Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

And of course the one game he doesn’t coach is our best defensive game, yet other schools have rumored to show interest in him. Logic is gone. 

It's rumored Mason took over play calling on the last drive.  FAHR HIM

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why would the defensive coach would randomly not coach?

What different schemes did you see?

Go watch 2nd half Miss St . Then watch Iron Bowl . Was like daylight and dark. Not saying he didn't coach . Maybe more input from assist coaches.... perhaps ALOT of input

• Like 2

Jay Tate, Who never seems to know s***, said last night it was probably just a ploy to get money.

Well, now he's claiming Mason is very seriously considering leaving Auburn, but don't worry Tate has been informed of Harsin's contingency plan (which he will not share lmao)

I’m not buying every rumor that flies through until I see proof. Mason leaving would cause concern for me just because I think we need stability to build. Many here have been against Harsins Boise boys but I’m about ready to see him just bring in all his guys and do it his way to see some stability in staff. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why would the defensive coach would randomly not coach?

What different schemes did you see?

I’ve heard a lot of rumors about this from different places…maybe it all traces back to one internet “insider”, maybe not.  There’s often a kernel of truth in these things.  It could be as simple as Harsin telling Mason that Schmedding has some new ideas for bama that he wants him to implement…maybe Mason disagrees or he gets offended, who knows.  But that’s how this scenario could’ve  played out…and then internet rumor blows it out of proportion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I’m not buying every rumor that flies through until I see proof. Mason leaving would cause concern for me just because I think we need stability to build. Many here have been against Harsins Boise boys but I’m about ready to see him just bring in all his guys and do it his way to see some stability in staff. 

i agree. all the coaches agreed to be here three years i think? and unless harsin and mason did not get along why would he leave the sec which he claims to love for okie state? coming from my own personal experience some folks need some prozac to help them calm down some. unless you have hoobie then smoke that instead.........

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

it seems to me like after we won the natty we just cannot get out of our on way.we want to blame the red elephant clubs or jawja folks or whatever when most times we just need to look inward. how many times have you ever read where our money folks connected to sports are on the same page? do we blame leath on bama? good grief. looking back it is a miracle we got bruce and word was some wanted him gone but look at the joy and the positivity he has brought. we are responsible for our own failures and the sooner we look inward and fix it and quit blaming others the better off we will be. i know this will not be popular but sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

We got Bruce because PTB at Auburn didn’t really care about basketball. Let’s be real. Same reason we won’t ever get a basketball only facility or better facilities for our BBall guys. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Go watch 2nd half Miss St . Then watch Iron Bowl . Was like daylight and dark. Not saying he didn't coach . Maybe more input from assist coaches.... perhaps ALOT of input

What input? Miss st ran no huddle. Our offense couldn't get first downs they got gassed. We don't have depth on the D line. Do you know how crazy it is to suggest a coach just gave up coaching? 

It's not madden. It's not a simple button push. If they implemented new stuff they would have to practice it. 

And why can't it be he just made his own adjustments? Maybe he was familiar to what he played. It's just silly to suggest the stuff you guys are saying

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I’ve heard a lot of rumors about this from different places…maybe it all traces back to one internet “insider”, maybe not.  There’s often a kernel of truth in these things.  It could be as simple as Harsin telling Mason that Schmedding has some new ideas for bama that he wants him to implement…maybe Mason disagrees or he gets offended, who knows.  But that’s how this scenario could’ve  played out…and then internet rumor blows it out of proportion.

Yours is not a rumor, just a supposition ( can’t even trace it back to rumor). One of things we’ve heard fairly constant is that at the discussion table all opinions are accepted. No egos in the room.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So you tell the coach to not coach but expect to move forward with him? And once again wouldn't there be some type of difference in the coaching? You guys are looking at results and coming to conclusions. And if you think it out it doesn't make sense. 

A guy can fine tune his defense better than him. The head coach waits for the bammer game to give the defense to this other guy. If that was the case and it was so successful then why not fire the DC? 

These aren't even good rumors. What we do know is our fan base ran with completely untrue rumors even AFTER they were shown to be false. So you know they will run with the dumb stuff that can't be proven.

What we got.....hey man look how the D looked at miss st and look how it looked against bammer! Nobody thinking about a completely different style of offense, the pace of the game, the success of our offense, are there different tendencies, is it a different scheme, different players.....message board 3 linemen! If you have 4 everything would be fixed! This game we used 4 linemen! Must be a new coach! 

