Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

14 minutes ago, wcware said:

Box and 1

I like the old triangle and two if ran properly. lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Coach Harsin's staff turnover and lack of OL/WR recruiting is distracting me from perhaps the best basketball season in AU history and an amazing start to the NCAA gymnastics season with an Olympic gold medalist on the squad. I would like for him and the potato gang to be boring for a while. Like Subarus and flannels kind of boring. Stop making the news. Big meet tonight, biggest game in AU Arena history tomorrow, and Gymnastics Iron Bowl next week! LFG

I’m certainly not distracted. We’re a basketball school now. However, I don’t recall anything like what we’re seeing with the staff turnover for a first year coach. It’s not like Harsin is laying out what his vision is for the program, at least in public. When he was hired, I thought we had made a great hire. Everything that has happened since leaves me baffled. I guess we’ll wait a couple of years and start looking for a new HC. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I’m certainly not distracted. We’re a basketball school now. However, I don’t recall anything like what we’re seeing with the staff turnover for a first year coach. It’s not like Harsin is laying out what his vision is for the program, at least in public. When he was hired, I thought we had made a great hire. Everything that has happened since leaves me baffled. I guess we’ll wait a couple of years and start looking for a new HC. 

OC turnover in last regime was normal.

29 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I like the old triangle and two if ran properly. lol 

well, we know people don't like the 2-3 zone. lol

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I don’t recall Gus firing two coordinators in his first year. Either way, Gus isn’t the bar we should be setting. I expect Harsin to do better than the guy we had to fire. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I keep hearing rumors that Schmed called the D for the Iron Bowl.  It did seem different and more aggressive than previous games but I don’t know enough X’s and O’s to make a qualified assessment.  

The fronts were more exotic and NFL styled but the base was still 3-4 but we were bringing 4 rushers every time in the Bama game with a zone behind them.  The fourth rusher was lining up all over the place and there was a couple of times where we actually had four guys on the line and two would drop into coverage with the two linebackers rushing forward to take their place in the pass rush.  We were trying to keep Bryce Young guessing as to where the zones were gonna be and where the rushers were gonna come from.  And it worked.  Young was confused for most of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Just sitting here waiting for others to come around to what I’ve been posting for months now…

I just wish I could get an apology from guys calling me a Gus fanatic just because I had trepidation about Harsin smh

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I don’t recall Gus firing two coordinators in his first year. Either way, Gus isn’t the bar we should be setting. I expect Harsin to do better than the guy we had to fire. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Let Harsin do his thing and get out of the way. If we aren't winning and looking like the program we should, recruiting is terrible, then things will take care of itself. His philosophy has gotten him to this point. No sense in changing it. We can talk adapting after... but for now, get on board or get the f out the way seems to be the pitch. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kinda surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.  I for one hope we go away from heavy zone concepts 

Yea I am with you on that to an extent. I just want a DC that mixes it up. Man, zone, Man -Zone combos, etc. I remember Saban's early Defenses at Bama were so difficult because they mixed up so much and did a great job of disguising what they were doing. 

• Like 2

One thing that a lot of us hoped around the first quadrant of the regular season, when the recruiting class was flailing a bit, was that Harsin was going to learn “soft skills”. If you’ve taken any type of management course, they dont have to lead your code of conduct, but they have to be prevalent. Your employees have to at least think you’re possible of giving compassion and understanding. 

I thought he didn’t display much of that with the way he handled the “scandal” about his status. I thought he had to have some to get Tank to come back, who’s a very emotional person as I understand. Point being, I think he really has to lean into the latter if we’re going to stabilize the ship 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I agree with this post. Was just bringing an example that came to mind of odd things happening in coaching. The stories behind the leaving on both of them aren’t a pretty picture but most thought it was for a short time. Not sure how anyone expected the separation to take place but this one worked about as usual. Saban loses his most every year. Not always to better jobs either.

