Living in Lexington, Ky. Surrounded by UK Fans after Auburn Win...

BHDAU1

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Never said you did but Zep is still not the worst out of the 10 starters. I'd take Zep over 3 of Kentucky's players and over KD. His defense is insane and has won us many games. He doesn't HAVE to be an offensive player because he knows what his role on the team is. I bet he could take over on offense though if he was needed in that role.

agree to disagree

29 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I hate to cherry pick but for the sake of the sour grapes that UK has, our win is not an oddity of late. We've won 6 of the last 11. They've owned us throughout the history of the series but they really should be used to us winning our share with Pearl on the sideline. I always respected them and even used to pull for them in the NCAA tournament when they played. The excuse making isn't a good look for them. Also, if I thought I could beat someone straight up the next time we played I'd definitely not try to talk them down. Praise in public, criticize in private, is great advice...too bad they didn't choose to do so. 

from what I see, its also rooted in a general dislike for the position UK has been in since the almost undefeated season. They've been passed up by a myriad of upstarts (Gonzaga, Nova) since then and I believe the other 3 blue bloods have either had more consistent success or further postseason success since then. 

31 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I hate to cherry pick but for the sake of the sour grapes that UK has, our win is not an oddity of late. We've won 6 of the last 11. They've owned us throughout the history of the series but they really should be used to us winning our share with Pearl on the sideline. I always respected them and even used to pull for them in the NCAA tournament when they played. The excuse making isn't a good look for them. Also, if I thought I could beat someone straight up the next time we played I'd definitely not try to talk them down. Praise in public, criticize in private, is great advice...too bad they didn't choose to do so. 

Also 4-2 in our last 6 against them. They're just not the top dog in the SEC right now. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Like fans like coach. This literally sounds like a little bit…baby, baby. I mean, lol. Come on dude. I’ve never seen a team/coach so salty 

206A9E9F-7B55-4998-B83A-88FC76C41604.jpeg

Cocky, entitled whining instead of a reasonable take.  Its a regular season SEC loss man.  Let it go.  It happens.  Make it up in the tourney.

Would've been fine to say 'We lost a close game to a talented SEC team in their home arena. Tough loss, we'll learn from it and be better in the next one.'  How hard is that?  Hell, I'm sure we'll probably be saying that at some point soon.  And we'll hold our heads up when we do. 

This sounds like a coach on his way down who knows that he's been passed.

• Like 1

Wait, he was seriously talking about the fact that we were selling standing room only tickets as if that was just because of Kentucky? Have there been home games that *weren't* sold out and standing room only yet this season?

Now, I will say that I think it was a big game...but no bigger than the LSU game we opened the SEC slate with except for the fact that it was the game we won to push us up to #1. 

So, essentially, this is Calipari playing to his fan base and giving them more reason to thump their chests like they're still the biggest deal in the country, rather than showing a little class. I already didn't have much respect for the man, but if there was any, it's gone now.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Cocky, entitled whining instead of a reasonable take.  Its a regular season SEC loss man.  Let it go.  It happens.  Make it up in the tourney.

Would've been fine to say 'We lost a close game to a talented SEC team in their home arena. Tough loss, we'll learn from it and be better in the next one.'  How hard is that?  Hell, I'm sure we'll probably be saying that at some point soon.  And we'll hold our heads up when we do. 

This sounds like a coach on his way down who knows that he's been passed.

I honestly think he is crying about, and making those statements to get some heat off of him.  He hasn’t really had UK at the top like they expect, and it’s not like he hasn’t gotten the talent to do it.

I wonder how much longer he gets to stay there with the results he’s given the last few years?

We beat Kentucky and didn't storm the court....I'm thinking Cal realizes that we are peers now. The victory itself was "just another" win over Kentucky

Edited by BigBlueWDE

12 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Never seen another team melt as hard as Kentucky. From the coaches to the players to the fans. We're 56 hours removed from the W and Kentucky can NOT stop talking about the L. Cal said we rushed the court. Lies. Was surprised that we had standing room only tickets selling for $250. Our A&M game has tickets for $325. He had no words about when his players danced on the court after beating unranked A&M. I hope we play them in the SEC Tourney and beat them by 20+.

die mad.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Like fans like coach. This literally sounds like a little bit…baby, baby. I mean, lol. Come on dude. I’ve never seen a team/coach so salty 

Calipari tears are the most delicious of tears!! 😋

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Zep is probably the worst player if you stacked all 10 players together, he essentially got played off of being the ball handler by Sahvir. I’d take either of their 2 guards over KD, but there’s games where he’ll look at that level. They’re just more stable. It really just comes down to how much you think our front court is better than theirs. I think the guard gap is wider than the front court one 

I think its amazing that it is even debatable that our starting 5 is as good as Kentucky's. I mean how many times has that happened over the years? Especially when its a really good Kentucky team like this one. Its kind of a new experience for us AU bball fans that we aren't in the love-able underdog role this season. We legit have a starting 5 that can match up with any team in the country and hold their own. Throw in the best bench and coach in the country and that is a championship recipe!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I think its amazing that it is even debatable that our starting 5 is as good as Kentucky's. I mean how many times has that happened over the years? Especially when its a really good Kentucky team like this one. Its kind of a new experience for us AU bball fans that we aren't in the love-able underdog role this season. We legit have a starting 5 that can match up with any team in the country and hold their own. Throw in the best bench and coach in the country and that is a championship recipe!!

