Jimmy Brumbough: Hired as New Dlinemen Coach

toddc

16 minutes ago, cbo said:

One move that would actually unite the board. 

You give people here FAR too much credit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I hope Jimmy shuts a lot of doubters down.

Hires always seem like they can go all different ways.  Bobo/Mason were a disaster when most thought them to be Okayish and home run, respectively.   Coming home could help him a lot.  Might be familiarity, something he believes in, etc.

• Like 1

I’ve only heard good things about CJB since he’s been here.   

Can anyone explain why CWF is still here?   As he’s proven, HCBH isn’t afraid to fire someone in a minute.   So why hasn’t he canned CWF.   There has to be something about him that he likes…..🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Can anyone explain why CWF is still here?   As he’s proven, HCBH isn’t afraid to fire someone in a minute.   So why hasn’t he canned CWF.   There has to be something about him that he likes…..🤷‍♂️

I’ve wondered the same. Most thought he was a dead man walking with Bobo being let go. 

9 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

#1 he believes in Harsin and his vision.  

#2 His players are improving and working hard, it is not his fault the players he inherited have limited ceilings

#3. Will and AOLC Joe Bernardi have developed a great working relationship and are making waves at this point on the recruiting trail.  They still gotta seal the deal, but they are doing some work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

#1 he believes in Harsin and his vision.  

#2 His players are improving and working hard, it is not his fault the players he inherited have limited ceilings

#3. Will and AOLC Joe Bernardi have developed a great working relationship and are making waves at this point on the recruiting trail.  They still gotta seal the deal, but they are doing some work.

Thank you for your explanation!

#1 - this has to be true, but even more importantly, HCBH must also believe in him.   
#2 - Also true.   Everyone knew CWF had limited talent to work with when he arrived. Although he isn’t known as much as a developer, his guys at least want it.   So, that’s something…..

Which leads us to #3 - We had a serious lack of talent on the OL due to the last staff’s horrendous mismanagement of the position.   My understanding was we hired CWF as a top recruiter to increase the talent level at the position ASAP!!!   His first full cycle with HS recruiting was a C- at best (severely lacked the numbers we needed to pick up), and in the OL portal we got an F.   The conversations and visits are great, but we’ve got to get several of these kids signed!!!

As I stated in #1, apparently HCBH believes in him. So he must be doing some things right and up to a satisfactory level.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

#1 - this has to be true, but even more importantly, HCBH must also believe in him.  

Agreed. To my knowledge, CWF didn't have dream offers like Oklahoma State rolling in, so I think maybe the more significant belief and trust is on Harsin's side. 

Harsin did a good job keeping Etheridge by giving him a new title, but I'm not sure the sharks were circling for any of the rest. Hopefully that's different come December. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Thank you for your explanation!

#2 - Also true.   Everyone knew CWF had limited talent to work with when he arrived. Although he isn’t known as much as a developer, his guys at least want it.   So, that’s something…..

Which leads us to #3 - We had a serious lack of talent on the OL due to the last staff’s horrendous mismanagement of the position.   My understanding was we hired CWF as a top recruiter to increase the talent level at the position ASAP!!!   His first full cycle with HS recruiting was a C- at best (severely lacked the numbers we needed to pick up), and in the OL portal we got an F.   The conversations and visits are great, but we’ve got to get several of these kids signed!!!

As I stated in #1, apparently HCBH believes in him. So he must be doing some things right and up to a satisfactory level.  

I think the outcome of the 2023 O-line class HS and  Portal will determine if he stays may also go a long way to determine Harsin's status. With the work I am seeing I am feeling better but until it closes who knows. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*Sorry, the sharks did circle the DL coach and they got him. 

I don’t know about sharks getting him, he got called home to a good program, just like we got Garner to come home. To say the sharks came after him and got him is just a little disingenuous 

52 minutes ago, provibe said:

I don’t know about sharks getting him, he got called home to a good program, just like we got Garner to come home. To say the sharks came after him and got him is just a little disingenuous 

What's disingenuous about it? What's even remotely contentious about it?

Dabo wanted our guy and took him. Yes, it was his alma mater, but it doesn't mean that a shark- Dabo- didn't circle- want our guy- and get him.

The only reason I added that qualifier was to acknowledge a good hire that Harsin made in Eason, because my previous post could have been interpreted as me saying that nobody wanted to hire any of our guys after last year. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What's disingenuous about it? What's even remotely contentious about it?

