A Positive Outlook

LPTiger

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

If Harsin is able to bring in a top 10 class

That is simply not possible. There aren't enough unsigned top prospects left out there to get AU into the top 10. We are currently 18th on Rivals and that includes the "verbal" 4* DB (Donaldson) who is still on the football list, I suppose for publicity purposes. He's going to sign a basketball scholarship and and play basketball only at AU. When he comes off the football list, we'll be out of the top 20.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

That is simply not possible. There aren't enough unsigned top prospects left out there to get AU into the top 10. We are currently 18th on Rivals and that includes the "verbal" 4* DB (Donaldson) who is still on the football list, I suppose for publicity purposes. He's going to sign a basketball scholarship and and play basketball only at AU. When he comes off the football list, we'll be out of the top 20.

And if you include soon to be SEC teams Texas and Oklahoma, Auburn will probably finish 8th in the SEC in recruiting and possibly ninth depending on who all Lane Kiffin signs. Is that how you are seeing it?

Again, that is if you include Texas and Oklahoma.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fredst said:

My well of positivity for AU football is almost completely dry. At this point I really think Harsin is dead man walking and we will be going through another coaching search next December. Legitimately hard for me to see it any other way

It has not been ideal for sure. But it also hasnt been complete disaster. I doubt he gets canned next year unless we see something akin to Chiz's last year. Even if he goes  6-6 I think he'll get 1 more year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

And if you include soon to be SEC teams Texas and Oklahoma, Auburn will probably finish 8th in the SEC in recruiting and possibly ninth depending on who all Lane Kiffin signs. Is that how you are seeing it?

Again, that is if you include Texas and Oklahoma.

We are already eighth in the SEC on Rivals. Adding Texas and Oklahoma would put us at 10th, assuming nobody else passes us. Being behind Kentucky, Miss. State and so forth isn't our normal recruiting result, but that's where we are right now.

Ok… positives. Lord knows we need some. Big predictions (going out on a limb)

offense:

o line will be better this year. I have a hard time thinking of a college o line with as much experience as this one will have this year. 23 will be different story unless he gets some new faces in.

RBs will be best group we have had in a while! Experience plus new talent.

QB can’t be much worse than last year. Maybe a new guy will step up.

TE more experience plus new blood. Looks good. Going to have to be heavily utilized.

Wr TBD

Edited by wildlife alumni

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I was referring to 2023.  I think most people said a top 15-20 class was the likely scenario before this season even started.  If 2023 isn't top 15 or worse top 20 then its probably time to panic a little about the future.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I was referring to 2023.  I think most people said a top 15-20 class was the likely scenario before this season even started.  If 2023 isn't top 15 or worse top 20 then its probably time to panic a little about the future.

Funny how things change. This is the Estmate I saw mostly put out during the time that we were last in SEC for this year. People may say that is too low of a mark to judge him by now that so much negative info has come out. I still agree with this assessment.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

We are already eighth in the SEC on Rivals. Adding Texas and Oklahoma would put us at 10th, assuming nobody else passes us. Being behind Kentucky, Miss. State and so forth isn't our normal recruiting result, but that's where we are right now.

Well, then we gotta coach em up!

wait...we have no coaches...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

If our 2023 class is outside the top 20 then I'll have absolutely no interest in continuing to monitor the performance of this team. I'll consider anything outside the top 10 a failure, honestly. 

• Thanks 1

Hard to find it right now. Lot's of folks seem to think we're facing a bottoming out like a 3-9. My only hope is that we're getting out all the bad now rather than later, and the folks still here really want it and are united heading into the summer

31 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hard to find it right now. Lot's of folks seem to think we're facing a bottoming out like a 3-9. My only hope is that we're getting out all the bad now rather than later, and the folks still here really want it and are united heading into the summer

I've grown rather negative in the last week but I think we'll field a better team this year than we did last, unless we have more meaningful players leave. Seems there are rumblings that Landen King and Javarrious Johnson are shopping that is not good. 

