Was Wendell Green a steal or what?

boisnumber1

Agreed on the steal. I can't imagine anyone expected him to be this good this quickly. It took McCormick almost a full year before he was able to play at the SEC level. I would actually have a hard time over picking who was the most important transfer. I think KD, Green, and Kessler all could lay claim to the title. Amazingly impressive how well we did with the transfer portal this past season. Every single one had contributed in big ways. 

• Like 2

Jasper has also had some big contributions but not quite at the level of the three you mentioned. Amazing that we lost so many players from last year yet this years team is much better.  We picked up a world of talent, but huge credit has to go to CBP and his staff.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, autan said:

Jasper has also had some big contributions but not quite at the level of the three you mentioned. Amazing that we lost so many players from last year yet this years team is much better.  We picked up a world of talent, but huge credit has to go to CBP and his staff.

Yeah, Zep just isnt putting up massive offensive numbers. His contribution on the defensive end has been second to none though. It's so impressive how many offensive sets are being forced out to the logo and are starting disjointed because our guards are stretching it out. He has also taken care of the ball on the offensive end.

As someone said earlier, our transfers have all been major contributors, and that just some good scouting.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Yeah, Zep just isnt putting up massive offensive numbers. His contribution on the defensive end has been second to none though. It's so impressive how many offensive sets are being forced out to the logo and are starting disjointed because our guards are stretching it out. He has also taken care of the ball on the offensive end.

As someone said earlier, our transfers have all been major contributors, and that just some good scouting.

Does Zep start over Green strictly to exhaust the other teams' guards before Green comes into the game?  Zep's energy is unreal.

2 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

Does Zep start over Green strictly to exhaust the other teams' guards before Green comes into the game?  Zep's energy is unreal.

I dont know if it's the main purpose, but it's definitely a byproduct. And the end result is demoralizing because you cant score on the 1 guard and no one is stopping the "backup". Btw, you cant ignore anyone on the court because there are legitimately 3-4 true scoring threats on the court at any time. Just because Zep hasnt gone off for 25 doesnt mean he's incapable. When his shot is on he can be dangerous flashing over top of that Kessler pick

48 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

I think he starts because we need an offensive scorer on the 2nd team. Zep doesn't have to force shots or try to be "the guy" on offense when he's starting alongside Jabari, Kessler, and KD. This allows him to exert more energy and focus on the defensive side of the ball which he excels at. And allows Green to come in and be that instant spark off the bench.

• Like 1

He certainly was! This roster is very impressive. The way Bruce uses them is as well. There’s several who deserve more minutes but none who deserve less. Good problem to have. 

• Like 1

I know next to nothing about basketball on a good day, did I hear the announcers right that he was a UGA legacy (father and brother) and Bruce still pulled him to Auburn?

7 hours ago, selias said:

I know next to nothing about basketball on a good day, did I hear the announcers right that he was a UGA legacy (father and brother) and Bruce still pulled him to Auburn?

You're thinking of Walker Kessler. His dad, brother and uncle all played for uga. 

Walker was recruited by Auburn out of HS, but went to UNC. After a year with UNC, he entered the transfer portal and came to Auburn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

You're thinking of Walker Kessler. His dad, brother and uncle all played for uga. 

Walker was recruited by Auburn out of HS, but went to UNC. After a year with UNC, he entered the transfer portal and came to Auburn.

Thanks. Like I said, I know next to nothing about basketball and rarely (if ever) watch it.

7 hours ago, selias said:

Thanks. Like I said, I know next to nothing about basketball and rarely (if ever) watch it.

Time to jump on board my friend. We rollin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Time to jump on board my friend. We rollin. 

We back up 🤣

To the OP- insane value comming from seemingly under the radar, everywhere on this team- Wendell in particular

• Like 1