Dabo wanted our guy and took him. Yes, it was his alma mater, but it doesn't mean that a shark- Dabo- didn't circle- want our guy- and get him.

The only reason I added that qualifier was to acknowledge a good hire that Harsin made in Eason, because my previous post could have been interpreted as me saying that nobody wanted to hire any of our guys after last year. 

I interpreted it to say that WF couldn’t or didn’t get a good offer like Mason did, but after rereading, I agree that wasn’t a dream offer. However, I don’t think Dabo nor any other “shark” could have come in and scooped Eason away from Auburn had it not been his alma mater and you left that part out. 

1 hour ago, provibe said:

I interpreted it to say that WF couldn’t or didn’t get a good offer like Mason did, but after rereading, I agree that wasn’t a dream offer. However, I don’t think Dabo nor any other “shark” could have come in and scooped Eason away from Auburn had it not been his alma mater and you left that part out. 

Because that part wasn't important. The important part, with regards to my post, is that Eason was a desired commodity. 

Again, my post wasn't about Harsin's ability to retain his staff. It was the opposite. It was about how desirable his staff was to other coaches. Eason was. Friend... eh...

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:41 PM, bigbird said:

I hope Jimmy shuts a lot of doubters down.

How do you like him as a DL coach?  How does he compare to Eason in your opinion (upgrade, downgrade, wash)?

On 4/21/2022 at 9:05 PM, AUinMS9528 said:

Let me say this too. He is playing the long game this recruiting cycle. What do I mean? Well, we could've taken more HS guys back in the winter. The problem was that they were major developmental projects like Anez Cooper. Guys that need 3 years to get an SEC body, and even after that, may not be better than what we got. Friend and Harsin decided to hold the spots. Thus, I am intently watching to see how they play this out. I personally think he will look smart if it results in landing 1-2 portal guys this summer who have a few years left, and who he can put on a developmental plan for '23

If we don't add anyone, I would say it's not good. At that point, if they are still employed in December, he would be banking on his developmental skills of Harris/Wright/Smith combined with a major recruiting haul next winter with both HS and portal guys that can start right away

• Like 2

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

How do you like him as a DL coach?  How does he compare to Eason in your opinion (upgrade, downgrade, wash)?

At this point I'd have to say downgrade, but a whole lot too soon to tell, IMO

I loved Eason's experience and relatability. He knew what it took to be a pro, but more importantly, stay a pro.  

Jimmy hasn't necessarily had the same successes as Eason, but he seems to be a bit renewed here and the players and recruits seem to be responding to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, au302 said:

...he would be banking on his developmental skills of Harris/Wright/Smith ...

And Langlo, Jernigan, and Johnson.

We have a core of younger guys that could be good. The recruitment of the super seniors allowed us an extra year to develope those younger guys more fully. If not, we'd have a line full of TFr, RFR, and Sophomores with little to no depth backing them up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

We had a serious lack of talent on the OL due to the last staff’s horrendous mismanagement of the position.

Uh oh.

Now you've gone and started something.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, au302 said:

I personally think he will look smart if it results in landing 1-2 portal guys this summer

As the NCAA ruling stands now, we have two "use 'em or lose 'em" slots left under the 2022 annual limit. (We had seven special transfer slots, have filled five so far). There are also five normal slots remaining that can be used for transfers, highschool/JUCO guys or simply held over for early enrolees in the '23 class. So there are seven that can be filled this cycle if that many can be enticed to come to AU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

And Langlo, Jernigan, and Johnson.

Forgot about Langlo, he should be a good one. I got Irvin/Stutts/Jernigan/Johnson in my "bonus" category. Not banking on them to ever start, but would be pleasant surprises if they do. I'm glad they were finally making some noise this spring

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

As the NCAA ruling stands now, we have two "use 'em or lose 'em" slots left under the 2022 annual limit. (We had seven special transfer slots, have filled five so far). There are also five normal slots remaining that can be used for transfers, highschool/JUCO guys or simply held over for early enrolees in the '23 class. So there are seven that can be filled this cycle if that many can be enticed to come to AU.

Thanks. It all confuses the heck outta me. I've seen people say that we have as little as 4 spots left and as many as 10. Off the top of my head I got 9 major needs, mainly at EDGE (2), WR (2), OL (2), DL (1), S (1), and either 1 MLB or RB. Tough decisions will have to be made. But that's why they're paid the big bucks