Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody who knows anything about football wanted Mason gone. 

Facts, I wanted Mason to stay.  Thought he had a good base, just needed to keep installing his scheme and coaching guys into it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

How many games did people want to fire Mason?? Lol vast majority. He never bought a home in Auburn and leaves for a 12 win Oklahoma State program and people say it's a bad look.  Jesus Christ, fan base has tourettes syndrome

For the record I never wanted to fire Mason after any of the games this season. Bobo on the other hand...

• Like 2

I will say that if the rumors are true about the playcalling during the Iron Bowl, losing Mason may not hurt so bad because I loved the exotic fronts we were using to fool Young. College defenses are notoriously basic, and one motion will bring out what the defense actually is in if they are even trying to hide it. Like, Steele wouldn't even try to hide what we were in. Just get the best athletes out there and say go get it boys, jump in man to man.  In the Bama game I swear we were utilizing the type of hidden fronts that you normally only see at the next level.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

I am starting to think that the GOBs and their connected minions are making a concerted effort to get rid of Harsin. 

Another thing.  During the season, tons of folks were fed up with Mason’s defense and wanted him gone.  Now that he is supposedly leaving, many of those same folks are blasting Harsin for Mason leaving.  Weird  

I was never impressed with Mason’s defense, but the UA game made me question my opinion for about 59 minutes.  However, when the chips were down with about 1 minute to go in the game, the D was just another failure.  

I will admit that the optics of Mason leaving are not good, but something needed to change on the D. 

Edited by Mike4AU
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I am starting to think that the GOBs and their connected minions are making a concerted effort to get rid of Harsin. 

Another thing.  During the season, tons of folks were fed up with Mason’s defense and wanted him gone.  Now that he is supposedly leaving, many of those same folks are blasting Harsin for Mason leaving.  Weird  

i was never impressed with Mason’s defense, but the UA game made me question my opinion for about 59 minutes.  However, when the chips were down with about 1 minute to go in the game, the D was just another failure.  

I will admit that the optics of Mason leaving are not good, but something needed to change on the D. 

How are GOBs making players and coaches leave? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Isn't it at least curious these rumors started right around the time Mason leaves? Almost like the staff wants to rewrite history to do damage control.

Nope they started before the game was even played. Poster on another board said the day after the South Carolina loss that Schmedding would be in charge for the iron bowl. That's the only reason I find it semi-plausible. I'd completely agree with you if it came out yesterday or right after the iron bowl

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am going to sit back and laugh my ass off if CBH pulls this off his way. Prove them wrong Harsin and co 

Oh I'm sure they'll find some way to kick me off if we start a bunch of blitzing and we get killed on D giving up big plays. Oh I'm going to laugh and bring up to the people that keep saying blitzing will fix everything.

And the dumb the assistant coach implemented an entire new defense that everybody learned and executed.....that's even better than the 13 drops and the wr's running around and nobody knew their route stuff

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Isn't it at least curious these rumors started right around the time Mason leaves? Almost like the staff wants to rewrite history to do damage control.

The rumor of somebody else calling or helping call the defense during the IB has been around for a while. I don't personally buy it but it definitely didn't pop up just recently.

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Nope they started before the game was even played. Poster on another board said the day after the South Carolina loss that Schmedding would be in charge for the iron bowl. That's the only reason I find it semi-plausible. I'd completely agree with you if it came out yesterday or right after the iron bowl

Well it definitely didn't gain prominence until now. I hadn't heard it at all until the Mason rumors started.

To be honest I didn't initially like the bend don't break defense Mason pitched. I have to admit as the season went on I came around because as somebody else pointed out earlier it is not how many yards you give up it is how many points. One of the things I liked about Steele and Garner was how they worked in the young players to help them develop and to keep starters fresh. I didn't see hardly any of that in D-Line. Bottom line even though I had issues with some things like bend don't break and rotation I have to admit that Mason put out a really good product and I am sorry to see him go. 

If as many have said that Harsin and Mason Football philosophy, or personality or something else didn't mesh then Mason had to go as Head Coach has to have everybody on the same page. I am not going to comment on the theory that Mason did or didn't call the defense in the IB it is irrelevant if they didn't have the same vision for the direction of the team. Of course it has bad optics and may initially hurt recruiting having Mason leave now but it would be worse if they butted heads for another year. 

I am waiting on a few things do we keep losing D talent or will the current coaches stop the bleeding, will D play well next year and finally what type of Defensive recruiting class will we get for 2023 (both HS, Portal we bring in, and Players we keep out of the Portal). That is how I will judge this defensive transition. 

My real concern is and has been for a while is the O-line what type product we will have on field next year, what recruiting we get for O-line in 2023 both HS and Portal. 

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I like the old triangle and two if ran properly. lol 

That’s great. You can be my DC in waiting. It shouldn’t take long.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Didba said:

I will say that if the rumors are true about the playcalling during the Iron Bowl, losing Mason may not hurt so bad because I loved the exotic fronts we were using to fool Young. College defenses are notoriously basic, and one motion will bring out what the defense actually is in if they are even trying to hide it. Like, Steele wouldn't even try to hide what we were in. Just get the best athletes out there and so go get it boys, jump in man to man.  In the Bama game I swear we were utilizing the type if hidden fronts that you normally only see at the next level.

