mean with Covid, NIL, transfer portal, Harsin not being familiar with the SE and the timing of his hire as it relates to recruiting.  It all screamed rough road ahead.  

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 2

Best case scenerio, Shmed is a bad azz d coordinator, he defense does wor this season, and he has no problem recruiting, because he has results.

Worse case scenerio, the defense turns as bad as the offense, all of our players leave, and Harsin gets canned. 

Im guessing it’ll be somewhere in the middle. Because that’s normally where Auburn sits. But there is a chance.

9 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

In light of this off-season, I have some questions:

1. Were Bobo and Mason chosen by CBH or were they forced on him?

2. Who was pulling the defensive strings after USC? 

3. Why would Mason hang around past the carousel and recruit if these issues were apparent in November? 

4. Is CBH really this big of a hard-@ss or is he just unbearable?

5. Is he just weeding out anyone that doesn't fit into his culture?

I want Harsin to succeed and have his guys running the program his way, but he's not doing himself any favors. If he isn't winning this year and the next, he's toast. If this year is a total implosion, which it could very well be, ADAG and CBH are both out the door by December. 

If I remember correctly, many on this forum indicated that the Harsin hire was free of any PTB influence. That Allen Green was in charge of this hire. I tend to believe that. Some of the chatter I have heard is that yella fella was not a fan of this hire and therefore took a hands off approach. Besides him and maybe Harbert, I am not sure who would have any influence over assistant coaches hiring. I tend to believe that Harsin was free to hire his staff to begin with and all decisions lay with him.

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

If you choose to see it that way, be my guest. Coaches come and go. It’s the way the business is.

*ETA- Yes, large scale upheaval is not good. However, I’m willing to give a new coach a little bit of time. He replaced two coaches and has had two leave for other jobs. 

Agree, Bama loses both coordinators all the time. It is always assumed that Saban has done it for the good of the program. Give it some time for ours to work through. Everybody knew our 2 were not around for long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:11 PM, Randman5000 said:

Mason wants more DBs?? Lol

If you look at Masons recruiting at Vandy it appeared there was always for emphasis on his side of the ball.