Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Where do you get this from what I said? Your reading comprehension is really lacking.   

Uh you just stated you don't know why CDM was hired and that CBH "took a chance" on him. CDM was highly sought after and had as good a resume as any available DC candidate in the country at the time. There's a reason it was universally praised as a home run hire.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Uh you just stated you don't know why CDM was hired and that CBH "took a chance" on him. CDM was highly sought after and had as good a resume as any available DC candidate in the country at the time. There's a reason it was universally praised as a home run hire.

The name did ring a bell. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There was a time that Pelini was heralded as a home run hire also. Many other Coordinators also. 

7 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

You’re welcome. You’re definitely a truther.  Your stuff is also ground breaking. Thanks for the incessant complaints and rambling. 

Post #4 for you on this thread. Maybe if you don't like a topic, don't comment continually on it?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

35 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

My gut instinct is telling me that something is off somewhere. I guess we'll see. Harsin has gotten rid of 3 coaches that he hired.....he seems to have done a poor job. That's more than taking a chance on 1 guy. 

Not uncommon for Harsin to fire multiple staff in an off-season.  

To the rest of the comments: People are talking in a lot of extremes in this thread.  Mason leaving could have resulted from any number of things and very well could have been completely mutual.  The rats are not necessarily jumping ship, and maybe Bobo/Mason we’re not forced on Harsin.  Maybe Harsin just hired terrible fits?  The only thing it signals for me is that he’s hard to work for and maybe doesn’t know exactly what he wants, which is a pretty bad trait for someone in his position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

With all the drama happening at Auburn it's truly amazing that our beat writers have illuminated next to nothing. I guess Phillip Marshall is too busy writing "hot takes" about social media to actually get important answers. 

Regardless, is there any insight on what is actually happening? Particularly, I want to know the dynamic of Harsin and the PTB.

This has been the popular rumor/excuse for apologists for the coaching exodus - that Harsin didn't want Mason or Bobo or anyone outside of "his guys", but they were forced on him by the PTB. And therefore, this exodus is no big deal. Maybe even a positive!

Someone explain to me how that makes ANY sense.

Firstly, reconcile how the PTB has the power to force coordinators on Harsin, yet couldn't stop ADAG from hiring Harsin in the first place? The thing almost all Auburn fans agreed on when Harsin was hired, is we were excited because this was clearly a move made in defiance of the PTB. But they somehow regained their influence for coordinator hires?

Secondly, reconcile why Harsin, a guy so "my way or the highway" would come here in the first place knowing he couldn't hire who he wanted to coordinate?

And lastly, how are the new hires of Robinson and Brumbaugh more "Harsin's guys" than Mason or Bobo - if the idea is that Harsin is now finally hiring the staff he wants?

Here's what seems apparent to me until otherwise reputed - Harsin wooed Derek Mason to Auburn, and it was his biggest coaching coup. Mason could have gone virtually anywhere he wanted. For a highly sought after guy to choose Auburn was a huge endorsement for Harsin. 

If the PTB had to "force him" on Harsin, the CBH is hopeless. But I don't believe that.

I believe a simpler, but arguably more unpleasant truth: that in just one year, CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left. 

If the PTB forced Mason on CBH, there needs to be some proof shown. Whether or not that happened is hugely important to interpreting what is really happening in Auburn right now.

You just make up some stupid crap and post it. What do you possibly hope to gain by doing something as stupid as this. I know everyone has a right to their opinion but good grief have enough sense not to post it here! I may be kicked off for saying this but I’m about ready to quit anyway. Tired of coming on here and reading such nonsense!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

There was a time that Pelini was heralded as a home run hire also. Many other Coordinators also. 

Let me put it this way. CDM is a former SEC coach and heralded DC. Much like Will Muschamp. People thought CDM would follow his model from 2015 - come here for a year or two, and leave when you get a good HC job. 

What would people say if Muschamp had left Auburn after a year for DC at Oklahoma State?

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

To the rest of the comments: People are talking in a lot of extremes in this thread.  Mason leaving could have resulted from any number of things and very well could have been completely mutual.  The rats are not necessarily jumping ship, and maybe Bobo/Mason we’re not forced on Harsin.  Maybe Harsin just hired terrible fits?  The only thing it signals for me is that he’s hard to work for and maybe doesn’t know exactly what he wants, which is a pretty bad trait for someone in his position.