I agree it is debateable, but I think what is being lost in the comparison of their starters vs our is the unit as a whole. So man for man, I think Tyty is better than our 2. I think Smith is better than their 4. I think the point guards offset each other for different reasons and the same for Flannigan and their 3. I would take Kessler over Tshiebwe every time. But as a unit, I think our starters fit together better than their five do. There is a reason that UK doesn't have more championships and final fours under Calipari, despite having arguably the most talented roster year in and year out. 

• Like 2

I do love what this reaction from Kentucky- at every level, it seems- will do for us as a program. As I said in another post, they are begging us to hate them and we are happy to comply. We're good at that. But the bigger point is that it builds and sustains interest. The fan base is tuned in and behind this team now like it's never been, but having a legitimate rival takes it to a different level. Sports needs villains and Kentucky have stepped up to the plate admirably. 

There might even come a time when Auburn matters a *lot* more than Kentucky on an annual basis, but we are still going to reciprocate the love they're showing us right now. 

This is good. This is fun. 

• Like 2

Just looking at some raw stats (starters only):

Conference rankings:

Scoring- UK 2 players in the top 15 (5,12) AU 2 players in top 15 (7,14) (Green is 15)

Assists- UK 2 players in the top 15 (1,5) AU 0 players in the top 15 (Green is 3rd Zep is 18)

Rebounds- UK 1 player in the top 15 (1) AU 2 players in the top 15 (6,9)

Blocks- UK 1 players in top 15 (4,) AU 2 players in the top 15 (1, 9)

Steals- UK 1 player in top 15 (14) AU 1 player in top 15 (2) (Green tied at 14)

This is without efficiency modifications, just raw totals and our starters who play less minutes hold up nicely compared to UK's. It would be lopsided in our favor is we started counting the bench.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

So this is how the baton gets handed off?

Just say, "we have to get back to work, we lost and Ty Ty not playing hurt us - all facts."  

We have beaten them more as of late than they have beaten us.  And we have punished them in tournaments.  He is afraid of Pearl I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

You think that would've been the majority's takeaway from my earlier post, that Auburn is in contention with a starting 5 that I explicitly stated I think may be one of the absolute best, but hey! Everyone views things differently. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t say Zep was bad, I said he was the worst player if you stack the 10 between the two teams together. I’ve been on here multiple times preaching why Zep is still starting and has been a contributor. 

Mark Twain said when you find yourself in a hole, set the shovel down.  

maybe good advice this time DT  

I have heard several people who know BB say Zep is a key factor in our early success.  If Pearl thought he was a liability, he would not play him.   Trust Pearl

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I agree it is debateable, but I think what is being lost in the comparison of their starters vs our is the unit as a whole. So man for man, I think Tyty is better than our 2. I think Smith is better than their 4. I think the point guards offset each other for different reasons and the same for Flannigan and their 3. I would take Kessler over Tshiebwe every time. But as a unit, I think our starters fit together better than their five do. There is a reason that UK doesn't have more championships and final fours under Calipari, despite having arguably the most talented roster year in and year out. 

This could be wrong interpretation, but it seems like you have Brooks closer to Jabari than you do Oscar to Walker Kessler? I'm not attempting to disagree with either assertion, but why is that? To be transparent, I think the two centers are basically equal if they were playing the field, and seemed to be essentially equal overall last Saturday (IMO). 

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Mark Twain said when you find yourself in a hole, set the shovel down.  

maybe good advice this time DT  

I have heard several people who know BB say Zep is a key factor in our early success.  If Pearl thought he was a liability, he would not play him.   Trust Pearl

You did not read any of my further posts on the topic if you think I was saying Zep was a liability

I don’t completely understand the reaction UK fans have had to this game. All I can figure is that it is like us losing to Clemson in football circa 2011. At least to me, it felt like we lost to an inferior team, and that hurt after a NC a year earlier. I didn’t know at the time that Clemson was building a legitimate program. Maybe these UK fans can’t fathom that Auburn is a legitimate basketball program now. That’s all I’ve got… The UK fans I know aren’t usually this bad.

53 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This could be wrong interpretation, but it seems like you have Brooks closer to Jabari than you do Oscar to Walker Kessler? I'm not attempting to disagree with either assertion, but why is that? To be transparent, I think the two centers are basically equal if they were playing the field, and seemed to be essentially equal overall last Saturday (IMO). 

Did not mean to convey that. Smith is clearly the better 4 and I agree the 5 is close, but I would take Kessler for sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Did not mean to convey that. Smith is clearly the better 4 and I agree the 5 is close, but I would take Kessler for sure. 

Gotcha. Yeah it’s fun looking at Walker vs Oscar, in a vacuum I think the former is significantly better. He was handicapped by UNC and I think his offense is still limited by the lack of dedicated touches here. Due to that and just how much of an elite linchpin Oscar is for that team, I consider it a lot closer.

I’ll play the “contextualized by playing as a system”  part too. I think the unit perspective raises the value of Zep. I think the system has made KD look better. Jabari and Kessler could be good anywhere IMO. I would also contend that this current iteration of UK players have far more team players than years past. Sahvir has been about the best facilitating SEC PG for two years now, Tyty is arguably the best playmaking PG in this entire draft, Grady is unselfish (and shouldn’t be), Brooks just exists and Oscar is also very unselfish. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby