Men vs Mizzou Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Looked to me (a basketball dumbass) that we killed them but couldnt get the ball to go in. Had enough looks for 90 points. Kessler looks tired. He played perfect Kessler-ball but in slow-motion. 

We were missing everything. Couldn't have played an uglier game. Luckily, we were playing an 8-10 team. And yeah, Kessler looks like he just rolled out of bed. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is it so much getting their best or we gave them our worst?

Yeah really. Mizzou had very little to do with how that game went. We missed shots all game we normally make. Just had an awful game and survived. Props to Mizzou, but we were our own enemy tonight.

• Like 1

This was a historic game by even our standards. Auburn shot 30% and still won. That’s the first time in a decade that happened. Imagine that. This was like 1 in 300 chance of happening and we still pulled out with a win. 

Plus, this will only help Auburn learn how to handle adversity in situations like these. Our offense was Antarctica cold and our defense pulled through to have just enough stops to secure the win. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Been coaching all evening missed game & just saw score…wtf? What happened? 

We didn’t play good, got the W, hopefully learned from it, move on to the next game. :) 

• Like 1

Fatigue, short break since Sat. emotional W, long trip to Mizzou. This was the perfect storm. Survive and advance, hoping the experience helps the team later

War Eagle boys, we fly the #1 banner for a bit longer

• Like 3

Really good to get a W after the #1 ranking. I think between that and being on the road there was a lot of pressing. Hopefully we loosen up now. 

4 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

I was wondering when a game like this would pop up. For some reason I did not think it would be tonight. Anyways, you need games like this to keep their heads on straight. 

I kinda had a bad feeling that we might be in for a letdown. Not sure if it was that, or the pressure of being #1 (and taking Mizzou's best shot), or being tired, or all of the above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

I kinda had a bad feeling that we might be in for a letdown. Not sure if it was that, or the pressure of being #1 (and taking Mizzou's best shot), or being tired, or all of the above.

It was the perfect storm in a lot of ways. I knew it but was in denial lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

At halftime, Mizz managed to sneak a lid on our rim.

KD found it.......

I actually think we have not been playing our best the past few games. KD has been strong though. Like Coach says, probably won’t win them all from here on out. We have like 10 games or more left. I would rather have a slump now and be rolling entering the tournaments at the end of the season. But would certainly like it it win an out of conference game Saturday too!

6 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Basically mirror image of first half of Ole Miss game in first half. But instead of making shots and extending lead in the 2nd half like the OM game, we couldn’t buy a bucket for most of the half. Cambridge stepped up in the offensive glass but missed front end of two 1 and 1’s. Jabari didn’t have his touch this game for the most part. KD took over in last 1:30 and scored last 5 points and dribbled out the final possession to escape with the W.

Just now, jw 4 au said:

I actually think we have not been playing our best the past few games. KD has been strong though. Like Coach says, probably won’t win them all from here on out. We have like 10 games or more left. I would rather have a slump now and be rolling entering the tournaments at the end of the season. But would certainly like it it win an out of conference game Saturday too!

I think a loss will cometoo, just hope it isn't a "bad" loss as this would have been. #1 seed is important statistically

Think of all the poor bastards sitting at their twitter keyboards just waiting for the final score to go up with us getting an L. Too bad chumps, you're gonna have to wait a while.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Offensive rebounding in the second half won that game. (and KD!)

Devan freaking Cambridge with NINE of them.

• Like 1

I was worried this was a trap game. We were so high playing Kentucky there is usually a let down. Missouri has shown they play well at home. Then to have two key players Jabari and Green  play their worst game this year. What kept us in the game was Kessler and KD, defense and rebounding. Kessler had a quite double double 12 rebounds 13 points and KD 17 points and he carried us down the stretch. We out rebounded them by 12 49 to 37. Our defense held them to 54 points. When you play great defense and rebound you have a chance to win the ugly games.

We only shot 30% for the game with 21% from 3. 28 of our 70 shots were 3 pointers.  Every team has at least one stinker game and to have that type game and still find a way to win is great. This should also get the teams attention so they don't have another night like tonight.

• Like 1

ALL road wins, no matter how ugly, are bonus points. MOST importantly, Wendell was able to re enter the game! Thank god. We cannot lose any of our guards. Stay healthy please!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is it so much getting their best or we gave them our worst?

Could be both. The thing is we shouldn't be given our worst at this stage. We need to be locked in. People hate when I bring this guy up but that is what makes NS so great. His teams, 9/10 times, are always locked in. Being a #1 seed and hopefully a future premier program at the college ball landscape, we will feel that now.