Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

With all the drama happening at Auburn it's truly amazing that our beat writers have illuminated next to nothing. I guess Phillip Marshall is too busy writing "hot takes" about social media to actually get important answers. 

Regardless, is there any insight on what is actually happening? Particularly, I want to know the dynamic of Harsin and the PTB.

This has been the popular rumor/excuse for apologists for the coaching exodus - that Harsin didn't want Mason or Bobo or anyone outside of "his guys", but they were forced on him by the PTB. And therefore, this exodus is no big deal. Maybe even a positive!

Someone explain to me how that makes ANY sense.

Firstly, reconcile how the PTB has the power to force coordinators on Harsin, yet couldn't stop ADAG from hiring Harsin in the first place? The thing almost all Auburn fans agreed on when Harsin was hired, is we were excited because this was clearly a move made in defiance of the PTB. But they somehow regained their influence for coordinator hires?

Secondly, reconcile why Harsin, a guy so "my way or the highway" would come here in the first place knowing he couldn't hire who he wanted to coordinate?

And lastly, how are the new hires of Robinson and Brumbaugh more "Harsin's guys" than Mason or Bobo - if the idea is that Harsin is now finally hiring the staff he wants?

Here's what seems apparent to me until otherwise reputed - Harsin wooed Derek Mason to Auburn, and it was his biggest coaching coup. Mason could have gone virtually anywhere he wanted. For a highly sought after guy to choose Auburn was a huge endorsement for Harsin. 

If the PTB had to "force him" on Harsin, the CBH is hopeless. But I don't believe that.

I believe a simpler, but arguably more unpleasant truth: that in just one year, CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left. 

If the PTB forced Mason on CBH, there needs to be some proof shown. Whether or not that happened is hugely important to interpreting what is really happening in Auburn right now.

• Like 6

OMG

image.gif.1741bccd297bc79eace0a50317b22752.gif

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left.

ok-okay.gif

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I believe a simpler, but arguably more unpleasant truth: that in just one year, CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left. 

I'd say it's more likely that the truth is unpleasant for Mason fans. CDM probably got absolutely shredded for his defensive collapse against MSU and failure vs USCe, didn't like it, and hit the road. He has enough money, he doesn't have to work, and he showed how little work he can put in against MSU. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

You lost me at Mason could go anywhere he wanted. 😂 Not the case then or now. 

If Mason is so terrible.....then why was he hired in the first place?  That should disturb you. And if he resigned....then there is actually some trouble brewing and that should also disturb you. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

And lastly, how are the new hires of Robinson and Brumbaugh more "Harsin's guys" than Mason or Bobo - if the idea is that Harsin is now finally hiring the staff he wants?

You are comparing guys that didn’t even replace the ones that left.   He replaced Mason with his “Former DC” and replaced Bobo with a Qb coach from the nfl.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

If Mason is so terrible.....then why was he hired in the first place?  That should disturb you. And if he resigned....then there is actually some trouble brewing and that should also disturb you. 

I don’t think “able to go anywhere = terrible coach.   Maybe he was looking at the Saban model of hiring fired HC’s that worked out as really good coordinators?   I don’t know the answer on why he was hired, but it’s my opinion that he saw someone that had a history of being a good defensive coach plus SEc  experience and took a chance.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

:popcorn:for the time being

image.gif.e8f5351bf3385bfdf3efd31ef719320d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

With all the drama happening at Auburn it's truly amazing that our beat writers have illuminated next to nothing. I guess Phillip Marshall is too busy writing "hot takes" about social media to actually get important answers. 

Regardless, is there any insight on what is actually happening? Particularly, I want to know the dynamic of Harsin and the PTB.

This has been the popular rumor/excuse for apologists for the coaching exodus - that Harsin didn't want Mason or Bobo or anyone outside of "his guys", but they were forced on him by the PTB. And therefore, this exodus is no big deal. Maybe even a positive!