If you go back and look we used 4 linemen against miss st as well and it a couple of times it worked, and many times it literally gave up touchdowns as well

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

And of course the one game he doesn’t coach is our best defensive game, yet other schools have rumored to show interest in him. Logic is gone. 

I know right. Kill the guy and when something goes good give the credit to someone else 😂

• Like 1

What about the simple it was a brand new offense and defense as we played more guys got better because they understood better and became more experienced?

Nope couldn't be that right? 

• Like 4

I'm chalking this up to rumor mill crap until I see something really happen. Maybe some insiders did not like Masons D and are starting rumors to sow discontent? Not sure but i know that it makes zero sense for Mason to suddenly be unhappy now unless there is a disagreement on who to hire as the DL coach. 

Just now, cole256 said:

What about the simple it was a brand new offense and defense as we played more guys got better because they understood better and became more experienced?

Nope couldn't be that right? 

that's definitely not it.  Just like the WRs only got better b/c of a new coach, not their experience went from 0 to 12 as the season went on.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

that's definitely not it.  Just like the WRs only got better b/c of a new coach, not their experience went from 0 to 12 as the season went on.

Lol not enough tin foil involved. My favorite about the wr's was how the coach tapped into their inner Zen of peace and belief of themselves in the two weeks he had took over. And the next game they all sucked again the coach just needs some time to teach them 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The only thing that worries me is pegues leaving and the talks of Hunter thinking about it.....did they know something?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol not enough tin foil involved. My favorite about the wr's was how the coach tapped into their inner Zen of peace and belief of themselves in the two weeks he had took over. And the next game they all sucked again the coach just needs some time to teach them 😂😂😂

I guess he forgot to teach catching for the bowl game.  

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

The only thing that worries me is pegues leaving and the talks of Hunter thinking about it.....did they know something?

I feel like some of these guys are legacy Gus guys.  Hunter is rumored to go to UCF, Pegues apparently wanted to leave when Harsin was hired and went home.

I'm the first one to be negative in a lot of way, but Hunter/JJ don't worry me too much.

Let's be honest with ourselves and not act like CDM's defense crushed it this year.   According to ESPN SEC Team Total Defense Stats, for the year, AU finished 8th in the conference in yards given up per game 369.8 (SEC bottom half).  We were just 2.4 yards per game, from finishing 10th 372.2 (bottom third) ahead of Tenn, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy.  Would any of us claim those numbers to be a resounding success?  How many times has Auburn ever given up 33 points in the second half at JHS.   How many times has auburn ever allowed 6 passing touchdowns in JHS.   When has Auburn ever allowed an opposing QB to have an 80% completion rate (44 of 55) when throwing over 50 passes in JHS.  When has an opposing team ever accumulated 31 first downs in JHS.     Continuing to rush 3 and getting absolutely carved up at home against State was coaching malpractice.   That was our fourth loss and we would not win another game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I feel like some of these guys are legacy Gus guys.  Hunter is rumored to go to UCF, Pegues apparently wanted to leave when Harsin was hired and went home.

I'm the first one to be negative in a lot of way, but Hunter/JJ don't worry me too much.

Could be. But you rarely have guys leave that are actually set up to have the playing time. But maybe it's nothing or maybe it actually sucks to be in this program as far as having any fun. 

Just now, LPTiger said:

Let's be honest with ourselves and not act like CDM's defense crushed it this year.   According to ESPN SEC Team Total Defense Stats, for the year, AU finished 8th in the conference in yards given up per game 369.8 (SEC bottom half).  We were just 2.4 yards per game, from finishing 10th 372.2 (bottom third) ahead of Tenn, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy.  Would any of us claim those numbers to be a resounding success?  How many times has Auburn ever given up 33 points in the second half at JHS.   How many times has auburn ever allowed 6 passing touchdowns in JHS.   When has Auburn ever allowed an opposing QB to have an 80% completion rate (44 of 55) when throwing over 50 passes in JHS.  When has an opposing team ever accumulated 31 first downs in JHS.     Continuing to rush 3 and getting absolutely carved up at home against State was coaching malpractice.   That was our fourth loss and we would not win another game.

Good stuff 👍🏾

• Like 1