A Positive Outlook

LPTiger

I don’t see things going in a bad direction.  Recruiting ended well which is what most people were gauging this season on.  Oline is unfortunately the only position that Auburn hasn’t upgraded.  Harsin may have over thought the coaches last season bringing in Bobo and Mason instead of his guys.  Tubs was successful with the BBQ boys so let’s see how Harsin does with the Boise Boys.  

On 1/22/2022 at 7:42 AM, augolf1716 said:

Its mush easier to be negative then positive...

as my hero says keep those negative waves out of my tank 

Have a little faith baby, have a little faith 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t see things going in a bad direction.  Recruiting ended well which is what most people were gauging this season on.  Oline is unfortunately the only position that Auburn hasn’t upgraded.  Harsin may have over thought the coaches last season bringing in Bobo and Mason instead of his guys.  Tubs was successful with the BBQ boys so let’s see how Harsin does with the Boise Boys.  

We definitely didn't upgrade WR. QB we might be able to produce a QB close to what Bo would have been as a senior. Basically our offense retained a lot of experienced bodies, lost a lot of production, and brought in no one new. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We definitely didn't upgrade WR.

You can't say that with any certainty.

We didn't lose any meaningful talent and a couple guys like the Johnsons and King might already be ahead now of where Hudson and DRob were to start the season. And there's no reason to believe that the 3 guys coming in won't be as good as any of the ones we had or hung onto. 

As for QB, I think maybe we're overly concerned about replacing the 11th-best QB in the league according to QBR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We didn't lose any meaningful talent and a couple guys like the Johnsons and King might already be ahead now of where Hudson and DRob were to start the season. And there's no reason to believe that the 3 guys coming in won't be as good as any of the ones we had or hung onto. 

As for QB, I think maybe we're overly concerned about replacing the 11th-best QB in the league according to QBR. 

I don't think we'll be better at the position than last year. But for the sake of argument, even if we are slightly better or break even, the WR group was pretty awful last season. We needed a big upgrade at this position via the portal even if KH had stayed. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree.

I like JJ, and if the QB can get more balls to him accurately, then he is a field changer. Not the sideline deep throw type, but the type like the Alabama WRs like waddle, Ridley Smith, etc. Not powerful builds but hands and speed, and cutability.

And King could be that big WR like a Kelce and how they use him...then add in the TEs Shenker and Fromm, Deal.

We have Solid possession guy w/ Jackson. 

We do need the others CApers, Evans, MJohnson, and Dawson to find their place, as we need to see who our deep, 50/50 WR could be. Then add in the 3 we signed for breakout or at least depth. 

As to your comment about QB....who knows. I think he can be a better thrower and thinker on the field than Bo, but he has to have better protection to me that Bo needed, bc although I think he is better at sliding around in the pocket, if he doesn't process fast enough he is going down. But that's still better than FInley...:)

• Like 1

Biggest thing at QB is hopefully depth.  It’s yet to be seen but hopefully Ashford and Greiner can upgrade what Auburn had back there this year.  I’m holding out hope for Davis and TJ but haven’t seen many promising indicators from the coaches.  

Just now, Win4AU said:

Biggest thing at QB is hopefully depth.  It’s yet to be seen but hopefully Ashford and Greiner can upgrade what Auburn had back there this year.  I’m holding out hope for Davis and TJ but haven’t seen many promising indicators from the coaches.  

DAvis has been an asterisk since Harsin got here....I don't see him ever getting to the real field of play...Unless he goes through a spring, and turns heads especially Harsin's or Davis'....

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

As to your comment about QB....who knows. I think he can be a better thrower and thinker on the field than Bo, but he has to have better protection to me that Bo needed, bc although I think he is better at sliding around in the pocket, if he doesn't process fast enough he is going down.

Yup, exactly. Who knows. I'm not pretending we landed Caleb Williams, but let's not pretend we're trying to replace Caleb Williams, either. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 10:49 AM, LPTiger said:

Auburn's pass defense ranked 11th in the conference in yards given up.   Auburn's run defense ranked 5th.  Jeff Schmedding was our defensive run game coordinator...

I'm not here for trashing Mason. Auburn had the #17 most efficient defense in the country per advanced metrics (Football Outsiders). There's stuff to worry about, but I'm happy to be positive.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

DAvis has been an asterisk since Harsin got here....I don't see him ever getting to the real field of play...Unless he goes through a spring, and turns heads especially Harsin's or Davis'....

I agree I can see Davis in the portal after spring because there will not be much of an opportunity because I see Findley, calzada and Ashford getting 95% of the snaps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Can we get this going again.

Needing a little optimism.

(sigh)

This Positive Outlook thread has not aged well.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

(sigh)

Think about almost anything in sports except Auburn football. (Unless you're a diehard fan of any NFL teams not named Cincinnati or LA.) (But even this Falcons fan has enjoyed the absolute hell out of these playoffs.) (And even Steelers and Bills fans can be happy that neither Tom Brady nor the Patriots made it to the conference championships.) 

• Like 2

My well of positivity for AU football is almost completely dry. At this point I really think Harsin is dead man walking and we will be going through another coaching search next December. Legitimately hard for me to see it any other way

• Like 4

I’m not going to over react on all this OC garbage.  If Harsin is able to bring in a top 10 class and the football on the field shows some semblance of being decent to good like it did this year before Nix went down none of this will matter.  This is a rebuild on many different levels and if we fire Harsin after 1 year it’s going to have to start all over.  If there begin to be disciplinary issues, the recruiting completely falls off, or Auburn starts getting embarrassed on the field then I’ll start being more pessimistic.  

• Like 1

The stadium and the giant TV are still there. That’s a positive. I think we still have footballs. I hope because we lost money in 2021 we don’t cut out buying footballs. I could see how that would hamper the teams progress but for right now we still have actual footballs.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, wcware said:

The stadium and the giant TV are still there. That’s a positive. I think we still have footballs. I hope because we lost money in 2021 we don’t cut out buying footballs. I could see how that would hamper the teams progress but for right now we still have actual footballs.

Thanks.

(not helping)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not going to over react on all this OC garbage.  If Harsin is able to bring in a top 10 class and the football on the field shows some semblance of being decent to good like it did this year before Nix went down none of this will matter.  This is a rebuild on many different levels and if we fire Harsin after 1 year it’s going to have to start all over.  If there begin to be disciplinary issues, the recruiting completely falls off, or Auburn starts getting embarrassed on the field then I’ll start being more pessimistic.  

No it isn't. And I challenge you to explain how it is. 

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

A different system, different culture, style of play.  The interviews from the Olinemen last offseason told me a lot of what I needed to know about the work ethic Harsin was demanding out of these guys compared to the previous regime.  I’m not saying Harsin is starting from scratch but he’s definitely having to “renovate” a lot of what was here.  That’s going to be the case anywhere a new set of coaches is brought in.  Even the mighty Saban had to struggle through for a season of mediocrity and turnover before getting that program going.

Just like all it would've took last season to win 9 games was a not hurt Bo Nix?  With everyone we have coming back from last year's team, with slightly better QB and Oline play paired with the defense from last season (or slightly worse defense since we lose two studs) we could feasibly win 8-9 games next season.

@Didba!

You the man!!

(copied from another thread)

Edited by AUGoo
edit

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

New coaching staff is always a rebuild especially when basic schemes are dramatically different. I do agree that some of the coaching hires have cost us some reputation but don’t believe it is insurmountable. His on the field results would definitely have looked better had he not lost his starting QB. 

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

(sigh)

It's not a Mike Price or Hugh Freeze situation??

• Like 1