Somehow we stymied the heisman trophy winner and their OC on most plays.  

This could be a really good thing. 

The MSU debacle will forever be part of my memory.  And I paid to fly there and see that mess.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well it definitely didn't gain prominence until now. I hadn't heard it at all until the Mason rumors started.

Same. Past couple of days was the first I had heard of it.  When the Bama game happened the general consensus I felt from guys that know scheme was that Mason finally felt comfortable calling the more exotic fronts out of his base defense because he had confidence the players would line up correctly after so much installing.  One thing about exotic fronts, if you have one player line up incorrectly or drop into zone when he was supposed to rush the passer... it ends up in a big play for the Offense.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Somehow we stymied the heisman trophy winner and their OC on most plays.  

This could be a really good thing. 

The MSU debacle will forever be part of my memory.  And I paid to fly there and see that mess.

I am sorry for your financial and spiritual loss due to that game.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nurbis said:

The rumor of somebody else calling or helping call the defense during the IB has been around for a while. I don't personally buy it but it definitely didn't pop up just recently.

Some on here think that notion is ridiculous..  I don't BTW

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

To be honest I didn't initially like the bend don't break defense Mason pitched. I have to admit as the season went on I came around because as somebody else pointed out earlier it is not how many yards you give up it is how many points. One of the things I liked about Steele and Garner was how they worked in the young players to help them develop and to keep starters fresh. I didn't see hardly any of that in D-Line. Bottom line even though I had issues with some things like bend don't break and rotation I have to admit that Mason put out a really good product and I am sorry to see him go. 

My real concern is and has been for a while is the O-line what type product we will have on field next year, what recruiting we get for O-line in 2023 both HS and Portal. 

I have to believe if we had rotated some players more, to develop them, we could have held onto a couple that transferred that we really want/need for 2023:  Height and Hunter come to mind.

The numbers support the defense did it's job most nearly every game (score wise), but if the coaching staff isn't on the same sheet of music - MOVE ON and get there!

Yes there were exceptions and some inexcusable break downs.   But you know what - there is enough mistakes at all levels to throw mud.  

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Add @atl-tiger to the Gold Donor list!

Not to hijack this thread but @autigeremt and @CCTAU also made donations today.  I’m very thankful for all of you have stepped up to the plate and donated - even if it took a DC jumping ship to give me a reason to ask again! :) 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Didba said:

Do you ever post things that are positive about Auburn football?

Why does what I opine on matter SO much to you? Is your last name Marshall or Harsin?

6 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Leaving this here

E84570C2-545F-488B-8CB8-14FC9B54F184.jpeg

Not a big fan of this dude. My experience is he is like most twitter fan-icons, a loud mouth who doesn't actually know anything about the game. 

No Auburn fan with any objectivity can say that the past few months have been anything short of awful. If we were "mentally WEAK" we wouldn't care. We'd just accept it. But part of being "DIE HARD" is expecting Auburn to succeed, and not taking no for an answer. 

As has been stating innumerable times - sharing your opinion on what's happening in the program and supporting the program aren't mutually exclusive. 

Ironically, guys like "@Mane_Eazy" (lmao) need to toughen up and let other people have opinions. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

I don’t recall Gus firing two coordinators in his first year. Either way, Gus isn’t the bar we should be setting. I expect Harsin to do better than the guy we had to fire. 

Gus should have! Ellis Johnson sucked and should have never been hired!  

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Not a big fan of this dude. My experience is he is like most twitter fan-icons, a loud mouth who doesn't actually know anything about the game. 

No Auburn fan with any objectivity can say that the past few months have been anything short of awful. If we were "mentally WEAK" we wouldn't care. We'd just accept it. But part of being "DIE HARD" is expecting Auburn to succeed, and not taking no for an answer. 

As has been stating innumerable times - sharing your opinion on what's happening in the program and supporting the program aren't mutually exclusive. 

Ironically, guys like "@Mane_Eazy" (lmao) need to toughen up and let other people have opinions. 

I will go out and say there’s plenty on here that are extremely week minded to the point it’s mentally exhausting reading through posts. Guess I need to “toughen up”

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Why does what I opine on matter SO much to you? Is your last name Marshall or Harsin?

It doesn't matter to me at all, your opinions are highly irrelevant, your constant negativity just gets old fast.  

Sheeeeeet, I wish my last name was Harsin then I wouldn't have to be grinding so hard for this law degree to support the wife when I could just get a nice bag from Papa Harsin.

Marshall, as in PM of Auburn Undercover? Gross man, don't even wish  that disgustingness on your worst enemies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Leaving this here

E84570C2-545F-488B-8CB8-14FC9B54F184.jpeg

I miss the days when “process” and “culture” didn’t take the place of wins and losses, or selling your program, or making the game fun. (See Bruce Pearl)

• Like 2