Firstly, reconcile how the PTB has the power to force coordinators on Harsin, yet couldn't stop ADAG from hiring Harsin in the first place? The thing almost all Auburn fans agreed on when Harsin was hired, is we were excited because this was clearly a move made in defiance of the PTB. But they somehow regained their influence for coordinator hires?

Secondly, reconcile why Harsin, a guy so "my way or the highway" would come here in the first place knowing he couldn't hire who he wanted to coordinate?

Here's what seems apparent to me until otherwise reputed - Harsin wooed Derek Mason to Auburn, and it was his biggest coaching coup. Mason could have gone virtually anywhere he wanted. For a highly sought after guy to choose Auburn was a huge endorsement for Harsin. 

If the PTB had to "force him" on Harsin, the CBH is hopeless. But I don't believe that.

If the PTB forced Mason on CBH, there needs to be some proof shown. Whether or not that happened is hugely important to interpreting what is really happening in Auburn right now.

"It’s a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.”

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Sometimes you hire coaches and it just does not workout from a chemistry and or philosophy standpoint. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t think “able to go anywhere = terrible coach.   Maybe he was looking at the Saban model of hiring fired HC’s that worked out as really good coordinators?   I don’t know the answer on why he was hired, but it’s my opinion that he saw someone that had a history of being a good defensive coach plus SEc  experience and took a chance.  

My gut instinct is telling me that something is off somewhere. I guess we'll see. Harsin has gotten rid of 3 coaches that he hired.....he seems to have done a poor job. That's more than taking a chance on 1 guy. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 4

43 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Firstly, reconcile...

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That should disturb you.

46 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Secondly, reconcile...

17 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

that should also disturb you. 

Disturbing.

• Haha 1

Truthers: Dereck Mason was hired and didn’t succeed. What a terrible hire. 
Also truthers: Mason was hired. He and Harsin relationship didn’t work out. Harsin is an awful coach and made bad hires. 
Also truthers: If you don’t think Harsin is a bad hire, you’re an “apologist”. 

Those waiting to see: Harsin and those in the middle just can’t win 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Where is my statement anywhere that CDM is or was terrible????  
I was optimistic (yes it’s a choice to be this way) about his hire. I’m also ok (not happy) with his departure. Given what we have in coaches and players on that side of the ball I think we will be ok. 

I’m not going to be “disturbed” about conjecture and fabricated drama that no one here knows to be true. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Now this is genuinely a new take. Are people really trying to deny CDM was a tier 1 defensive coordinator candidate? Really?

6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Truthers: Dereck Mason was hired and didn’t succeed. What a terrible hire. 
Also truthers: Mason was hired. He and Harsin relationship didn’t work out. Harsin is an awful coach and made bad hires. 
Also truthers: If you don’t think Harsin is a bad hire, you’re an “apologist”. 

Those waiting to see: Harsin and those in the middle just can’t win 🤷🏻‍♂️

Such incredible stuff. Glad you stopped by! 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

My gut instinct is telling me that something is off somewhere. I guess we'll see. Harsin has gotten rid of 3 coaches that he hired.....he seems to have done a poor job. That's more than taking a chance on 1 guy. 

I don’t pretend to be an insider and So everything I say is just my opinion.   The first guy was let go for some reason that no one knows but the parties involved.   I think Bobo was hired because of his history in working and playing in the SEC.   He obviously made some bone headed decisions during the year and after working with the guy for a year, Harsin decided he wanted to go in a different direction.   I believe that talks occurred between Harsin and Mason and it was a mutual decision to resign.   I think Harsin is learning that it’s really difficult to coach at Auburn due to everything associated with coaching at Auburn (competition and from within).  

Edited by aubaseball
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Now this is genuinely a new take. Are people really trying to deny CDM was a tier 1 defensive coordinator candidate? Really?

Where do you get this from what I said? Your reading comprehension is really lacking.   

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Such incredible stuff. Glad you stopped by! 

You’re welcome. You’re definitely a truther.  Your stuff is also ground breaking. Thanks for the incessant complaints and rambling. 

• Like 2