I'm worried only about recruiting right now and my optimism for a good finish to the 2022 cycle and a top-10 2023 class has fallen off a cliff. And I think we need those things to compete beyond 2022. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I've grown rather negative in the last week but I think we'll field a better team this year than we did last, unless we have more meaningful players leave. Seems there are rumblings that Landen King and Javarrious Johnson are shopping that is not good. 

I'm worried only about recruiting right now and my optimism for a good finish to the 2022 cycle and a top-10 2023 class has fallen off a cliff. And I think we need those things to compete beyond 2022. 

I'd heard about Johnson but not King. Man, that would be an absolute dagger. Hope it's not true, or if it is, we can talk him down. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'd heard about Johnson but not King. Man, that would be an absolute dagger. Hope it's not true, or if it is, we can talk him down. 

TIFWIW, the report I saw was about J Johnson and Capers, not King. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:52 AM, fredst said:

My well of positivity for AU football is almost completely dry. At this point I really think Harsin is dead man walking and we will be going through another coaching search next December. Legitimately hard for me to see it any other way

This can't be right. 

When I dropped by a month+ ago people so much smarter than me were giving me crap about my concerns about the program.  I was practically told that nobody likes me and I should shut-up.  😃  So I don't see how things could be so bad.  

I thought then our choice was between firing Harsin then and starting over or letting him continue for two more years.  Right now I'm leaning toward showing him the door with everyone involved in his hiring.  We have no coaching staff and recruiting has stalled.      

A positive:   For the first time in about 30 years I will actually get some real work done on signing day.

Edited by VicTree

On 2/1/2022 at 11:33 PM, Mikey said:

Good Lord! I’m in a different time zone, just getting caught up. But it appears that we will end at ninth or 10th in the SEC if you include Texas and Oklahoma. In other words: worse than I thought, and I was thinking the worst!

Since we're looking for positives (& lord knows I'm among those who need something positive for & about the football team), I'll offer this. This time last year Tennessee was an absolute dumpster fire. I live in Memphis where UT is covered closely (lots of UT fans here despite the U of Memphis being primary in the city), & I can tell y'all that it's hard to overstate how bad things were for them. But Heupel has turned things around dramatically, & their fan base is more hopeful about the direction of the program than they've been in a long while. It's not perfect for them or anything, but it's a sea change from where they were a year ago. The point is, it's possible for a coach to turn things around dramatically in a year. So, we can hope it happens for us. 

Here's something I wonder: Is Harsin aware of how poor morale is among us Aubies? He hasn't given me the impression that he's terribly in tune to such things, but he needs to be. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Since we're looking for positives (& lord knows I'm among those who need something positive for & about the football team), I'll offer this. This time last year Tennessee was an absolute dumpster fire. I live in Memphis where UT is covered closely (lots of UT fans here despite the U of Memphis being primary in the city), & I can tell y'all that it's hard to overstate how bad things were for them. But Heupel has turned things around dramatically, & their fan base is more hopeful about the direction of the program than they've been in a long while. It's not perfect for them or anything, but it's a sea change from where they were a year ago. The point is, it's possible for a coach to turn things around dramatically in a year. So, we can hope it happens for us. 

Here's something I wonder: Is Harsin aware of how poor morale is among us Aubies? He hasn't given me the impression that he's terribly in tune to such things, but he needs to be. 

Agreed. I live in Knoxville. They lost about 20 to the portal including a 5 star o lineman and 5 star LB. My friends were questioning whether they would have enough to field a team. But they improved from 3-7 to 8-5. So there’s hope. But Harsin better get his crap together. He desperately needs some early 2023 commits. 

On 2/1/2022 at 2:44 PM, McLoofus said:

If Landen King leaves, I honestly don’t think I have any hope for the receiving corp

Like regardless of how guys thought about Bobo or the WR coach or whoever blame should be handed to, we did a horrible job of maximizing the talented young guys then. Idk why I should have hope we’d do it this time around 

• Like 1