Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right? It is like wouldn't this have come out much earlier? Everything seems to be so reactive with our group.

How do we know he turned down aTm? May have never got an offer.

10 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Whoever schemed up the defense for the IB, I want that person to coach the defense. I don't care who it is. I liked that aggressiveness. If Mason wasn't the architect for that then let him go to Okie State. 

I've never heard the rumor that Mason wasn't the DC for the Iron Bowl.  That seems like some revisionist history spin to make everyone feel better

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Hard to say if this is something to worry about or not. The national media hits Auburn so much who knows? 

Just saw a report from a Tulsa newspaper that Mason was on Stillwater last week. He is as good as gone. If he was all AU, he should be on the road recruiting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I thought some of this was being corrected when Harsin was hired.

some things never change. maybe pass the biscuits or wde can clarify things better but this is the way i feel. we have always had power brokers fighting over stuff in the background and sometimes it is for the good and sometimes it is detrimental to us. as far as that stuff being corrected with harsin i have no idea. i do know he has a guy the boosters,etc, have to go through so he can supposedly concentrate on rebuilding auburn with as little interference as possible. i just think if we fix our own house we solve most of our problems. if we gave complete control so to speak to kirby like jawja dis and bama did with saban we build a monster but we cannot get out of our own way.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

some things never change. maybe pass the biscuits or wde can clarify things better but this is the way i feel. we have always had power brokers fighting over stuff in the background and sometimes it is for the good and sometimes it is detrimental to us. as far as that stuff being corrected with harsin i have no idea. i do know he has a guy the boosters,etc, have to go through so he can supposedly concentrate on rebuilding auburn with as little interference as possible. i just think if we fix our own house we solve most of our problems. if we gave complete control so to speak to kirby like jawja dis and bama did with saban we build a monster but we cannot get out of our own way.

Geez, you guys surely jump to outrageous conclusions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, au302 said:

A poster on another board after the Scar loss said that Schmedding was basically going to be the DC for the IB. Laughed it off until I watched the IB. Still probably not true, but has had me thinking since then

Dumb stuff like this is why if he does leave we get what we deserve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Geez, you guys surely jump to outrageous conclusions.

why? they have been doing it for years.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

How do we know he turned down aTm? May have never got an offer.

We don’t know it’s my point. It’s a rumor like this one 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Dumb stuff like this is why if he does leave we get what we deserve

Fortunately for us and every fanbase in the world, idiot fan comments don't effect anything.  Extremely fortunate for us. Ha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Does make u wonder. We saw schemes in the IB we hadn't seen all year

All I know that was hands down best defensive performance all year & I agree. Looked like a completely different D, in a good way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Which recruits did he play a big role in landing? I don’t remember him being mentioned a lot on the recruiting front. Not saying he didn’t have a big impact, I just don’t remember hearing his specific impact as much as I expected. 

I was under the assumption that most of the defensive players came because of him, but could be wrong. Got some great Juco players and built depth with transfers.

Also he was all over the country recruiting according to photos by Auburn's social media.

Maybe he wasn't a factor, I just assumed he was. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just saw a report from a Tulsa newspaper that Mason was on Stillwater last week. He is as good as gone. If he was all AU, he should be on the road recruiting.

Maybe he was in Stillwater recruiting.

• Haha 1

We want to attract upwardly mobile assistants and should understand when they leave AU for BETTER situations, but Ok State aint that. Part of Harsins job is to convince key players to stay (like he did with Tank) and keep coaches he wants from jumping ship for lateral (at best) moves. 

I think lots of people don't get how defense has changed. What Georgia did this year is just off the map. A few years back I got to talk with a G5 defensive coordinator. You basically don't try to shut down teams anymore. You have to disrupt them: sacks, turnovers, penalties, and so on. And you know you're gonna give up points. 40 total PPG was average in 2000. That would have been 58 or 60 last year, based on what teams scored. That number is consistent with the past few years.

The other thing is, Auburn's offense has had trouble against good defenses for several years largely due to marginal OL and sketchy QB play. That puts enormous pressure on a defense, which will break down. The A&M game would be a prime example, but you could add State, Carolina, and Alabama to the list.

I think Mason is doing a terrific job, and that's why he's desirable.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just curious. Why did u thing this post was dumb

Why would the defensive coach would randomly not coach?

What different schemes did you see?

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

All I know that was hands down best defensive performance all year & I agree. Looked like a completely different D, in a good way.

Crazy what happens when you try to pressure the qb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Some of you really don't need to be on Twitter and stuff. You guys believe anything. 

And of course the one game he doesn’t coach is our best defensive game, yet other schools have rumored to show interest in him. Logic is gone. 

• Like 2