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Let Harsin do his thing and get out of the way. If we aren't winning and looking like the program we should, recruiting is terrible, then things will take care of itself. His philosophy has gotten him to this point. No sense in changing it. We can talk adapting after... but for now, get on board or get the f out the way seems to be the pitch. 

I’m just not sure why he brought them in initially if they didn’t match his philosophy. If it was forced on him, then why is he able to make the change now after such a poor season? If it’s always been his choice, then I have some serious concerns about his ability to put together a coaching staff. Let’s see what he can put together this year, but I’ve got low expectations considering the shape of our OL and WR. The QB room isn’t giving warm feelings either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I’m just not sure why he brought them in initially if they didn’t match his philosophy. If it was forced on him, then why is he able to make the change now after such a poor season? If it’s always been his choice, then I have some serious concerns about his ability to put together a coaching staff. Let’s see what he can put together this year, but I’ve got low expectations considering the shape of our OL and WR. The QB room isn’t giving warm feelings either. 

Like it was posted previously, he hired them. Mason wanted out. He wasn't going to be here long term anyway by the looks of it. Hars seems to be intense and focused on winning so we'll have to get behind that next year. He seems to know the challenges. 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Especially when the HC kept flip flopping back & forth between "hands-on" to "hands-off and CEO" to "hands-on because offense if in my blood" to "hands-off and my OC will be unfettered" to "I'M CALLING THE OFFENSE!" to out the door with +$20million. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Probably over thought it, I’m sure he may have received advice about blending his staff with coaches familiar with the SEC, and took a chance on one former SEC head coach and one former SEC coordinator. It does not have to be a conspiracy, sometimes staffs just do not mesh together and this could have been the case with Bobo and Mason. I am thinking if he could rewind it, he may have brought in his own guys from the start. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

This staff has played close to the vest and been careful with communications. Yet the info about the new DC is out before Mason is officially gone. That just seems odd to me. 

Here is my 2 cents. I think Harsin told Mason to find other employment. Then he waited till Mason found another job, so it could look like he resigned instead of being fired..just my 2 cents

33 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea I am with you on that to an extent. I just want a DC that mixes it up. Man, zone, Man -Zone combos, etc. I remember Saban's early Defenses at Bama were so difficult because they mixed up so much and did a great job of disguising what they were doing. 

I've heard he's really aggressive. Loves to blitz, press, etc. May be complete bull so who knows. I'm definitely not qualified to make assessments on these things, but I may go watch some Boise defensive highlights when I get a chance

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, Tigerfinz said:

I just can't see why he would leave Auburn for Okie State...

Would you jump a ship on fire?

• Like 1

How many games did people want to fire Mason?? Lol vast majority. He never bought a home in Auburn and leaves for a 12 win Oklahoma State program and people say it's a bad look.  Jesus Christ, fan base has tourettes syndrome

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Just sitting here waiting for others to come around to what I’ve been posting for months now…

0A8523FC-2E7C-4B95-9C52-7041269C16D8.gif

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

How many games did people want to fire Mason?? Lol vast majority. He never bought a home in Auburn and leaves for a 12 win Oklahoma State program and people say it's a bad look.  Jesus Christ, fan base has tourettes syndrome

Nobody who knows anything about football wanted Mason gone. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I keep hearing rumors that Schmed called the D for the Iron Bowl.  It did seem different and more aggressive than previous games but I don’t know enough X’s and O’s to make a qualified assessment.  

Isn't it at least curious these rumors started right around the time Mason leaves? Almost like the staff wants to rewrite history to do damage control.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Wasn’t there a movie a few years back called “He’s just not that into you” that feels awfully familiar to our plight? 

Alright ptb we've been on the same page. But I genuinely do want CBH to succeed. You hearing any positive nuggets from Auburn rn? Any way we can turn this around? 

51 minutes ago, Viper said:

Would you jump a ship on fire?

Do you ever post things that are positive about Auburn football?