Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What new was put in? What did you see that you NEVER saw us do before?

Pressure of the QB , blitzing, disguising coverages. In contrast to Miss St rushing 3 the whole game.. Come on Cole, u had to see a different game plan

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If they have to start over and learn a new defense.....bye bye

Schmedding and Watts are both former DCs, so there would be more consistency than usual during the turnover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s got to be tough for Mason to be an assistant coach again. He’s been a head coach and had a taste of being in charge. It could be hard on him to not be the boss. Having been in Harsin’s shoes, he may have strong opinions on how the program should be run. Maybe he sees more opportunity to move back into a head coaching position from another program not in the SEC.

I had a employee that was promoted into a management position. He was unhappy having to manage other people so went back to his previous position. Then he wasn’t happy with the way the new manager handled things and eventually left the company. The fact he had no power to change his boss after he had been there was too much for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

If Mason wants out, it doesn’t make sense to say it’s because of his working relationship with Harsin or he would have left sooner.

If Mason wants out, my guess is that it’s connected to the DL coaching search. 

I don't understand the logic of this.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Could be. But you rarely have guys leave that are actually set up to have the playing time. But maybe it's nothing or maybe it actually sucks to be in this program as far as having any fun. 

I think JJ fits into this a little bit.  Hunter has been dogged by a lot of ppl most of the year and his name has been rumored since early December.

55 minutes ago, cbo said:

Why did you go with yards instead of points allowed?

I do agree that he did it where it matters, in the points column...but I do believe there is correlation between yards and pts scored.  The yards is concerning.  I hope there isn't some swing back to the mean

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don't understand the logic of this.

He worked with Harsin all season. Why not search for a job when the season ended? 
What has changed since the end of the season?

We’re searching for a DL coach.

Perhaps Harsin is going in a direction that Mason doesn’t agree with concerning the new DL coach. 
So now he’s (allegedly) actively looking for a different place to work.

If it was purely based on his working relationship, he would have been hired elsewhere soon after the end of the season 

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 1

For me I think we are really missing the mark if all of this is true.  The question should be, why is Harsin meddling with Mason and his scheme in the first place?  Why is he butting heads in the first place?  He should have left Mason alone.  After all, our defense was not the problem last year, it was Harsin/Bobo's offense.  The problem in recruiting right now is not defensive recruiting, it is the offensive recruiting.

As much as people have disliked Gus, we can at least all agree he left his DC's alone.  Kevin Steele had full control of his defense, and hired his own guys.  Harsin needs to follow suit.  I mean, look at the defensive coaches we currently have.  Some of those are Boise guys so Mason couldn't even bring in his own guys.  Mason has earned that respect with his pedigree.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Pressure of the QB , blitzing, disguising coverages. In contrast to Miss St rushing 3 the whole game.. Come on Cole, u had to see a different game plan

Will you please stop referring to miss st as if that's the only game that was played? First of we tried disguising coverages thru out the miss st game that in itself just proves my point to how you aren't looking at the strategy involved to even invoke the rumour it wasn't him you are going off of results. 

secondly I can literally show you two different touchdowns in the miss st game where we were blitzing. 

third there were plays where we did rush 4 in the miss st game but we did it more the bammer game but that has more to do playing a different offense and depth more than anything. 

But whatever you want to believe. If you want to believe that the iron bowl they said hey asst coach you take over! He did a great job and then said great job but we still want to keep the guy that can't coach. Believe that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Will you please stop referring to miss st as if that's the only game that was played? First of we tried disguising coverages thru out the miss st game that in itself just proves my point to how you aren't looking at the strategy involved to even invoke the rumour it wasn't him you are going off of results. 

secondly I can literally show you two different touchdowns in the miss st game where we were blitzing. 

third there were plays where we did rush 4 in the miss st game but we did it more the bammer game but that has more to do playing a different offense and depth more than anything. 

But whatever you want to believe. If you want to believe that the iron bowl they said hey asst coach you take over! He did a great job and then said great job but we still want to keep the guy that can't coach. Believe that. 

I give up. U win

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I give up. U win

Lol ok. You think it was somebody else because the defense actually worked. Got it

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Lol ok. You think it was somebody else because the defense actually worked. Got it

Changing the subject.. if the rumors are true, why do u thing Mason is looking to leave

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Changing the subject.. if the rumors are true, why do u thing Mason is looking to leave

Nobody will know

@cole256 rumored Zykeivous Walker is another one about to leave.  IDK if he had a path to playing time, he seemed to fall off the depth chart.  I know we need others to leave to get in line with the 85, but he was one of my fav guys going last year

• Sad 1

I have no idea if Mason is considering leaving or not but I know that once his name appeared for one job, he will be linked to most of the others that at least equal or better to first one. They mostly don’t have a clue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I have no idea if Mason is considering leaving or not but I know that once his name appeared for one job, he will be linked to most of the others that at least equal or better to first one. They mostly don’t have a clue.

The thing that just doesn’t make sense to me is the rumor about Texas A&M. I have a hard time believing this one based on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

At the end of the day, when it is rumored a coach is unhappy, why do we immediately believe (1) Harsin is the cause for the unhappiness and (2) what ever Harsin did to cause it was unjustified.     It is concerning that some have such quick triggers and so little faith and confidence in the person leading our program. 

It may not be completely fair, but Harsin is the boss...he's the CEO...he hired these guys. If our major coaches are either being fired or looking for an exit after only one season, that doesn't create an amazing impression. 

No use in taking other coaches sides over our own head coaches though. Harsin is our head coach and its in auburn's best interest that he succeed. If Mason leaves then so be it. I hope Harsin makes a great hire thats good in recruiting and will work well with the staff. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

@cole256 rumored Zykeivous Walker is another one about to leave.  IDK if he had a path to playing time, he seemed to fall off the depth chart.  I know we need others to leave to get in line with the 85, but he was one of my fav guys going last year

He was dealing with injuries a lot this year.  If he was not injured, I think he would have had a breakout year like Wooden did.  He was our highest graded DL when he did play. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It may not be completely fair, but Harsin is the boss...he's the CEO...he hired these guys. If our major coaches are either being fired or looking for an exit after only one season, that doesn't create an amazing impression. 

No use in taking other coaches sides over our own head coaches though. Harsin is our head coach and its in auburn's best interest that he succeed. If Mason leaves then so be it. I hope Harsin makes a great hire thats good in recruiting and will work well with the staff. 

There are different ways to be a leader though it can’t always be my way or the highway. Not saying the coach is wrong but there are ways to evolve without compromising ur values. If coaches are constantly being fired or leaving from a perception standpoint how does that look.

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

He worked with Harsin all season. Why not search for a job when the season ended? 
What has changed since the end of the season?

We’re searching for a DL coach.

Perhaps Harsin is going in a direction that Mason doesn’t agree with concerning the new DL coach. 
So now he’s (allegedly) actively looking for a different place to work.

If it was purely based on his working relationship, he would have been hired elsewhere soon after the end of the season 

The DL might be the straw that broke the camel's back but it makes no sense a coach would be so appalled by a HC's defensive line coach search that he would up and leave. Much more at play than that. 

21 minutes ago, e808 said:

There are different ways to be a leader though it can’t always be my way or the highway. Not saying the coach is wrong but there are ways to evolve without compromising ur values. If coaches are constantly being fired or leaving from a perception standpoint how does that look.

I agree. 

That's why it's so vitally important that Harsins new hires this offseason are right on the money. Got to have some consistency and stability on staff for culture, recruiting, and player retention. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1