Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

53 minutes ago, jknighton said:

You know just as much as I know about what went on...nothing. Like I said "if we're assuming".

The facts are that CRob was announced before Mason resigned, so obviously Harsin was moving on from Mason first.

Don’t bother man.   He can’t comprehend English.    He took a question on why I don’t know why he hired him, to, I said it was a bad hire.   He doesn’t know what “ assuming “ means.  

• Love 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

You're new, but's been explained to you, by other posters on other posts, that there *are* actually some insiders on this board. 

I am not new, as its been pointed out to you several times, I have been on these forums since before the AuburnEagle merger.  I know all about the insiders it never needed to be explained to me and it never was because I have known it for 10+ years.  Good try, though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’m not sure if anyone on here actually knows what’s going on. And if they do they’re not gonna say anything. Not a helpful post, but that’s how I see this going down.

I also don’t think there is any evidence that CDM, or anyone for that matter, is disgusted with CBH and/or how he is running things. At least I haven’t seen it. It just seems to be another possible hypothesis for why CDM and some players are leaving

Yep you're right. It's funny how certain ones on here though believe that any negative or derogatory opinion is absolutely plausible, but any rational or sensible outlook on things is totally irrational and needs a reality check. Seems certain ones on this forum want to create that dumpster fire atmosphere even if it doesn't exist - yet they call themselves fans.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

I am not new, as its been pointed out to you several times, I have been on these forums since before the AuburnEagle merger.  I know all about the insiders it never needed to be explained to me and it never was because I have known it for 10+ years.  Good try, though.

Every one of your posts contradicts the last. You said nobody here can offer any insight. 

No. You can't offer any insight. I assumed you would have to be new to make a statement like that. 

Didba, honestly, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by posting 10,000 times on these threads. Do you think you're going to get people to stop questioning what's going on at Auburn rn?

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

I’m beginning to feel sorry for the OP at this point. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yep you're right. It's funny how certain ones on here though believe that any negative or derogatory opinion is absolutely plausible, but any rational or sensible outlook on things is totally irrational and needs a reality check. Seems certain ones on this forum want to create that atmosphere even if it doesn't exist.

Give me the rational, sensible outlook on CDM wanting out.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Here’s one.  He doesn’t like Auburn.   For you,  I will add that I do not know this to be true, but Maybe it’s as simple as that.  

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Every one of your posts contradicts the last. You said nobody here can offer any insight. 

No. You can't offer any insight. I assumed you would have to be new to make a statement like that. 

Didba, honestly, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by posting 10,000 times on these threads. Do you think you're going to get people to stop questioning what's going on at Auburn rn?

Well you see what happens when you assume..., No, my posts don't contradict themselves. I stand by my point of "nobody here can offer any insight", we are not on the donor side hence there will not be any insight from insiders on this random thread you started.

I am not trying to accomplish anything. I am literally here for entertainment and laughs while procrastinating.  I don't care if people are questioning what's going on at Auburn rn. All I wanted to point out was that no one is gonna have the insight you are asking for and if they did they sure aren't gonna just start posting it on random threads bc that is how you lose insight real fast.

53 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’m not sure if anyone on here actually knows what’s going on. And if they do they’re not gonna say anything. Not a helpful post, but that’s how I see this going down.

I also don’t think there is any evidence that CDM, or anyone for that matter, is disgusted with CBH and/or how he is running things. At least I haven’t seen it. It just seems to be another possible hypothesis for why CDM and some players are leaving

7 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yep you're right. It's funny how certain ones on here though believe that any negative or derogatory opinion is absolutely plausible, but any rational or sensible outlook on things is totally irrational and needs a reality check. Seems certain ones on this forum want to create that dumpster fire atmosphere even if it doesn't exist - yet they call themselves fans.

These are the two best takes on the thread, I concur with them and adopt them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

With all the drama happening at Auburn it's truly amazing that our beat writers have illuminated next to nothing. I guess Phillip Marshall is too busy writing "hot takes" about social media to actually get important answers. 

Regardless, is there any insight on what is actually happening? Particularly, I want to know the dynamic of Harsin and the PTB.

This has been the popular rumor/excuse for apologists for the coaching exodus - that Harsin didn't want Mason or Bobo or anyone outside of "his guys", but they were forced on him by the PTB. And therefore, this exodus is no big deal. Maybe even a positive!

Someone explain to me how that makes ANY sense.

