Auburn #1 :First Time Ever

toddc

I do think auburn is incredibly versatile though. Like they’re going to be able to be a bad match up for the majority of teams. 

If we can just figure out how to get the pick and rolls back effective, the sky is the ceiling really. If Oscar couldn’t go up with Walker, idk who can. 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I do think auburn is incredibly versatile though. Like they’re going to be able to be a bad match up for the majority of teams. 

If we can just figure out how to get the pick and rolls back effective, the sky is the ceiling really. If Oscar couldn’t go up with Walker, idk who can. 

Those pick and rolls will open up again if we have a consistent 3pt shooter sitting on the wing. Why guard a shooter that isnt hitting when you can just collapse on the cutter? Wendell started playing it well close to the end of the Arkansas game when he started pulling up and dropping some floaters after the defenders dropped down. If we start hitting 3s closer to 42% it will allow Kessler to do whatever he wants. 

Edited by AUFightingSoldiers
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I recall back in the day, we used to run a double screen at the top of the key. Chuck Person would come around the screen and hit a 3 every time. Even when the D knew what was coming, they couldn't stop him. They didn't call him the rifleman for nothing! I could see Jabari doing the same thing. His smooth release at the top of his jump is also great to watch.

6 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Those pick and rolls will open up again if we have a consistent 3pt shooter sitting on the wing. Why guard a shooter that isnt hitting when you can just collapse on the cutter? Wendell started playing it well close to the end of the Arkansas game when he started pulling up and dropping some floaters after the defenders dropped down. If we start hitting 3s closer to 42% it will allow Kessler to do whatever he wants. 

That would be nice, I dunno how we develop a consistent 3 point shooter at this point, but we'll see!

On 2/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

do think auburn is incredibly versatile though. Like they’re going to be able to be a bad match up for the majority of teams. 

I think if we had one consistent (~38-40%) catch-and-shoot 3 point shooter (not counting Jabari) we might literally be unbeatable

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think if we had one consistent (~38-40%) catch-and-shoot 3 point shooter (not counting Jabari) we might literally be unbeatable

Definitely a fatal flaw that hurts them in specific matchups. If the opposite team is hitting like 50% from 3, and all we can trade is our usual offensive inefficiency, we’re in a bad spot. The version of Auburn from the past two games, the one that’s been generating good looks from beginning to end, that’s a team that’s a true top 2 team in CBB. I hope we have THAT in March

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn only fell a spot 

Goes to show that people are higher on Auburn than certain Auburn fans and that road games in a top conference are hard to win even if you have the best team in the country. We're still a top 5 team.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Goes to show that people are higher on Auburn than certain Auburn fans and that road games in a top conference are hard to win even if you have the best team in the country. We're still a top 5 team.

Yeah I doubted we’d fall out of the top 5 in the pure rankings. I don’t think much of Florida but they were 50th in NET and were RIGHT outside the bubble. The numbers don’t paint that as bad a loss as I or others thought of it 

• Like 1

Latest update on Lunardi bracket has us as the last 1 seed for now.  Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas, then Auburn. 

• 1 year later...