Thank you for actually posting something substantive. 

The only reason I am not a big fan of the "bad fit" theory is I find it hard to believe CDM would choose to leave rather than gut it out maybe 1 more year and then grab a HC or NFL job.

From CDM's perspective, Auburn was a platform to the next good gig. He didn't have to stay long. To uproot after a year and go to a lateral position at a worse program like OK State, that means the cons must have realllllly outweighed pros of staying.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Let me put it this way. CDM is a former SEC coach and heralded DC. Much like Will Muschamp. People thought CDM would follow his model from 2015 - come here for a year or two, and leave when you get a good HC job. 

What would people say if Muschamp had left Auburn after a year for DC at Oklahoma State?

They wouldn’t be saying that Malzahn can’t get along with anyone and it’s his fault.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, provibe said:

You just make up some stupid crap and post it. What do you possibly hope to gain by doing something as stupid as this. I know everyone has a right to their opinion but good grief have enough sense not to post it here! I may be kicked off for saying this but I’m about ready to quit anyway. Tired of coming on here and reading such nonsense!

Fragile. I actually didn't make up anything at all. In fact, the point of this thread is to hopefully gain some insight on what IS and ISN'T made up.

I genuinely don't understand some of you guys. What do you expect on a football forum? Strictly threads of how great things at Auburn are, regardless of circumstance? Seriously, what do you think a football forum is for? 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Solid take 

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

They wouldn’t be saying that Malzahn can’t get along with anyone and it’s his fault.

They might, actually. What do you think people would be saying? A highly touted DC, *who was successful here, btw* goes to a lateral position at a worse program. 

It's really puzzling if it ISN'T due to serious discontent.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Since "assuming" is the name of the game, then have we "assumed" that Harsin felt Mason deserved to save face and not get fired 2 years in a row, so gave him an opportunity to seek employment elsewhere.

Furthermore...while we're s#itting on Harsin for firing both Coordinators after 1 year, I hate to tell you Mason fans that he done the same thing at Vandy...after 1 year

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Post #4 for you on this thread. Maybe if you don't like a topic, don't comment continually on it?

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I genuinely don't understand some of you guys. What do you expect on a football forum? Seriously, what do you think a football forum is for? 

Irony

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Since "assuming" is the name of the game, then have we "assumed" that Harsin felt Mason deserved to save face and not get fired 2 years in a row, so gave him an opportunity to seek employment elsewhere.

Furthermore...while we're s#itting on Harsin for firing both Coordinators after 1 year, I hate to tell you Mason fans that he done the same thing at Vandy...after 1 year

So you believe Mason was fired and didn't want to leave? Based on what? 

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Fair except for the point of being hard to work for. That certainly could be true but  he did bring a good many assistants who have been with him for a while. I think he has really high standards and stands by them. That could be seen as being hard to work for but it just might be needed at the start of program design 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

So you believe Mason was fired and didn't want to leave? Based on what? 

You know just as much as I know about what went on...nothing. Like I said "if we're assuming".

The facts are that CRob was announced before Mason resigned, so obviously Harsin was moving on from Mason first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jknighton said:

You know just as much as I know about what went on...nothing. Like I said "if we're assuming".

The facts are that CRob was announced before Mason resigned, so obviously Harsin was moving on from Mason first.

👌 Your previous posts make sense now. You have made no effort to keep up with what's going on. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Can somebody sum this up?  I'll hang up and listen, thanks.

• Haha 1

I feel like it was pretty obvious looking back on all the events. Masin and Harsin, at a minimum, mutually decided to part ways. Maybe leaning towards Mason quit and Harsin agreed to let him find a job before splitting. 

Nearly every big college DC opening had Mason tied to it. That seems like too much of a coincidence to me. After not landing a job,  they split. Mason resigned and Harsin promoted his guy. 

13 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Harsin was moving on from Mason first.

I get coaches have ego's, but most aren't going to pass up 2-3 million dollars.  If Mason was being fired, he'd have taken that buyout like Bobo

• Like 1

Just now, GreenTiger said:

Basically Gramps isn’t getting insider information so he is making up his own. 

Which poster is mad their source got cut off?  Is that poster PAM??