It's Not About You, Kentucky (article)

boisnumber1

even harsin was at the game with a huge smile on his face and some laughs as well. i like to see that as much as bruce has supported football. there is a 32 second video on twitter but they are above my pay grade. below is a short film of me after the game saturday.........

I actually kinda disagree. It was sort of about UK. That game was huge because we had the chance to knock off a blue blood to get a number 1 ranking. It was a big game for Auburn. But part of the reason it was a big game for Auburn is that it was such a great opponent. If we’d been playing some nobody team, people wouldn’t have camped out.

And as evidence of this, the UK game has always drawn a larger than average crowd. I remember going to games during the miserable Barbee years. A lot of games would have somewhat empty student sections… except when UK came to town.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I actually kinda disagree. It was sort of about UK. That game was huge because we had the chance to knock off a blue blood to get a number 1 ranking. It was a big game for Auburn. But part of the reason it was a big game for Auburn is that it was such a great opponent. If we’d been playing some nobody team, people wouldn’t have camped out.

And as evidence of this, the UK game has always drawn a larger than average crowd. I remember going to games during the miserable Barbee years. A lot of games would have somewhat empty student sections… except when UK came to town.

Disagree, students would have camped out for any team that would have given us a shot at the #1 ranking had we won. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• WarTiger changed the title to It's Not About You, Kentucky (article)
On 1/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, ScotsAU said:

I would argue that it wasn't about "blue blood" as much as it was about "#12 team in the country", but it definitely helped that it was both. 

It wasn't nearly as much about the name on the front of their jerseys as they want it to be, though.

And, credit to them, this is a real rivalry now. They have begged us to hate them, and we are absolutely going to comply. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that it wasn't about "blue blood" as much as it was about "#12 team in the country", but it definitely helped that it was both. 

It wasn't nearly as much about the name on the front of their jerseys as they want it to be, though.

And, credit to them, this is a real rivalry now. They have begged us to hate them, and we are absolutely going to comply. 

So well stated!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, you're right.  It was the #12 ranking of the other team and #1 on the line for us...the name of the other team didn't matter.  Fill in the blank really...(LSU, Bama, UK, UT, etc.).

Admittedly, beating UK made it a little sweeter but the fan reaction would have been the same to any our bigger SEC rivals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I Agree.

I think it was about a chance to be #1 in the country never in our history.

It happened to be KY, which hyped it up. It was a Blue Blood who we have handled pretty well over the last few years under Pearl. But they were ranked too, and they win these games against teams that are trying to rise above them in this conference.  

So, it wasn't about KY. It was about #1, and it was icing on the cake that it was KY. 

and ps. Auburn fans are always going to be passionate after a big win. 

• Like 3

Cal's recent comments about the game making a jab at the fans whewwww that man is salty

I would be too if I were 5-6 against AUBURN in the last 11 games

He should've been fired alone for losing to Auburn in the Elite 8. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:45 AM, gravejd said:

Disagree, students would have camped out for any team that would have given us a shot at the #1 ranking had we won. 

Kentucky makes it oh so sweet, but to be honest I wish we had beaten a #12 Alabama or Georgia to get that #1 ranking. This new rivalry with Kentucky is awesome don't get me wrong, but we all know who we really despise. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Cal's recent comments about the game making a jab at the fans whewwww that man is salty

He's definitely on the downside of his career. In some of the interviews I've heard from him, he sounds a little kooky.

• Like 1

To be completely honest, it kinda reminds me of Gus's comment about 6-4 being "pretty good." Who is he trying to convince? Himself? The fan base? Because anybody paying attention knows it's BS.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, woodford said:

“I'm not being disrespectful, but (Auburn) charged the court, shirts off. And it's not a big game. I'd hate to see them when they play in a big game."

Let me tell you about Coach Cal.

He's a narcissist, and in general, just an ass.

Yeah, I'm salty because he constantly manufactures things that, in some cases, are outright lies, and gets away with it.  The crap he's spewing about that atmosphere at Auburn Arena is ridiculous on so many levels. when he of all people should appreciate how much a game like that meant to this program.  He just cannot let anyone else enjoy the moment, especially if it comes at his expense.

Remember, this is the same John Calipari that has refused to play Indiana University anymore because of the Christian Watford shot in 2011 that brought IU back from the dead in the world of college basketball.  He threw a fit about the atmosphere in Assembly Hall and, to this day, will not play IU in Bloomington.  I'm telling you, he would do the same thing to Auburn if he could get away with it ... and not one student rushed that floor on Saturday.