Firstly, reconcile how the PTB has the power to force coordinators on Harsin, yet couldn't stop ADAG from hiring Harsin in the first place? The thing almost all Auburn fans agreed on when Harsin was hired, is we were excited because this was clearly a move made in defiance of the PTB. But they somehow regained their influence for coordinator hires?

Secondly, reconcile why Harsin, a guy so "my way or the highway" would come here in the first place knowing he couldn't hire who he wanted to coordinate?

And lastly, how are the new hires of Robinson and Brumbaugh more "Harsin's guys" than Mason or Bobo - if the idea is that Harsin is now finally hiring the staff he wants?

Here's what seems apparent to me until otherwise reputed - Harsin wooed Derek Mason to Auburn, and it was his biggest coaching coup. Mason could have gone virtually anywhere he wanted. For a highly sought after guy to choose Auburn was a huge endorsement for Harsin. 

If the PTB had to "force him" on Harsin, the CBH is hopeless. But I don't believe that.

I believe a simpler, but arguably more unpleasant truth: that in just one year, CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left. 

If the PTB forced Mason on CBH, there needs to be some proof shown. Whether or not that happened is hugely important to interpreting what is really happening in Auburn right now.

No one knows, but my personal guesses...

1. You're probably right. They probably weren't "forced", but maybe encouraged. That could be from a number of sources. Boosters, coaches that know both Harsin/Mason, maybe a common agent? Maybe it was just Harsin.

2. It seems like he may have been desperate to leave Boise. Think he and the admin were arguing pretty badly about moving up in conference, possible season cancellation due to covid in the MWC, etc. Published emails with him clearly pissed off. Think he may have simply felt like he reached his limit there.

3. Why are you comparing position coaches to the old coordinators? Let's assume you meant Schmed and Davis. Schmed is his dude. Supposedly an aggressive coordinator, which fits his mantra more than conservative Mason. Davis seems similar to a typical Harsin OC hire. Young guy that he can mold himself (Hamdan, Drink, Zak Hill). 

4. If Derek Mason was actually repulsed by how Harsin runs the program, should we take that as a negative? I mean, I like DM as a person and coordinator, but he was horrible at Vandy, even for their standards. Bobo also failed miserably at Colorado State. Coaches have egos, so maybe hard for two SEC veterans to take criticism from a younger newcomer in Harsin who is a very blunt guy? We'll never know, but hopefully the ship gets steadied.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

is there any insight on what is actually happening? 

Someone explain to me how that makes ANY sense.

CBH is hopeless. 

truth: that in just one year, CDM was so repulsed by how CBH ran his program, he left without a job in hand. Not for a HC or NFL job like we thought he would eventually. He just left. 

Does anyone have any insight? 

Apparently no.

The rest of what you mentioned is entirely possible, plausible but hopefully not probable. 

I'll wait and see how it plays out.

• Like 1

A lot of baseless claims going on here and there. 

"Coach harsin is hard to work for"

"Derek Mason was over Harsin's crap so much he would rather give up his buyout and quit"

"D Mason and Bobo were forced on CBH"

I don't believe there was some big fallen out between CDM and CBH. I don't believe that CDM was forced on CBH either.

My best conclusion would be that CBH hired a very well respected coach in Derek Mason because of his success as a former DC, his experience as a HC, and his ties to the southern recruiting lands. I believe CBH knew he was going to have to have some faces and brains familiar with this league and this part of the country at least until his foot was in the door. I don't believe CBH ever expected DM to be a long term solution and that is why JS was brought along. 

There were some really great defensive performances and some not so good ones throughout the year. I would say after the season CBH analyzed everything and talked with all of his staff and players to decide what direction he wanted to go in. There could have been some things that they didn't see eye to eye on, I am sure. My best guess being CBH likely wanted more responsibilities for his DC in waiting and maybe CDM didn't like that? All conjecture at this point on my part.

At the end of the day, I believe it was a mutual decision between the two to handle it in the manner it was handled. 

I think it is crazy to say that CBH is PIA to work for when he has a large portion of his former staff travel plum across the country to follow him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I’m beginning to feel sorry for the OP at this point. 

He keeps things entertaining on the forums, I'll give him that, and I'll admit he and I have had a good discussion with one or the other conceding points at times. He is better than others, like Mikey, who will never admit when he is wrong.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You will never know unless  Harsin and Mason do a tell all.  A coaching business decision.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

He keeps things entertaining on the forums, I'll give him that, and I'll admit he and I have had a good discussion with one or the other conceding points at times. He is better than others, like Mikey, who will never admit when he is wrong.