Bottom line is, he has had arguably more talent that any coach outside of Coach K in the last 15 years on his rosters year-in-and-year out, and what has he done?  4, 5, 6 Five-stars each year...and what has Coach Cal done with it?  The man is insanely jealous and insecure, especially when he see how much the players at Auburn love Bruce Pearl.  He will NEVER have that kind of relationship with his players...he knows it...and it burns him up.  The fact that quite a few UK fans have stated the last few years that his act is growing old (major recruiting wins...not playing out on the court) is telling, IMO.

Will not miss him at all when he finally disappears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Indy said:

“I'm not being disrespectful, but (Auburn) charged the court, shirts off. And it's not a big game. I'd hate to see them when they play in a big game."

Let me tell you about Coach Cal.

He's a narcissist, and in general, just an ass.

Yeah, I'm salty because he constantly manufactures things that, in some cases, are outright lies, and gets away with it.  The crap he's spewing about that atmosphere at Auburn Arena is ridiculous on so many levels. when he of all people should appreciate how much a game like that meant to this program.  He just cannot let anyone else enjoy the moment, especially if it comes at his expense.

Remember, this is the same John Calipari that has refused to play Indiana University anymore because of the Christian Watford shot in 2011 that brought IU back from the dead in the world of college basketball.  He threw a fit about the atmosphere in Assembly Hall and, to this day, will not play IU in Bloomington.  I'm telling you, he would do the same thing to Auburn if he could get away with it ... and not one student rushed that floor on Saturday.

Bottom line is, he has had arguably more talent that any coach outside of Coach K in the last 15 years on his rosters year-in-and-year out, and what has he done?  4, 5, 6 Five-stars each year...and what has Coach Cal done with it?  The man is insanely jealous and insecure, especially when he see how much the players at Auburn love Bruce Pearl.  He will NEVER have that kind of relationship with his players...he knows it...and it burns him up.  The fact that quite a few UK fans have stated the last few years that his act is growing old (major recruiting wins...not playing out on the court) is telling, IMO.

Will not miss him at all when he finally disappears.

And you know it eats him up that Auburn (Auburn!!) is the talk of CBB. 

He’s got to be the most overrated HC in American sports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

And you know it eats him up that Auburn (Auburn!!) is the talk of CBB. 

He’s got to be the most overrated HC in American sports. 

The stuff Cal has been saying is gold. We are so in his head. He even claimed we stormed the court after the win when we didn't. Auburn has broken UK and Cal, and it's hilarious to watch their tears and meltdown.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:47 AM, McLoofus said:

As a student from the 80's when we had some success against UK in Auburn, not much,  it wasn't about beating UK this time.   It truly was about "who's next?"  Oh another ranked opponent who happened to be UK with an arrogant coach..   Beating UK on national TV and grabbing a huge lead in the charge for the conf championship, was the draw.    

It is no longer about upsetting the blue blood UK program, it's about beating them this time.   Very big difference.  

And yeah Calipari  is embarrassing - over stating how our fans reacted - our fans reacted the same as they do in Raleigh Durham and such.  He is trying to put Auburn fans back in a box.  It was the joy of our players that irritated him. It is the fun that Bruce is creating around the program that irritates him.   And he can't bring that level of joy and excitement to UK - and that just irritates him more.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Beaker said:

As a student from the 80's when we had some success against UK in Auburn, not much,  it wasn't about beating UK this time.   It truly was about "who's next?"  Oh another ranked opponent who happened to be UK with an arrogant coach..   Beating UK on national TV and grabbing a huge lead in the charge for the conf championship, was the draw.    

It is no longer about upsetting the blue blood UK program, it's about beating them this time.   Very big difference.  

And yeah Calipari  is embarrassing - over stating how our fans reacted - our fans reacted the same as they do in Raleigh Durham and such.  He is trying to put Auburn fans back in a box.  It was the joy of our players that irritated him. It is the fun that Bruce is creating around the program that irritates him.   And he can't bring that level of joy and excitement to UK - and that just irritates him more.

Bottom line is CBP is doing a better job than him and he knows it. He cant stand that the sec is not him and KY and everyone else like it once was. Those days are gone. Blue blood in CBB is not what it used to be. NIL will only make it less of a thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Bottom line is CBP is doing a better job than him and he knows it. He cant stand that the sec is not him and KY and everyone else like it once was. Those days are gone. Blue blood in CBB is not what it used to be. NIL will only make it less of a thing.

You are right and make an excellent point about how NIL is likely impacting his ability to draw those kids in like he has for yrs.  

Nobody likes to be dethroned and he most certainly is losing his throne in SEC.

Now let's focus on 'who's next!'