Don't bring him up!!!!! This thread bout to go for a ride lol....next thing you know we will all be in a heated debate about how bad the LB depth is while OL depth is solid because we have Bill Taylor!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Don't bring him up!!!!! This thread bout to go for a ride lol....next thing you know we will all be in a heated debate about how bad the LB depth is while OL depth is solid because we have Bill Taylor!

giphy.gif

I am sorry, I should have referred to him as He Who Shall Not Be Named

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Can somebody sum this up?  I'll hang up and listen, thanks.

In a GIF…

image.gif.dd22fcfd125753620c6dc002093aae3e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another thing I'd like to point out as fans we are emotionally invested but for many players, and coaches. Football is business and they treat it like a business in everything they do.  For people like Harsin and Mason parting ways could be just another aspect of the football business no different then a CEO and a CFO parting ways in a corporation.  These guys put 0 emotion into their business. "its business, nothing personal" sounds hokey but sometimes that really is all it was.  Just business.

IMHO Harsin has made all the assistant coach hiring and firing decisions since the day he was hired and he has no one to blame but himself if they haven’t worked out.  I also think he gave both coordinators the latitude to put their schemes in place this year.  He didn’t like the way things were going so he and he alone decided to make changes.  He fired Bobo and then later when Mason started shopping for other jobs they made the mutual decision to part ways.  I don’t believe Mason was forced out at all.  People love conspiracy theories and Auburn folks in particular love to point to the “PTB” as pulling the strings behind everything that happens.  We have always had some big money boosters on the Board that have a lot of influence but I have never believed they get in the middle of every hiring/firing decision the AD or HC makes.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, au302 said:

No one knows, but my personal guesses...

1. You're probably right. They probably weren't "forced", but maybe encouraged. That could be from a number of sources. Boosters, coaches that know both Harsin/Mason, maybe a common agent? Maybe it was just Harsin.

2. It seems like he may have been desperate to leave Boise. Think he and the admin were arguing pretty badly about moving up in conference, possible season cancellation due to covid in the MWC, etc. Published emails with him clearly pissed off. Think he may have simply felt like he reached his limit there.

3. Why are you comparing position coaches to the old coordinators? Let's assume you meant Schmed and Davis. Schmed is his dude. Supposedly an aggressive coordinator, which fits his mantra more than conservative Mason. Davis seems similar to a typical Harsin OC hire. Young guy that he can mold himself (Hamdan, Drink, Zak Hill). 

4. If Derek Mason was actually repulsed by how Harsin runs the program, should we take that as a negative? I mean, I like DM as a person and coordinator, but he was horrible at Vandy, even for their standards. Bobo also failed miserably at Colorado State. Coaches have egos, so maybe hard for two SEC veterans to take criticism from a younger newcomer in Harsin who is a very blunt guy? We'll never know, but hopefully the ship gets steadied.

Well what ya know! A rational and realistic explanation. Thanks! 

• Like 2

Then there is this option. Harsin hires some guys and a few don't live up to the expectations he had for them. Knowing the window for success in the SEC is much smaller he doesn't waste time. He lets them go and hires some guys he thinks will do the job. Yeah, that's possible.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Then there is this option. Harsin hires some guys and a few don't live up to the expectations he had for them. Knowing the window to be successful in the SEC is much smaller he doesn't waste time. He lets them go and hires some guys he thinks will do a better job. Yeah, that's possible.

Man...always another plausible response.  The thread continues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Let me put it this way. CDM is a former SEC coach and heralded DC. Much like Will Muschamp. People thought CDM would follow his model from 2015 - come here for a year or two, and leave when you get a good HC job. 

What would people say if Muschamp had left Auburn after a year for DC at Oklahoma State?

He is so heralded in fact that Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida, LSU, USC, Notre Dame, Oregon....all wanted him. But they backed off because working for that big ole meanie Harsin damaged his reputation. Got it.👍

OR.

Maybe it really is philosophical, which is the same reason why he's not at Auburn anymore? :gofig:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Then there is this option. Harsin hires some guys and a few don't live up to the expectations he had for them. Knowing the window for success in the SEC is much smaller he doesn't waste time. He lets them go and hires some guys he thinks will do the job. Yeah, that's possible.

Nope. No way. Not enough drama and shady Harsin behavior in this explanation 

• Like 3